2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Misc Info - Winter driving tidbits for Mazda 3 hatch

4K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  sspak9 
#1 ·
Short version: my gripe with Mazda 3 when driving on winter highway...

- keeping the heater at the highest temperature will make the display panel to dim (the left display showing the avg mileage)

- Mazda 3 doesn't hold sufficient washer fluid

- Salt spray gets into every gap there is

Long version:

Last few days, while travelling on snowy, cold highway, I had the heater on at full, blasting the front windshield for a while with the temperature set at 90F to melt the freezing snow that was forming on the windshield. Within 30 minutes or so, the display that shows the mileage dimmed to the point where nothing was showing. It came back showing bright when the car cooled. At first, I thought moisture somehow formed inside the display panel, but now I can confirm that it's the hot blast of air that's causing it. Repeated the process few times and the display dimmed every time. When I turned the heat off, the panel displayed bright numbers again.

Another topic... The Mazda 3 hatch really attracts dirt on the rear window... AND the washer reservoir doesn't hold a lot of fluid. Make sure to have extra winter washer fluid when travelling on the highway that's been salted and has some snow that is melting... I think I used up a gallon of washer fluid every 300 miles or so even when making sure not to follow the spray making cars in front too closely. My wife's Honda Fit hatch's rear windows doesn't get dirty so quickly as the Mazda 3.

Finally, the salt spray will find its way into every tiny gap it can find and leave white residues. At least on my car, inside the engine bay gets splattered with white spray, the rubber seals around the doors get coated with whites, and somehow dried white salt forms within the cavity between the rear hatch and the rear body. I think the air flow on the Mazda leaves more salt residue on the car body than other cars. I drove two days on the salted highway, and the rear is completely white while the front and the sides are splattered with whites and barely shows the original car paint.

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)

- keeping the heater at the highest temperature will make the display panel to dim (the left display showing the avg mileage)

Don't have the climate control system, so have not had those problems - maybe your charging system need checked.
I agree with you on salt- I'm trying to wash it rain or shine everytime it get above freezing. But after every thaw it seems like i'm driving the saltyest car in town.
-
On the positive side, I was following an Audi TT coupe up a snowy slick hill this a.m., He was struggling but my little ol 3 chugged right on up.. :tongue:

#5 ·

1) Have not experienced this in my car - I do have the auto climate control and keep it set to Auto with the temperature between 68-74.

2) Are you one of the guys that sprays his windshield for 30 seconds solid every time you need to use it? I've had my car for a full year and haven't needed to refill the reservoir.

3) Disagree on my experience, the splash shield under the engine does a great job keeping it clean and I didn't experience any salt/grime issues getting around the door jambs.

I will say I agree with the back window collecting dirt, it actually seems to me like the whole hatch collects it.

#6 ·
I have a 2010 GT sport and I live in snowy Ottawa where we dump thousands of tons of salt on the roads over the winter. I don't have the salt getting everywhere problem, my engine bay is still as clean as the day I bought the car.

I have the auto climate control and have no issues with control or the amount of heat. Finally the washer tank holds almost a full gallon how much bigger do you want the thing.

Pat

#7 ·
I hear ya about the washer fluid and the dirty car thing with all the melting snow!! I wash mine once a week to keep the salt off.
I always keep an extra washer fluid in the back just in case!! I'm still getting used to having a rear window with a wiper:cheesy:
I have to say though since I installed my RB rally mud flaps I've noticed a HUGE difference in how dirty my car gets. I have no grime flying up to the side windows and less grime flying up onto my rear window!! Great investment!!

#11 ·

1. I don't have an issue. I actually had to crack the windows because it go so hot in the car.
2. It holds almost a full gallon... you use way too much LOL Use your mirrors and forget about the rear window LOL
3. I drove in an ice storm, had 1/2inch of ice build up on the front of the car and not one bit ended up in the engine bay or door jambs

#12 · (Edited)
Finally have time to post some photos.

My 2013 Mazda 3 does not hold a gallon of washer fluid. It takes about 1/2 gallon or less. I do carry extra gallon in the trunk now. Perhaps the Canadian version holds more washer fluid?

Here's a photo, not so good, of the dimmed display that got dark and is starting to return to normal after I opened the windows to cool the inside of the car.

BTW, I have the heat set to the mode that shoots air to the windshield and toward the feet.

At least on my car, there is a gap in the hood where the air and water go through into the engine bay.

If you open the hood, there is a gap in the rubber seal too.

I put a sponzy into the gap where the headlight is to prevent salt spray from entering into the engine bay. It helped, and no more nasty salt spray inside the engine bay. Just few minor spots.

The sponzy is from a pipe insulation that I cut in half lengthwise and then pushed both ends into the open gap between the radiator and the headlight housing. It's sufficiently raised so that the top of the sponzy touches the metallic or rubber portion of the underside of the hood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.