2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 2014 Mazda3. I recently noticed that one of the flaps in front of the driver side rear tire is missing. It is not a mud guard because it is in front of the tire. I asked Mazda about it during my last oil change and they said it's called a stone guard and would cost $45 to replace. That seems expensive for such a small little piece of plastic.

Is that part important and is it possible to replace it myself? I've seen some forums mention that this flap is important for aerodynamic purposes to reduce drag.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue? I came across a potential part here: EXTERIOR TRIM. Stone. Fits: Mazda 3 | CJ Wilson Mazda Online Parts

Just not sure if I need all of those parts or just one, and how complex it is to replace.

Thanks for any help or advice!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've attached photos showing the missing guard on the left rear tire as well as a photo of the right rear tire which has the proper guard still attached.

If anyone can tell me the proper part number, I would greatly appreciate it!

Attachments

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would think you may be able to order one online. I'm considering removing them, as my car is lowered and that's just one more part to scrape on things. Are they entirely necessary and do they even help? I wonder.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Weird, just the other day I noticed my left one was twisted around on its mounting a bit, and was fairly loose when I moved it back straight. Checked the right side which seemed fine. I noticed this at the gas station and forgot about it by the time I got home, so I'll have to check if it's still there, and if so if some mounting has simply come loose or if one of the fasteners has broken off or what.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! That looks to be the right part. Unfortunately shipping costs is an additional $15.00. But I did find it here on ebay:
Mazda BHN951PW0A Genuine Lower Deflector | eBay

Seems like a better deal.

Is it easy enough to install this on my own? Debating whether it's worth replacing at all. What's its purpose?

·
Registered
372 Posts
Is it easy enough to install this on my own? Debating whether it's worth replacing at all. What's its purpose?
The purpose is mainly aerodynamics. It improves your fuel economy. Whether it's enough to justify spending the money to replace it is debatable. But over the car's lifetime, it might be significant; after all, the factory spent the money to put it there instead of just leaving it out and saving a bit in both part cost and labor cost, and they don't usually do that unless it's actually reflected in fuel economy stats.

·
Working Class Hero
3,653 Posts
Looks like a pretty easy piece to install, based on the diagram. Looks like two fasteners. You may need to get in behind the fender liner a bit. Judging by the part price and the dealer's price to install, you shouldn't need much more than a half hour to put it in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts