2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Baseline Dyno at Superior Automotive. Special thanks for them to accommodate me. JBR intake, Ultimate Racing axle-back muffler, 91 Octane, before OVT tune.
Seems like a healthy 2.0. Just curious... Is there any reason for the difference in hp and tq between runs? Fair amount of torque difference between run 1 and 4. Heat soak not adjusted by the dyno program?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
That might be it. Gentleman told me it decreased due to temperature. Didn't think it would fluctuate that far of a Delta. I can ask him later.

Update: Heat soak.

Baseline Dyno at Superior Automotive. Special thanks for them to accommodate me. JBR intake, Ultimate Racing axle-back muffler, 91 Octane, before OVT tune.
Seems like a healthy 2.0. Just curious... Is there any reason for the difference in hp and tq between runs? Fair amount of torque difference between run 1 and 4. Heat soak not adjusted by the dyno program?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Really surprised by the torque graph on the dyno, confirms my suspicions from my butt dyno.
Would be curious to see the AFR and Ignition maps from the runs.

Wheels look great!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Quick update. Just received my last tune from OVT. Car drives a bit more aggressive now. Need to make an appointment to get a dyno delta check. Expecting in the upcoming weeks. Looking for recommendations for camshaft installers for OVT Stage 1.

·
My Other Car is a Holden
74 Posts
Final tune. SAE. Stock 16" tires at 36 psi.
I'm not trying to be negative, but it appears that there was little change from your baseline bolt-on dyno (w/ heatsoak) and your follow-up tuned dyno.

Are there more factors to the story of the second dyno? I see the graphs are not scaled exactly the same, but the torque curve and peaks look very similar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
I'm only providing data for others. My baseline dyno with bolt-ons used premium octane so technically I don't have actual baseline on 87 octane. My assumption is the high compression SkyActiv likes premium fuel and the tune compensates a little for it. OVT reduced knocking for my tune and said normally stock baseline is 120-125 hp and this is what is expected.

Also this was done on a different day with cooler, different temperature and more humidity. 92 degrees 25% humidity for baseline. 80 degrees and 56% humidity for tuned. Ideally dynos should be done in same environment, same day, etc. Taken with a grain of salt on numbers. It was measured in SAE instead of STD.

The scaling is different because I requested a bigger view of the A/F ratio and numbers dumped on another sheet for Mat to analyze.

Final tune. SAE. Stock 16" tires at 36 psi.
I'm not trying to be negative, but it appears that there was little change from your baseline bolt-on dyno (w/ heatsoak) and your follow-up tuned dyno.

Are there more factors to the story of the second dyno? I see the graphs are not scaled exactly the same, but the torque curve and peaks look very similar.

·
Registered
31 Posts
How has 1/4 and 1/2 throttle changed with the OV Tune? as well as throttle response? I have been on the fence about getting the OV tune for quite some time now, I am hoping the tune can make the throttle act more like a real ( cable operated) gas pedal. I am at the point to where I trade my car in and take a loss, or spend $550 and hopefully be happy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #30 (Edited)
This is my daily and after getting the JBR short shift adapter and the tune, it was much more fun around town. Throttle in 1st and 2nd gear is a tad better but I'm looking to invest in the throttle calibration update from OVT.
https://www.ovtuned.com/collections/mazda/products/mazda-throttle-calibration-update-tune
Their update for $59 will change the throttle response and can suit your needs. If you're looking at quicker and linear, check out the posts here:
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums/2014-2018-mazda-3-skyactiv-engine-performance/217706-new-throttle-map-ov.html
Note: Only issue I can think of is it's loaded the same way so you'd have to invest in a tune regardless.

Cheers.

How has 1/4 and 1/2 throttle changed with the OV Tune? as well as throttle response? I have been on the fence about getting the OV tune for quite some time now, I am hoping the tune can make the throttle act more like a real ( cable operated) gas pedal. I am at the point to where I trade my car in and take a loss, or spend $550 and hopefully be happy.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
2020 update.
Roughly 10k since getting it tuned. Still running strong and fun to drive. Took the wheels off since I daily in the desert. Summer is coming up so I'll put them back on soon. Finally got the time to put on the JBR suspension and rear sway bar. Lowered it to leave almost 2 finger fender gap. The mudflaps and bottom part of the bumper loves the speed bumps and dips when tires are tucked in the fenders at default height. I'm too old for the slammed life. I think 1-1.5" drop is fine. SSR wheels will be back on in the upcoming week. After a few hundred miles, I'll get an alignment and adjust the damper settings (super soft default, 32 adjustments) in addition to the camber.

Attachments

21 - 32 of 32 Posts