2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this is my 3rd oil change and they used the correct oil this time. Either my foot is getting heavier and I am more aggressively driving or something is wrong. Anyone have any thoughts? Tire pressure was adjusted same time they changed oil and rotated tires. I was getting an avg of 29 now I am down to 27. I know it's only 2 mpg but still I expected at 15,000 miles mpg would go up not down!

·
Registered
437 Posts
So this is my 3rd oil change and they used the correct oil this time. Either my foot is getting heavier and I am more aggressively driving or something is wrong. Anyone have any thoughts? Tire pressure was adjusted same time they changed oil and rotated tires. I was getting an avg of 29 now I am down to 27. I know it's only 2 mpg but still I expected at 15,000 miles mpg would go up not down!
Where do you live? It's getting colder, that affects MPG quite a bit.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't the gasoline blends vary with the seasons? My last two cars always got 2-3 MPG less in the winter months.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
^^^ Bingo. This is the correct answer. Also if the dealer filled the tires in a moderately warm garage the psi will drop 2-3 psi in cold outdoor temps. Fill the tires to the correct psi on a cold evening and they will be good to go.

·
Registered
752 Posts
besides tire pressure and gasoline mixtures.. 2mpg over the course of one tank isnt really enough. 2mpg could have been an excessively windy day on the highway or sitting and idling more than usual.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason this bothers me is I purchased my car last year on Dec 28th. I live north of DC in MD. So Mid Atlantic USA. I was consistently getting 29mpg on my daily commute into Baltimore via regular roads (not highway) till actually the summer time is when it dropped. It just seemed weird it dropped when I thought typically if anything over time it would increase. Maybe I am just being too picky.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't know how some of you guys even get below 30MPG. I feel like I have a heavy foot and I always get mid 30s city driving in DC. If I try to consciously get good gas mileage then I can get close to 40mpg in the city. Maybe there differences in the way our cars were broken in.... What do you get on cruise going around 60 mph? I always achieve 50mpg+ on flat ground at this speed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know how some of you guys even get below 30MPG. I feel like I have a heavy foot and I always get mid 30s city driving in DC. If I try to consciously get good gas mileage then I can get close to 40mpg in the city. Maybe there differences in the way our cars were broken in.... What do you get on cruise going around 60 mph? I always achieve 50mpg+ on flat ground at this speed.
WOW that is awesome for DC. I am in the S Touring model so the 2.5L engine. Are you in one of the I models 2.0L engine?

·
Registered
128 Posts
WOW that is awesome for DC. I am in the S Touring model so the 2.5L engine. Are you in one of the I models 2.0L engine?

I have the 2.0L, I've heard a few people say the gap of 2 mpg is a lot wider than advertised by Mazda between the two engines. But ya I've definitely never seen my average below 30mpg. Again city (Arlington and DC) is 34-36 mpg with heavy foot (more if I consciously try), and highway traffic like route 66 from dc to fairfax and back is 40mpg+. And a constant 60mph like wide open toll road 267 for 60 miles there and back (both ways) on cruise easily over 50mpg. I've reset the avg to observe all of these driving styles and collected these "averages" over the course of many days just driving in the city.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am also wondering since my mechanic is not using Mazda 0-20w oil if this is the issue. I am reading where Mazda oil has better MPG results?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also I'm still on the original factory oil and I'm sitting at 7,250 miles and 8 months. I was gonna change it early but my dealership advised me to follow the normal schedule maintenance which is coming up 7,500 miles. They said the contaminants help the engine break in better and act as light sandpaper if you will, to smooth down any friction spots. Any major contaminants that would cause damage to the engine would get caught by the oil filter. I also followed the break in procedure in the manual. So for all you guys who insist to change it early, well just saying, I'm sitting on 7,250 miles with the original oil and getting better gas mileage than advertised. Maybe your engines have more friction since they never had time to break in because you put a new batch of brand new "slippery" oil in them.

Also I don't have time to research this topic right now, but I thought engines that ran on synthetic, on the first batch manufacturers put something different in since synthetic works so good it can't break the engine in....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts