2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Might be migrating, have a few ??s about `13 Speed

Hey folks, been on the 3rd gen 3 forum here for a while and took my `16 pretty much as far as it could go naturally aspirated until it was totaled a few nights ago.

I`d been looking for another turbo car for a few years and was actually shopping for a Speed 3 when I bought my `16. Now that I have the chance to get one the Speed is at the top of the list. I test drove an STI and two different `13 Speeds yesterday. The STI was undeniably the fastest, by a lot, but it was a f***ing tank. Uncomfortable ride, very dated interior. I really dug the Speed(s). One had whatever option package comes with push button start and the touch screen. Both are bone stock. What I can say about the Speed is Holy Torque Steer! My last turbo car was a 600hp 300ZXTT. Obviously no torque steer out of rear wheel drive. I am no stranger to very high HP cars, but all of them have been rear wheel drive. Just a little acclimating. I`m a 210lb grown man. A bit of torque steer isn`t going to own me LOL.

And on to the meat and potatoes of the thread: a few questions about the Speed 3.

What`s the factory boost psi, and does this vehicle respond favorably to a little of extra boost via a boost controller, and how much extra boost is safe on an otherwise stock engine? The first round of mods would be intake, catback, and boost controller, and some good coilovers unless another path is recommended.

And while I would love to build up another mega HP car, I just don`t see going for more than about 375. Will the stock injectors support that? I understand it`ll be relatively easy to get there with a bigger turbo, even without going crazy big.

I know I`m not going to learn everything I want to know about the car in one sitting, but the better start I get the better the results will be. Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Check the Mazdaspeed site for very knowledgeable individuals though some are abit gruff on newbies. Good information on what to lookout for on what appears stock Speed3 but in fact was a heavy moded vehicle brought back to stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts