2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

So my little brother has been driving my 2006 Mazda 3 and he hit a curb today trying to dodge another vehicle. He's fine, car is not.

So hitting the curb pretty fast it tore out the drive axle, ripped off the a/c compressor which in turn came off with some of the engine it was attached to. Wheel, tire, suspension all look pretty messed up. Coolant came out along with all the oil.

Can I save my car? Or is this damage beyond repair? Where could I get a replacement bottom for the engine?

Attachments

·
Registered
468 Posts
You'd have to get a quote from a repairer to see if it's a viable repair. Looks nasty to me, but maybe it's just a sump and a few other parts. Not as expensive as panel damage.

Does he have insurance?

And just out of interest, did anyone see him dodge this 'other vehicle'? ;)

·
Super Moderator
5,961 Posts
Hard to tell from those pictures but.....

You might want to take it to a competent mechanic for a full assessment of the damage. No telling what is actually broken in there.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
Hey guys,

So my little brother has been driving my 2006 Mazda 3 and he hit a curb today trying to dodge another vehicle. He's fine, car is not.

So hitting the curb pretty fast it tore out the drive axle, ripped off the a/c compressor which in turn came off with some of the engine it was attached to. Wheel, tire, suspension all look pretty messed up. Coolant came out along with all the oil.

Can I save my car? Or is this damage beyond repair? Where could I get a replacement bottom for the engine?
wow.. that's going to exceed the black/blue book value of the car.
Sorry for your loss:surprise:

·
Registered
384 Posts
Like oscargamer says- no panel damage. I'd look at getting a quote to replace the front mechanical end with a new one from a car that's been written off in a rear shunt.

·
My Other Car is a Holden
79 Posts
You'd have to get a quote from a repairer to see if it's a viable repair. Looks nasty to me, but maybe it's just a sump and a few other parts. Not as expensive as panel damage.
Cast aluminum being shattered is not as expensive as panel damage? That engine is toast and the transmission likely has damage if the force was strong enough to do all of that plus rip that CV joint apart.

Even if the engine bearings/block isn't ruined from the loss of oil pressure, the wheel, suspension, axle, engine oil pan replacement (pulling the engine?), body parts, A/C repair, and inevitable wire harness damage is going to add up to "Totaled" real fast on a 12 year old economy car.

Start thinking about how much the car is worth, be on the look out for a low-ball totaled value, and decide what your next car is going to be (make sure your brother doesn't drive it).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Just off the top of my head, assuming no damage to the rest of the engine or drivetrain, I was thinking diy repair for about $1000 or $2000 at a shop.

Unfortunately, I don't have the space to store it to work on it. Adding the risk of it having more damage than what I can see... I've decided to junk it.

The money I do have will go towards acquiring a new vehicle.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Makes this hard decision a little easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts