2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:grin2: Just picked up my 2017 Mazda 3 GT with automatic. Wife made me get the Auto so she can drive it when she wants. Her car is a 2013 Nissan Leaf, that works for us because we are retired. Traded in a 2013 Infinity G37 coupe for the Mazda. I loved the Infinity but got tired of the 2 doors, and small back seat. I do miss the 330 HP and 0 to 60 in 5.0". Thus my question. Will a new performance exhaust and air intake along with a professional tune get me over 200HP? Or should I just save my money? Does anyone make a reliable turbo for the 2.5 engine? Thanks for any and all information.

·
Working Class Hero
3,705 Posts
Welcome aboard.

Don't think the 2.5 has any turbo choices. An Orange Virus tune may get you over 200.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
234 Posts
With such high static CR, there won't be a turbo option for this engine. It's not suitable for boost.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Check out the engine in the CX-9.
It's a different engine with static CR of 10.5:1 compared to 13:1 of Skyactive-G Mazda 3. If you boost such high CR engine it would be dead by the high amount of knock which you will get. Mazda did a great job to overcome the knock in a engine with a high CR running on regular fuel, but it's not intended for boosting. If you lower the CR, then it's a different game ;)

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts
With such high static CR, there won't be a turbo option for this engine. It's not suitable for boost.
Wrong, it has already been done with the 2.0L SkyActiv in the MX5. Turbos and superchargers are currently on the table and kits are on the market.

Edelbrock supercharger in a new ND Miata.

The Mazda 3 will have kits soon enough.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I dont think so if we are talking brake HP. Based on the half second gain 0-60 ive gotten from my tune and mods, ill bet its right around the 200hp range...which is not a large gain over stock.
If talking flywheel HP 200 is possible with an aggressive tune

I need to find my dyno sheet but from memory mine made 133hp at the wheels before it was tuned and 160 hp after.

My engine is the 165HP (14.0 to 1 cr) japanese engine so with a 27hp increase that puts me at 192hp.

·
Super Moderator
6,386 Posts

I need to find my dyno sheet but from memory mine made 133hp at the wheels before it was tuned and 160 hp after.

My engine is the 165HP (14.0 to 1 cr) japanese engine so with a 27hp increase that puts me at 192hp.
Those numbers sound about right for the 2.0L engine, and the 2.5 should easily break 200.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Wrong, it has already been done with the 2.0L SkyActiv in the MX5. Turbos and superchargers are currently on the table and kits are on the market.

Edelbrock supercharger in a new ND Miata.

The Mazda 3 will have kits soon enough.
This seems to be a prototype at the moment. Still, boosting a high CR engine is dangerous. I suppose the boost would be very low on this kit.

·
Registered
660 Posts

Yup agreed, reading my post back it sounds conservative, but even my not-so-aggressive tune (requested low end increase vs top end HP) i would not be surprised if 200bhp was broken...having the rev limit increased on top of my tune can't hurt either.

some loose math based on rough numbers...
0-60 stock manual = 7.4, my 0-60 manual = 6.8 (note my car is manual, hence the slower times)

6.8/7.4 = 8.8% quicker
184hp peak stock/200hp peak goal = 8.6% gain

Going by this, right at 200hp seems reasonable with my particular tune...of course the gain could be due to higher hp across powerband but still peaking under 200hp, but performance gain result is the same for someone expecting an 8% gain, or 200hp vs stock peak hp.

·
Registered
965 Posts
There's plenty of boosted high compression ratio engines around. 06+ Civic Si's are very popular to boost. Obviously the K Series engines rule but still handle boost just fine.

I think our SkyActiv engines will handle boost with no problems. Obviously the engine will wear quicker (duh) but how long it lasts depends on how aggressive you push it on a daily basis.

With a good tune and proper supporting mods (better cooling, etc) I see no reason why getting 100k out of a boosted skyactiv shouldn't be possible.

This isn't a performance machine, so boosting the block to 300+ hp is retarded and THEN obviously it won't last but 20k miles before she blows.

I think a nice 5-7psi boost will give more then enough power for the transmission to handle. You'll be spinning one wheel all day everyday. Lol.

·
Too Many Projects!
368 Posts
I think a nice 5-7psi boost will give more then enough power for the transmission to handle. You'll be spinning one wheel all day everyday. Lol.
That's what worries me about looking into turbos and having an automatic. Wouldn't mind just a "little bit more power," but I guess it's a risk/gain thing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts