2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I finally got around to putting my TRS Morimoto Elite HID H11 kit today. Took freaking forever because I didn't realize I ordered the relay kit and was too lazy to box it back up and wait for a can-bus kit.

I spent probably an hour finding different ways to hide the wires. The biggest PITA was having to hack apart my old DDM wiring in order to extend the driver's side ballast-to-relay wiring by about 6 inches. The kit only had about 6 inches itself in slack so it left me very few places to mount the ballast. I had my old DDM's under the fender in front of the strut tower, so I added in the extra wiring to be able to hide the ballast in the same spot.

Anyone else find this issue with the kit on the MS3? Did you end up doing the same thing I did? I coudn't stand the thought of having the driver's side ballast mounted on top of the fuse box. That was about the only place it would fit nicely without extending the wiring.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
why do you need a canbus kit?
The car doesn't have a light out system on it.
I couldn't help you with the rest.
The kit contains the relays to ignite the bulbs, AFAIK. If I unplugged the entire relay system from the bulbs, there is no way to hook up the passenger side headlight bulb to the stock connector. Only the driver's side in the relay kit hooks into the stock system. So you need one or the other. The can-bus kit is just a little less cumbersome.

·
DIY PRO
1,036 Posts
i have my own relay set up on my car running a standard relay harness. The passenger side oem plug is not plug in and I haven't had one issue.
It runs off the relay driven by the driver side. It is only pulling a signal from the oem harness so it knows when to trigger the normally open relay to close and pull power from the battery.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Why didn't you mount the ballast under the headlight?

·
Registered
437 Posts
Why didn't you mount the ballast under the headlight?
this is what i did as well. i secured mine to the underside of the headlamp. fits nice, and doesnt go anywhere.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Yea you can mount the ballast under the headlight, if you have the tech package the ballast for the stock HID is mounted there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doesn't that involve taking off the front bumper? It's like 5 degrees outside, maybe I'll do that once it's warmer.

Man I miss my propane space heater!

·
Registered
345 Posts
You can actually do it without removing the bumper entirely but I know your point. I hate doing stuff in the cold myself

·
Silver Surfer
2,904 Posts
My ballasts are glued with double sided tape to the back of the head lights and the relay is taped on to the battery box... So far no problems

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

1 - 10 of 10 Posts