2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'll be going BT in a few months and i was looking to get a bigger core for my car. I see that mishimoto has a nice core that is 31"x12"x3" but the inlet/outlet is 3" and our piping is 2.5". Can use a reducer in both sides? is that something that can be done or is it better to get a smaller one with a 2.5" inlet/oulet?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Hey guys I'll be going BT in a few months and i was looking to get a bigger core for my car. I see that mishimoto has a nice core that is 31"x12"x3" but the inlet/outlet is 3" and our piping is 2.5". Can use a reducer in both sides? is that something that can be done or is it better to get a smaller one with a 2.5" inlet/oulet?

Thanks
yes you can use reducers. 2.5 pipe can flow over 500hp of air without restrictions.

you could alsways get a shop to custom bend and weld some 3 inch piping as well.

what turbo do you plan to be getting?

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Are you using a universal kit because Mishimoto doesn't make one that fits a speed 3?

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thanks
aaacasas, you should not have any problems with running our intercooler while using transition couplers . Mishimoto offers the coupler as well if needed :thumbup 1:

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,
-Pat

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes you can use reducers. 2.5 pipe can flow over 500hp of air without restrictions.

you could alsways get a shop to custom bend and weld some 3 inch piping as well.

what turbo do you plan to be getting?
Planing on getting a GTX3076R

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are you using a universal kit because Mishimoto doesn't make one that fits a speed 3?
Yes im just getting the core. i have the cobb piping.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Planing on getting a GTX3076R
I think the intercooler you are looking towards is too big. much too big for a GTX30R. You should get an intercooler that is good for 400-450HP, which will be smaller and fit better. Just get an efficient one like Vibrant or Precision.

With that turbo I also wouldn't worry about your intercooler piping. 2.5 inch is plenty big enough. that turbo really isn't that "big."

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think the intercooler you are looking towards is too big. much too big for a GTX30R. You should get an intercooler that is good for 400-450HP, which will be smaller and fit better. Just get an efficient one like Vibrant or Precision.

With that turbo I also wouldn't worry about your intercooler piping. 2.5 inch is plenty big enough. that turbo really isn't that "big."
Yes i was looking at TR8L Intercooler. It seem to do the job.

·
Registered
5,839 Posts
Looking at your overall and core size and comparing it to CP-E that has the biggest intercooler available you could only fit the J-Line and Z-Line without having to modify the crash bar.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking at your overall and core size and comparing it to CP-E that has the biggest intercooler available you could only fit the J-Line and Z-Line without having to modify the crash bar.
Im modifying the crash bar. i bought the TR8L. I'll post some pics of the install.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
aaacasas, let me know if you have measurements for how much room is available behind your front bumper. I would be happy to see what best fits your vehicle.
I was talking to a representative at mishimoto about this but none of ur intercooler had what i needed. Thanks anyways for your concern.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts