2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After having the car for over a year...I resisted the urge to modify my daily. It's going to change now. Living in the high desert but still making it out to track meets with occasional mountain cruises with my Acura to check out the scene.

July 16, 2016

Goals:
1. Keep the car for at least 20 years.
2. Bolt-ons with reviews, aesthetics, and a tune. Not big on power (would have gotten the 2.5L).
3. Baseline dyno, add parts, dyno, tune, dyno - provide that data to the forums!
4. Landscape shots
5. And much more!

Cheers,
Sloth

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Picked these up a year ago but haven't done anything with them until my warranty goes out.
OVT Skyactiv 2.0L Stage 1.5 Cam Combo

BUT! These came in last week. OVT Mazda Kit

I'm going to have to look around for a reputable shop anywhere between San Bernardino County to OC to SD for a baseline dyno before adding any bolt-ons and tune. Any recommendations? More to come!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Since I'm an eager beaver, here's what else came in the mail just in time before the holidays:

James Barone Racing Mud Flaps

James Barone Racing Power Path Stage I SkyActiv Short Ram Intake

James Barone Racing Skyactiv Short Shift Arm Adapter w/ Cable Bracket Bushings and Shifter Base Bushings

James Barone Racing Tru-Torsion .125 Adjustable Rear Sway Bar w/ Tru-Torsion Brackets

Looking to install some of these before the New Year with a review.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice. the Rear sway will make a big difference.

You must have the Mistu ECU since you are doing a tune the "harder" way.
Have you tested your rear sway on your Mazda on the track? I'm curious to see the feel. Besides visual checking, how would one know that I have a Mitsubishi ECU rather than a DENSO? And why would it be considered tuning the "harder" way if I went through OVT?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I have not tracked my car, i just know it felt alot better after i installed a Corksport Rear Sway Bar.
Well if you have the denso Ecu you can get the handheld tuner. that allows you to change between 5 different tunes.

·
Super Moderator
4,955 Posts
You don't really need to put the car on a track to see the difference that a sway bay makes in this car. Just drive it around the block a couple times and the improvement will be readily apparent.
If you haven't done so already, you might want to figure in some new tires to take advantage of the improved handling capabilities. The OEM tires are for the most part bottom of the barrel commuter tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finally got around to installing the JBR intake and short shifter arm plate. Also did the bushings for the cable bracket and shifter base. Also found out my ECU is Mitsubishi. Good to know. Thanks to JBR for the high quality goods and packaging. RSB installation coming soon and possible product reviews. Still waiting from OVT for a license for tuning.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
These just came in. Ultimate Racing axle-back muffler. Purchased with single wall tips. Waiting on rolled tips and titanium for comparisons. Will baseline Dyno before putting these on to see power deltas for bolt-ons before tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How much of a weight difference is there between the 2 exhausts, does it change the driving dynamics?
I can get you the exact measurements today. Shipping weight was 29 lbs with the box and padding was around 9lbs. I expect 20lbs for the system weight roughly.

Driving Dynamics? Aside from mild aggression there won't be a noticeable difference until after my tune.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
New tips came in from Ultimate Racing. Double wall angle-cut rolled. These weighed 1 lb, 3.7 oz and 1 lb, 3.8 oz. Combining this with the axle-back including accuseal clamps minus the bushings came out to 21 lbs.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Looks good. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I need to figure out what to do with my exhaust. Borla axle back and a CS midpipe maybe...possibilities...
CK

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ultimate Racing muffler after a wash. I like how I'm given options for tips. The double walled rolled angle cut looks nicer and cleaner IMO but it was backordered a few months. Looks similar to Borla. Haven't heard back regarding titanium single walled angled by request. Since the clamps are on the ends, alignment on each side made my OCD go nuts. I'm okay with this for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
New wheels came in. SSR GTX01 18x8.5 +44. Planning on running 235/35/18 or 245/40/18. Daily going to be looking a little nicer. More to come.

Also sent datalogs out to OVT. They're out in Asia and Mazda updates will be delayed. At least I'm on the queue.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 32 Posts