2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I am just wondering how the michelins perform under cold temperatures in winter?

I live in the South west in England so snow and ice isn't an issue but do they become slippery when the temperature drops?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts

So let's clear up one thing here. There is no summer tire and especially no summer performance tire that will perform well in the winter. Using these in the winter is a bad idea and probably very unsafe.

Ok you're thinking sure there's not much snow if any. Temperatures are still low. Those tires are designed for warm summer temperatures. The rubber compound is formulated for that. So once it gets cold that rubber is going to get super hard. Forget the snow, even a little moisture or frost will make these things slip.

There's no such thing as a unicorn.

·
Super Moderator
5,330 Posts
The MPS3 is a high performance summer tire. They don't do well in cold weather, and driving on them in freezing temperatures can damage them. Many tires like this get quite hard when the temps drop below 40°F and just driving on dry pavement can get interesting, let alone driving in rain or snow.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all that cleared that up for me!

I knew there was a difference in performance but was not aware by how much thank you!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hey all,

I am just wondering how the michelins perform under cold temperatures in winter?

I live in the South west in England so snow and ice isn't an issue but do they become slippery when the temperature drops?
Vredestein Quatrac 5 from a happy driver. One size wider will help with curb rim rash and pothole blows!
(For deep Montana like snow keep the narrower ones) On hot days you cannot tell they are not summer tires. Quiet too.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Vredestein Quatrac 5 from a happy driver. One size wider will help with
I just got these (Verdesrein).

Likes vs OEM Toyo tires:
Rim lip - hopefully saves from minor curb rash
Much softer ride- less thump over bumps.
Much more confident in the wet/rain.

Dislikes:
I find them a bit louder on some road surface types. But I have a ton of bad roads around me.
"Turn in" not quite as quick. But that might also be because these have full tread. My oems were almost bald at the end.
Same with full on road holding. Very slightly less with these.

Unknown:-
Waiting for winter, but I am almost positive these will be much better. The OEM sucked in snow.

Overall I like them. But that is based on my priorities. If I was still a track day auto-crosser , I would not have choose these in the first place.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
it's better than the OEM ones we get in the UK we get the Dunlop's here and they wear so fast and feels like your turning on a sponge not much feel, I went through tyres in a year and only 8,000 miles, I do a lot of city driving and often give it some abuse but still!
Winter they were horrible as well, in the rain turning even with slight throttle it would spin and our cars aren't exactly performance-orientated! we only got the 2.0 120bhp Petrol / gasoline

1 - 8 of 8 Posts