2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Street Unit - Ninja Killa
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you all think of these rims on my car? I think the red will highlight my re calipers. Any thoughts? I wanna get some more red accents on my car as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
987 Posts
very nice, man! weight?

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Size: 18x8
Offset: 45mm
Backspacing: 5.86"
Weight: 23.6

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Nice wheel but kinda heavy. Shoot for 20 lbs or less. You'll be happy you did. Your car will feel more responsive with lighter wheels. Wheels that are that heavy are gravity cast. Look for a low pressure cast wheel. They are stronger, lighter and resist bending a lot better. They don't cost much more either.

Wheel quality from worst to best:
1) Gravity cast
2) Low pressure cast
3) High pressure cast w/high pressure roll formed rim (Enkei M.A.T. & TSW Nurburgring roatary forged, select Konig, forgestar, Wedsport, ect)
4) Forged (molten ingot pounded into shape), (High end Volk, SSR, Motegi Trak lite, ect)

I'm sure there may be some other combinations of the above but these are the basic manufacturing scenarios. You get what you pay for. Get the best you can afford.

·
Registered
238 Posts
i guess i got you going with the wheels, ROFL those look great, and to be honest a few pounds not going to make a diff. Your not setting the car up for the track. Get them:)

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
If your not rocking lightweight wheels you don't know what your missing on the street. Better handling, braking and acceleration. Shaving unsprung weight equals upgraded performance, not just engine mods.

Reactions: jam480

·
Registered
987 Posts
i agree with warlord and cpeckvt. i want a 2nd set of lightweight wheels for my car. mine look awesome (in my opinion), but @ 24lbs are a bit on the heavy side. add a 15lb tire and you're looking @ almost 40lbs before airing up. there is a trade-off when it comes to price and weight.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Hey Warlord, while I do appreciate your opinion I do know that lighter wheels make a diff.. this is in my budget. they are like 150 a wheel. If you got 3.300 I can have I will cop some gramlights I want these but hey they are like 23 lbs each and they are like $810 a rim. But, Like Cpecktv said, I am not tracking the car, even though I maybe buying some Cobb sways.

Either way if I lost 3 lbs a rim that would not make much diff. It takes 100 lbs and make a 1/10 sec on a quarter mile.. you telling me a total of 12 lbs will make a diff... I would be better off going on a diet.. lol or kicking my girl out the car. you know what I can do .. take out my spare and jack... that is more than 20lbs... what do you guys think?? it would be the same as have 17 lbs rims

Cpecktv.. you have no idea what grief my girl gave me for even bringing up rims.. lol

Attachments

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I could get these instead, and be cool like someone I know.. They are Konig - Illusion for those who dont know.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
Hey Warlord, while I do appreciate your opinion I do know that lighter wheels make a diff.. this is in my budget. they are like 150 a wheel. If you got 3.300 I can have I will cop some gramlights I want these but hey they are like 23 lbs each and they are like $810 a rim. But, Like Cpecktv said, I am not tracking the car, even though I maybe buying some Cobb sways.

Either way if I lost 3 lbs a rim that would not make much diff. It takes 100 lbs and make a 1/10 sec on a quarter mile.. you telling me a total of 12 lbs will make a diff... I would be better off going on a diet.. lol or kicking my girl out the car. you know what I can do .. take out my spare and jack... that is more than 20lbs... what do you guys think?? it would be the same as have 17 lbs rims

Cpecktv.. you have no idea what grief my girl gave me for even bringing up rims.. lol
I know you Mazdaspeed guys have each others backs. If you look again my post suggests pressure cast wheels not take out a second mortgage on forged wheels. I know price is important otherwise you wouldn't be looking at Motegi in the first place. Wanna get the drop on evo's off the line instead of getting destoyed, get lighter wheels and wider tires so you can get the jump and actually hook up quicker. Mitsu has u beat both ways. More hp and less unspring weight. Evo=18 lb wheels. MS3=25 lb wheels. If you like those Konigs here's some pics of the real deal. Wedsport SA-55M.

P.S. I knew my post would stir up the shit, that's partly the reason I posted it in the first place. :mellow 1:

Attachments

Reactions: jam480

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You are not stirring anything up.. I like debating...lol. The thing is I am not trying to beat evos.. if I wanna watch them get beat Cpecktv can do that... It was not a Mazdaspeed thing I just met Cpecktv last thurs (cool guy) so we have talked in person. I totally know what you mean as to the weight of the wheel and unsprung weight.. But all the power I personally want is like 280-300 to the wheels. btw we live in south florida there is no such thing as a stock evo.. they are all at least 350 HP... the rims I want are 8" wide I can fit a 235 on there if I wanted..

P.S. I came from a 140hp toyota celica.. this car has more power than I could dream of as of right now.. I am fine with it ... and the Motegi's are a few pounds lighter than stock so at least I am going the the right direction.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I wasn't really condemming those wheels. More like there are other choices that may be better at similar price. You still have an awesome car whether you have super light wheels or not.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
Listen get what ever you think looks good then look at the weight, if you don't mind the extra weight get the ones that look better, because in the end you'll like how they look and not give two fucks if they are light.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
warlord: Trust me I have been looking at wheels for this car since I bought it last month

hedp_pl: Correct and this is what I've done..

So they have 18x8 and 18x9 which should I get and with what offset 35 of 45

EliteWholesale.com has them pretty cheap $626 shipped.

·
Making People Mad
832 Posts
18x9 +35

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
with 235/40 tires then?

·
1,272 Posts
Not to add more fuel to the fire, but...

Either way if I lost 3 lbs a rim that would not make much diff.
Actually, it would make a noticeable difference.

It takes 100 lbs and make a 1/10 sec on a quarter mile.. you telling me a total of 12 lbs will make a diff... I would be better off going on a diet.. lol or kicking my girl out the car. you know what I can do .. take out my spare and jack... that is more than 20lbs... what do you guys think?? it would be the same as have 17 lbs rims
I think you are confused between sprung and unsprung weight. Wheels are unsprung weight, and therefore make a big difference in how your car handles.

Sprung vs. unsprung weight.

Simply put, sprung weight is everything from the springs up, and unsprung weight is everything from the springs down. Wheels, shock absorbers, springs, knuckle joints and tyres contribute to the unsprung weight. The car, engine, fluids, you, your passenger, the kids, the bags of candy and the portable Playstation all contribute to the sprung weight. Reducing unsprung weight is the key to increasing performance of the car. If you can make the wheels, tyres and swingarms lighter, then the suspension will spend more time compensating for bumps in the road, and less time compensating for the mass of the wheels etc.
The greater the unsprung weight, the greater the inertia of the suspension, which will be unable to respond as quickly to rapid changes in the road surface.
As an added benefit, putting lighter wheels on the car can increase your engine's apparent power. Why? Well the engine has to turn the gearbox and driveshafts, and at the end of that, the wheels and tyres. Heavier wheels and tyres require more torque to get turning, which saps engine power. Lighter wheels and tyres allow more of the engine's torque to go into getting you going than spinning the wheels. That's why sports cars have carbon fibre driveshafts and ultra light alloy wheels.
Source

Rotational mass also plays a large part in wheel performance. Ever wonder why guys who race don't use 20" rims? lol.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
I know the difference but thanks for posting it... so everyone else can read it... and 16's or 17's would be best for racing, We are talking about street driving right?.... I know I am buying 18's. anyways... It will make a noticeable difference you say (good thing the motegi's are 2.5 pounds lighter than stock so I can feel that difference...lol) I know what Rotational Mass is as well.

Dammit I just got the fire under control and you wanna bring some kerosine... HAHAHA

P.S. "Heavier wheels and tires require more torque to get turning" good thing my car has more torque than it can handle...

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
We are talking about street driving right?.... I know what Rotational Mass is as well.

Reducing unsprung weight is something you'll feel every time you get in the car and hit the gas, step on the brake or turn the wheel. If you like your MS3 now you'll love it even more with lighter wheels. If more performance for a tenth of what bolt on hp costs doesn't float your boat then it's all good by me. If it's going to mean that your gonna have to sleep on the couch then MR116 were made for you. I do like the color just not the weight. As far as the difference between 18x8+35 and 18x9+35 with 235/40. It's flush vs. stretched hellaflush with extra camber to avoid the poked look.. 8.5+35 is perfect for a MS3 but they don't come in that size.

·
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Oh boy...I totally understand. It is you that does not understand.. I am talking about street driving not racing. This is my daily driver I may punch it every now and then, but I don't race or track it where every second counts. I dont even plan on taking my car to a drag strip. I do appreciate you opinion though and thanks.

In any case the Motegi MR116 are lighter than the stock wheels. These wheel will meet my needs, Thank you for your input..... It is not like I am asking advise on chrome rims.

so do you think it would be better to get the 8" wide rims w/ a 235/40 and If I were to get the 9" wide ones would I need more tire? 245" also with rims that wide would it rub under a wheel locking turn.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts