2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about two weeks ago I got my Injen SRI for my 2.5L and it has been excellent so far...silent during normal driving but a low rumble and noticeable pull when I put my foot down a bit.

Seeing that was my first mod and I am budget-conscious for the time being (hooray for getting a 2.5L hatchback at invoice price last year :biggrin: ), I was wondering what you all thought were the most practical/cost efficient mods to do. I am in California, so I have to worry about all of those CARB shenanigans, so I think the only real options for mods are a CBE or lightweight wheels. I know a bunch of suspension stuff is available too, but I will get that later on.

So the real question is which will get me the most performance...CBE or lightweight wheels? For the wheels, I am thinking the OZ ultraleggera/alleggerita which are expensive but would result in a massive loss in unsprung weight.

Also feel free to chime in if you would recommend wheels other than 17x7. I figure if I stick with 17x7 I can use the stock tires that only have about 1900 miles on them at this point.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
In a Porsche 944, every 10lbs shed in wheels is 1 whp. I doubt the same holds true in our case but I think lightweight wheels are good. Better mpg's, better braking, better handling, better acceleration. I shed .3 sec 0-60 with wheels. I know nothing about the tunes or exhausts. OZ's are expensive so doesnt that defeat the budget conscious thing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I definitely want to wait on the tune because the car is new and a warranty for years to come and will probably do it once I do everything else.

3i2011, thanks for the info about the wheels! I have been looking into those more recently and want something that is lightweight but also something that can deal with some potholes/rough roads here. I only mentioned the OZ's because I can get them in bronze and I think that's the color I want...but yes, definitely a budget issue :sad 1:

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts
The dynotronics tune seems to yield the most power gain for the price. Don't expect to throw an exhaust on the car and feel night an day difference, it isn't until you add a header can you even feel an exhaust mod.
Super true about the header. I actually own the OZ Ultraleggera's are they are damn light for a 17x8 pressure-cast wheel(Stronger than gravity cast for those who don't know). New and lighter wheels are always a good choice and I recommend finding some used; I got mine for $500 pick-up from a ClubRSX guy in MD. I finally got some new wheels in March after having the car since summer 2010 just because I get new mods when the opportunity presents itself and in my case, it was tax returns. I say if something you want appears and you can get a good deal, pick that up rather than planning extensively. Also, a RSB does wonders for the handling.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are there any CARB legal exhaust headers available at the moment?

·
Registered
4,313 Posts
I definitely want to wait on the tune because the car is new and a warranty for years to come and will probably do it once I do everything else.

3i2011, thanks for the info about the wheels! I have been looking into those more recently and want something that is lightweight but also something that can deal with some potholes/rough roads here. I only mentioned the OZ's because I can get them in bronze and I think that's the color I want...but yes, definitely a budget issue :sad 1:
I have 16" TSW Trackstar 5's. They are 17lb, cost $125 each. I dont know many bronze wheels. 5zeign fno1rc are like 15.5 lbs and $200 each.

·
College Zoom-Zoom
3,248 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
They are that cheap unless you bump up in size. 18s are like a grand new or so depending on style.
True, if you want to go big then that means more money and weight. Comparatively speaking though, the OP could find some Rota wheels that are several hundreds less than the OZ ultraleggera/alleggerita wheels and they would be in the same ballpark weight wise.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the advice! I will definitely look into the ROTA wheels! Now to find a style I like and make a final decision on what color I want...SO MANY OPTIONS!!! :eek:hmy 1:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts