2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Travelling home from Madison on the interstate today and hit a pretty decent sized piece of retread from a semi tire - car ahead of me swerved and got it right under their tires- which then launched it into the air towards me - awesome fun

the hit didn't sound that bad - i was hoping it just hit my tires only

got home to find this which doesnt look that bad

the panel gap between bumper and fender looks like it came undone a little - i just pushed it back down and it seems to have snapped in place - it had separated a few millimeters and i could see what looked like fasteners for it to snap together

aside from that i have the marks from the tire, missing plastic trim and the chrome ring - the lights are fully functional and i dont see any damaged parts where the old trim attached - im hoping its just as easy as buying new parts and snapping them in place - and fixing the rubber marks with a good cleaning

was looking at buying this - might stop by the dealer first to confirm theres no other parts needed

https://www.amazon.com/2014-2015-Ma...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=A4CAF9GTMFTJSTCV3P59

it says right fog light and im assuming thats from the driver seat as reference - it looks like its a match for the missing parts

Attachments

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Sorry to hear about your tire tread hitting your car. Glad you were able to snap the front fender/fascia back together.

Yes, when it says "right," that is the passenger side (in the U.S.). Hope your repair process goes really well!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to hear that! Had a similar thing happen to me last year, except it broke the right fog light and turn signal (similar to yours). Bumper also partially came off and the tread went under the car and tore parts of the undercarriage then flew out from the right rear passenger door and scratched the paint on the back fender. Even thought I pushed the front bumper back on, the autorepair shop mentioned the clips were broken and bumper was cracked so I had to get a new bumper. Just make sure your bumper clips are all good. Good call on stopping by the dealer first. The fog light on your link looks good and it's good that it comes with the chrome ring. Some don't sell it with the ring.

·
Registered
327 Posts
From the looks of it the majority of the rubber looks like it should clean off and with the new parts leave you pretty dang close to where you started.

Sucks it happened but glad you came out of it the way you did!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully have the parts show up Thursday and take care of cleaning and installation Saturday

I will check out the undercarriage to make sure nothing else was harmed.

The bumper clips looked ok, they were rectangle tabs with a hole in the middle and none appeared cracked. No idea if the part they snap onto is damaged.

Hopefully have some after pics sat or sun.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts