2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Down 280 HP & loving it
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Another case of a product being the best of its kind, yet falling short in key areas.

Morimoto is a well known name in the HID retrofitting industry and their projectors are generally really nice units. Having read the glowing reviews of this particular fog light retrofit for our cars, I was optimistic about the resultant upgrade in visibility. There are heaps of pictures of other vehicles with these "XB" fogs online showing crisp cutoff lines and wide throws of light.

I'm wondering if these are the right projectors or are the ones other reviewers were raving about. There is a huge amount of glare projecting upwards, narrow beam pattern, and a very hazy and indistinct cutoff line. For the record, the glare isn't a result of the chrome bezels on the fog light trim or the orientation of the housing; I've got a full range of adjustment up and down.

It does a good job of throwing light downrange and it matches the Osram CBIs I have installed, but it's just not what I was expecting based upon the reviews and images I browsed when making a purchase decision. It would also be nice if the cover was glass instead of a plastic composite. Not sure this is worth the cost.

This glare is upwards of 30' in height - awful considering the car was only 6' away from this building.

This is as low as these can be adjusted in our housings, having removed the extra material in the adjustment bolt's channel. At 20'+. the fog pattern sits about 6" above the HID's cutoff line.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Where did you purchase them, The Retrofit Store?

·
Registered
730 Posts
I doubt any dedicated "fog lights" help much in the fog.

Today's low-beams with their projector cut-offs do about as good a job as possible in illuminating the road in the fog without excessive blow-back lighting.

I believe "fog lights" were invented early in the last century because regular low-beams without cut-off projectors threw a lot of light upwards, thus creating a visibility problem. Of course, in order for fog lights to really help, you would need to run without the regular headlights on, which in many places is illegal to do. Today, "fog lights" seem to be a fashion statement with little other practical use.

The fog lights in my '15 with 55-watt halogen bulbs didn't add anything to my visibility. So, I installed 8-watt LEDs in their H11 sockets and use the lamps as DRLs. They work good for that and allowed disabling the OEM's DRLs, which use up some of the life of the high beams which, indeed, are needed and useful for nighttime duty.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts