2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, The title of the thread says it all really. This is my wife's Crystal White Pearl Mazda3 GT.

This is her first brand new vehicle and she is totally in love with it (I'm pretty fond of it as well). She's not really into the whole customization thing so I'm not sure that she'll be really modding the car extensively...however I did convince her to do some basic upgrades, although it really didn't take much convincing.

The windows have been tinted and we've added an aftermarket security system . Additionally, the Bose "Premium" audio system has been replaced with something far superior. This new audio system was integrated into the vehicle and not the other way around.

The stock source unit was used and signals from it are passed to a JL Audio CleanSweep. From there they're amplified by a Hertz EP5 amplifier that sends 60 watts to each door speaker array and 160 watts to the sub. You can see the amplifer mounted under the rear deck next to the subwoofer enclosure.

The subwoofer enclosure houses a Kenwood Excelon KFC-XW1000F shallow mount subwoofer. The enclosure was bolted to the rear deck and fires through the Bose sub location. The enclosure and rear deck have a gasket between them to seal off the trunk from the interior of the vehicle to ensure good bass. The rear deck was also dampened with sound deadener to reduce it's vibration.

Kenwood Excelon XR-S17P shallow mount component speakers reside in the front doors with the woofer and tweeter both in the stock locations and Kenwood Excelon KFC-X1710P coaxials take up the stock locations in the rear doors.

She's really loving the car so far...now if only I could talk her into adding an intake, exhaust and lowering springs.:yes:

·
Registered
476 Posts
I was wondering since you have both trims, i.e. Grand Touring and Sport models...do you think you can look at the wiring connection for your wifes Bi-Xenon AFS Headlights compared to the wiring connection in our speed 3's headlights whenever you get a chance? The reason I ask is because I just love the look of those headlights on the GT and would like to convert it if it was just plug and play hehehe

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering since you have both trims, i.e. Grand Touring and Sport models...do you think you can look at the wiring connection for your wifes Bi-Xenon AFS Headlights compared to the wiring connection in our speed 3's headlights whenever you get a chance? The reason I ask is because I just love the look of those headlights on the GT and would like to convert it if it was just plug and play hehehe
I'll poke my head in there and see what they're like...I did notice that there's a lot less room around the back of the headlights in the GT, probably due to the ballasts that they had to mount as well as the adaptive lighting system motors (just a guess).

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is the stock Bose amp location where the Cleansweep is? How do the coaxials in the rear affect imaging or do you mostly have them turned off?

Edit: I missed the update to your other thread. Answered some of my questions.
Yeah...the Bose amp resides next to the CleanSweep in her vehicle, both under the passenger's seat.

As far at the imaging in her car, it's far less "accurate" than in mine and I can defintely tell that the rear speakers pull it back a little but she was more concerned with having adequate "fill" back there for when she's got our daughter with her. Different priorities...

·
Resident MacGyver
2,227 Posts
Yeah...the Bose amp resides next to the CleanSweep in her vehicle, both under the passenger's seat.

As far at the imaging in her car, it's far less "accurate" than in mine and I can defintely tell that the rear speakers pull it back a little but she was more concerned with having adequate "fill" back there for when she's got our daughter with her. Different priorities...
So there's room for the cleansweep AND the bose amp under the passenger seat? Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed.

Yeah, I assumed that might have been part of the reason. Nothing wrong with those different priorities. I'm sure it's very practical for her. Good performance with essentially no loss of space.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.