2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After working on the headlight assembly for 2+ hours, I just gave up. I went the heat gun route but just couldn't get the assembly to come apart. Just ended up making a mess. Anyone successfully install halos on the 3rd gen using the heat gun method? Any tips on that part of the process?

·
Registered
578 Posts
After working on the headlight assembly for 2+ hours, I just gave up. I went the heat gun route but just couldn't get the assembly to come apart. Just ended up making a mess. Anyone successfully install halos on the 3rd gen using the heat gun method? Any tips on that part of the process?
Yeah I did it 4 times. Plus there’s a thread on the process somewhere. It’s old as the 3rd gen.

It takes time a lot of time. So you want to try to heat everything up. Using the heat gun try to go around the entire rim of the headlight where the glue is until it is quite warm all around. You want to wear gloves and and try to pull it apart.

Or you can heat one corner up and jam a screw driver in there and lift it up. But this will leave mars and deform the plastic channel.

I’d try the first one but get another set of hands or vice grips to hold down the headlamp.

Reactions: Kongzi80

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i tried going the corner route. Actually had one end almost out, but was messing up the plastic of the housing itself. Once you had yours heated, how long did it take to actually pull the assembly apart?

·
Registered
267 Posts
If it's fully saturated you have less than 5 minutes before it becomes a real pain. It should take some force but be relatively easy, if you are causing more damage than progress it's nowhere near hot enough all around.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Did you guys use the original adhesive to re-seal along with something extra, like silicone? Looks like the original adhesive/seal is butyl, so wondering if it'd be a better bet to use that instead.

·
Registered
267 Posts
You can re-use butyl if you didn't end up taking a bunch off. Add more if there are some thin spots, I took apart my 18 GT headlights and have not had any moisture issues re-using the OEM stuff.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, unfortunately, I added some silicone sealant to multiple areas on one of the assemblies. That sealant is good up to 600 degrees, i think.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Partial success!

I decided to try again and was able to get one of the headlight covers off. Took me a little while to figure out how I wanted to set it up and to get the wiring correct, but it looks awesome. It was pretty late when I finished the first one, so i'm running with one halo at the moment. Will finish the other later tonight. I'm sure glad I ended up giving it another go because the results are sure worth it!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I used an oven. 12min at 225F. If you can, invest in some rubber butyl sealant now or else you may be opening the lights again due to condensation.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts