2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone trimed their bump stops after installing Eibach lowering springs along with Konis? The instructions with the Eibachs say not to but I came across a write up on another forum where they did. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I guess I get to answer my own post. I spoke with a rep from Eibach as well as Koni. They both agreed not to cut the bump stops. The tech rep from Koni was especially great because he owns a MS3 with FSD and stock springs. He recommended not to cut the bump stops because Mazda/Ford engineered the bump stops to actually act as a "pre" progressive spring. He stated that even on his stock height MS3 the bump stops are nearly touching the FSDs. The FSDs would not do as well if the bump stops were cut because when the damper was compressed there would no longer be the gradual increase as when the entire bump stop was intact. Instead, the damper would hit the bumpstop, which now has a sudden higher resistance instead of a progressive one, and the smooth transition would be lost. Not to mention the fact that there may be damage to the damper from a possible bottoming out situation.

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
There is no need to cut bump stops if you have koni yellow. There is a controversy swirling around the FSD's if you have them installed on a speed. Some people say that because they sit so close to the bumpstops they don't have enough travel to engage the mechanism that self adjusts the valving. Thus rendering them unable to adjust to varying road conditions. The reason people cut the bump stops is to give the FSD's a little extra room so that they can engage properly. I read somewhere that koni was aware of the problem and doesn't recomend them for the speed or a Mazda 3 that is going to be lowered. That's the reason I went with yellow instead of FSD. I knew I was going to lower my car.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hmm, when I got my prokits installed, the person cut the bump stops. I plan on getting koni yellows eventually (~5-6 months?). Would there be any negative effects due the bump stops being shorter on prokits + koni yellows?

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I suppose if you bottom out really hard there won't be anything to cushion the blow. The shock will take the full impact and may bend the piston or ruin the valving in the shock. The prokit directions say not to alter the bumpstops. Since the koni yellows have more travel than stock struts I'd be more worried about the stock shocks than the koni's with cut bumpstops.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts