2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all. I did a lot of searching, but could not find definitive answers. I'm moving to California from Maryland, and my questions are:

- If I already have an intake and CBE, will I have to drop them both in order to be legal, or are out of state cars given an exception, so long as they pass smog tests?

- The only headers I know of for MZ3s is the MSDS header, but are there CARB approved headers or should I get those installed prior to moving as well?

- Assuming that I'm forced to downgrade my vehicle, what brand of intake and CBE can I get that are CARB approved? I think Injen is one of them, but I couldn't find an exhaust brand. I have Magnaflows, which I think are CARB approved, but I want to be sure. I already know my SRI needs to be taken out.

- While I have a CBE, I'm thinking about going with a straight pipe. Is there anyway I can pull this off clandestinely and still keep my o2 sensors and not arouse the attention once I get there? Also interested in ways to make the exhaust not so noisy, since a set of headers and intake will open up the car already. My research indicates that if I use the MS3 catback, I should be fine, but then I drive an i Sport, so I don't have the dual exhaust frame, I think. Also willing to settle for hi flow cat, but can't seem to find any.

I really appreciate any and all input.

·
Celest Zoom-Zoom
4,919 Posts
A cat back exhaust won't make you fa smog. You would have to eliminate one if the catalytic converters to fail smog.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Or buy the headers, don't install them yet since taxes and shipping are killers here. I have the CS SRI and RB ABE and I passed the smog. Another hint, if you're military, keep on your decals. I didn't get the smog for a year.

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
Headers will fail inspection.. Intake will fail inspection.. If the exhaust is loud that will fail inspection.. Your dealing with moronic bureaucrats, whose sole purpose in life is to make ur life miserable... So stock it out pass inspection then install em back on

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
21 Posts
Your dealing with moronic bureaucrats, whose sole purpose in life is to make ur life miserable... So stock it out pass inspection then install em back on
+1 to this. I highly suggest keeping all your upgrades and stock parts and just swapping stock back on for one day every two years. If you're good with doing it all yourself, you're about to get even better at it!

·
Registered
184 Posts
You get a chance to fix things - some test places will retest for free - if you fail smog anyhow.

-Crissa

·
Just Getting Started
105 Posts
C.A.R.B Stickers required... you can have any mod on your car as long as it has a C.A.R.B. Stick on the part.

ie:

So make sure the parts have them, only thing you then will have to worry about is passing SMOG test.

·
Just Getting Started
105 Posts
Where can you buy these stickers? ;)

You can request one if the product didnt have one when you purchased it, as long as the product is C.A.R.B. Certifide. Not everything is..

But if you can get away with it you can find one often on ebay or forums for products that usually have them...

however header's and such it is usually welded on.

·
Registered
102 Posts
As long as you know it will pass emissions, you're fine.

A lot of places don't care about the visual inspection as long as you have a known brand name on the parts.
Some places don't even check..(you just gotta find the right place, took me like 3 places to find a place that don't care for my other car) places won't fail you for inspection, they will look and advise you not to start the test, you don't got to pay. Just be nice!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
If he is moving from Maryland doesn't he have to pass the DMV inspection to get California plates.. Smog you can cheat ur way out I don't know about the DMV inspection though

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts