2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I have a 2011 Mazda 3 Sport (2.5L 5-Speed ATX) with roughly 11000km on the odometer. I'm taking it in next week due to a rattle/knocking sound/clicking between 800-2000RPM (on take off). I noticed today that if I pull the dipstick while the engine is running, there appears to be some air pressure coming from the dipstick tube, has sort of an exhaust-like low "bass-y" sound to it. Feel absolutely free to laugh (I'm new to the mazda 3 world) but is this a normal occurrence for these engines? I don't remember this with any of my previous vehicles (mostly 6-cyl). Any advice you all could give would be great. Also, has anyone experienced the knocking/clicking described above? Thanks in advance!

·
Just call me Rabbit
480 Posts
It's probably the purge valve. I had this discussion with the dealer and a clicking/tick sound is normal.

Sent from a rabbit hole

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
yes that is normal from the dipstick tube too. that is called crank case pressure. normal.it will happen too if you take the oil fill cap off ( beware it will spit oil everywhere )

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup, crankcase pressure. You should be safe. What v6's were you running that didn't have pressure?

-Tyler
Hahaha I said I "didn't remember" if it had pressure. :stuart: I had a Mazda 6 with the 6cyl in it, and a Ford Taurus. I guess the ticking/rattle/google'ing has me paranoid. The car has been great except for that. I actually like it much better than my 6. Especially with regards to handling. Makes my six look like a Buick. Thanks to you and everyone else for the replies man. I'll drop back to this thread with an update after the dealer visit next week. This forum is awesome.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Hahaha I said I "didn't remember" if it had pressure. :stuart: I had a Mazda 6 with the 6cyl in it, and a Ford Taurus. I guess the ticking/rattle/google'ing has me paranoid. The car has been great except for that. I actually like it much better than my 6. Especially with regards to handling. Makes my six look like a Buick. Thanks to you and everyone else for the replies man. I'll drop back to this thread with an update after the dealer visit next week. This forum is awesome.
Sorry, I mis-read your previous post :(. Good luck with the visit. I'm sure everything will work out.

-Tyler

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, I mis-read your previous post :(. Good luck with the visit. I'm sure everything will work out.

-Tyler
haha, not a problem dude. I appreciate the response! Knowing the pressure is normal puts me a little more at ease haha. Would you believe I'm generally pretty good with cars? Can't believe I never noticed the pressure from these areas before hahaha. Yea, I'm sure it will work out. Only 11000km, ALL maintenance preformed by the dealer, even popped the stock air-box back in for good measure (also do this for oil changes haha) :yes:

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Not a stupid question! Your just looking out for your precious car lol

Reactions: mazda6780

·
Black Mica
374 Posts
No such thing as a stupid question. It's only stupid if you don't ask it.

Reactions: mazda6780
1 - 9 of 9 Posts