2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow. That's all I gotta say...

I bought these things on a whim because I know they're a rare part -- bought them back in March I think it was knowing they were going into pre-order for a manufacturing run. Well they finally came yesterday. Installed them inside of 10 minutes and turned them on and BAM! These things have some serious light output. I live in a very secluded wooded area, so to point the car out to the forest and turn the fog lights on and off, it was like having another set of headlights. Blew my expectations away.

As for pics of the light output, I've never been good at capturing that on camera, so I'll refer you guys to an older thread that I think does a pretty good tried and true job of it. I think the only thing I can supply is what the fog lights actually look like once installed. They do have a much darker appearance than the stock fogs -- which ends up working perfectly with my de-chromed front end.

Thread regarding light output:
http://mazda3revolution.com/forums/...ing-morimoto-mazda-type-z-led-fog-lights.html

Left pic is "before" and Right pic is "after"

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's one detailing a closer comparison between stock housing and Morimoto housing

Obviously the left fog light is the stock housing and the right is the Morimoto

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
And here's another just for grins and giggles

Seriously...love this car...

Attachments

·
Registered
70 Posts
Looking good. Can't wait to get mine too. I still have to cross the border and pick them up on Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can't wait for mine to come!
@Chazzy J, Did you do fog light leveling? Or you just mounted them with the screws until they were properly attached and that's it?
Well as dusk was upon me, I just screwed them in as fast as I could. However, the housing looked like it may have had a very small slide for very minimal adjustment on the bottom, but I didn't spend much time looking at it. I kind of did the "human eye" level. Parked the car on the street, ran about 200 feet out and started to walk towards it and make sure there wasn't any discrepancy in leveling and that neither was pointed too high. Everything appeared perfect to my eyes haha

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
62 Posts
Well as dusk was upon me, I just screwed them in as fast as I could. However, the housing looked like it may have had a very small slide for very minimal adjustment on the bottom, but I didn't spend much time looking at it. I kind of did the "human eye" level. Parked the car on the street, ran about 200 feet out and started to walk towards it and make sure there wasn't any discrepancy in leveling and that neither was pointed too high. Everything appeared perfect to my eyes haha

I looked at that little "slide". It is molded in place and centered. I am sure if you cut it out, you can adjust it.

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I looked at that little "slide". It is molded in place and centered. I am sure if you cut it out, you can adjust it.
Good to know. I'll forego going back in this weekend to check that out. Thanks.

·
*The Electrician*
905 Posts
On my 2017 I have the premium light package and I found the oem setup to be extremely good at night no matter where I am. The thick wooded areas I occasionally drive thru at night just turning on the highbeams is a significant difference. Mazda must have seen a discrepancy from the 14-16 models and made some adjustments, definitely paid off. Without highbeams the light cutoff line is extremely precise, on paved back roads I never use my highbeams, its just not necessary. Its too bad Mazda didn't catch this sooner, tho perhaps it was intentional to leave it as an improvement they could use for the 2017 face-lift. I still want to see someone put an LED lightbar on the lower grille of a 2014+ Mazda 3 lol.

Reactions: Road Trip

·
Registered
70 Posts
Just installed mine yesterday too. Didn't have to do any fogs adjustment and it complemented the oem hid with 5500k morimoto pretty well. Not the best pic, but it does make the car look fierce.
Much better than the stock fogs.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Nice to see ya'll getting them finally. When I had them, I had to cut the little tab that holds the fog in place so I can aim the fogs down a bit. When I had the morimoto in the stock position, it's aimed way too high. I had to go all the way to the lowest position and move up a few millimeters. I'm glad my new car came with the LED fogs so I didn't have to upgrade them again :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
They look great. I've been toying with the idea of putting the Morimoto XB in my CX-5 but just haven't done it yet. I don't think I'll need to upgrade the new 3 I just bought because the factory fogs are LED.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Hello dear members! This is my honest review and opinion regarding the long awaited return of the Morimoto LED Fog Lights for our Mazda's 3!

Finally, I received them and installed them today! I must say they are not so "blue" / "cool" as the 2017 LED Fog Lights . When comparing the Morimoto's to the VLEDS 5000K LED's I had before I must say that they have pretty much the same "color"! But what is awesome about these fog lights is that they have in-built projectors, giving a nice pattern when ON, not like the "spread" pattern of the stock housing.

Installation is pretty straight forward, followed the instructions closely and had no issues at all. I just unscrewed and screwed the new fog lights on the housing (Tight as I could, the same as stock). IMO, It is not possible to level the fog lights since the screw hole does not allow so (as the screw hole is fixed in the center), unless as couple of members have done, is to cut the plastic that holds the bottom screw and then play with the leveling (Not planning to do that, height wise I think they should fit the way the housing intended them too)

Overall the looks are definitely better that stock, color wise not as "cool" as I thought they would be, but brightness wise they are far better than anything else on the market today. So yes! It was worth the wait! :)

Couple of pictures of the setup with OSRAM CBI's and their light pattern (Which I think is not super even by a couple of centimeters , maybe the right fog light is slightly higher than left, but I'm not too picky or maybe I'm missing some air on my left tires, anyway it looks awesome!)

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts