2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Mazda 3 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Mazda friends,
My Mazda 3 BP Skyactive M 2.0 from 2019 has high motor rpm directly after ignition. Okay, it‘s only 2000rpm but I guess it‘s a little bit much, and because of that the motor start is a little bit loud. After shifting to gear 1 and driving, the idle motor is around 1000rpm. When the motor wakes up after i-stop the idle rpm is around 1000 too.
Is this normal? It‘s not cold outside (over 15°C) at the moment.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello Mazda friends,
My Mazda 3 BP Skyactive M 2.0 from 2019 has high motor rpm directly after ignition. Okay, it‘s only 2000rpm but I guess it‘s a little bit much, and because of that the motor start is a little bit loud. After shifting to gear 1 and driving, the idle motor is around 1000rpm. When the motor wakes up after i-stop the idle rpm is around 1000 too.
Is this normal? It‘s not cold outside (over 15°C) at the moment.
Completely normal. All Skyactive engines do it as its part of the "accelerated warm up" process. It will idle fast until it starts to sense a little heat, the colder out it is the longer it will do it for (not longer than maybe 30 seconds). Its usually best to wait until the idle has come down before you put it in gear and start to drive but not necessary.

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Completely normal. All Skyactive engines do it as its part of the "accelerated warm up" process. It will idle fast until it starts to sense a little heat, the colder out it is the longer it will do it for (not longer than maybe 30 seconds). Its usually best to wait until the idle has come down before you put it in gear and start to drive but not necessary.
Nothing to do with warming up the engine. Its an emissions thing. Whats happening is the ECU is retarding the timing and adding a bit of fuel to get the cat to operating temperature faster.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,269 Posts
Wait for the RPMs to drop.
CK

·
Registered
Mazda 3 2019
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the answers. :)
That‘s reassuring to know. Makes sense. Thought maybe something is wrong with the engine. :eek:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts