2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
I just got a good deal for some Michelin AS3+ at Costco, I’ll update you when I get them mounted and installed. I’m coming from some G-Force Comp 2 A/S. I’ll see how they feel but the shipping time is a bit extended due to being in Oahu.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I’ve only had the tires for a few days, haven’t really pushed them at all here in Oahu. What I can tell you though;

-General NVH is reduced by quite a bit at non highway speeds. Excellent on good roads, and not terrible in regards to road inconsistencies and the like. Take that with a grain of salt because our vehicles are quite notorious for their lack of sound deadening.

-Bumps are managed much better. Feels very controlled.

-Price was on point due to Costco having a huge sale recently. I got my tires + install for roughly 164.99/per tire.

Will update again on next rotation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks, but the Michelin PS4 is a summer tire. I need an all season tire.
I can vouch for the Michelin Pilot Sport 4! It offers amazing grip and it has been very decent in the milder winter in the UK.

TBH, besides the higher initial cost, you’ll have MUCH BETTER performance if getting separate tyre sets for summer & winter. (Cost wise would probably be the same long term, as you’d get less use from each.)

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
202 Posts
I am a honest believer that running a tire that can do both summer & winter traction... it will do neither really well.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I decided to try out the Continental DWS06 since it was time for replacement on my tires, ill have to give them some break in time but initial impressions are good!

·
Registered
245 Posts
I got the Michelin AS3+ about 3 months ago for my 2015 3sGT with manual trans (18" stock wheels). I didn't want to spend the money just yet, and I was hoping to make it through one more winter on the OEM Dunlops. But I got a nail in one, so it forced my hand. We have a TireRack warehouse here in Denver, so I saved $10 per tire by picking them up in person and taking them to a shop for installation. The AS3+ were a little cheaper than the Contis, but not by much.

I have no firsthand experience with the Contis, but the consensus seems to be that they have lower noise and better snow grip than the Michelins. But the Contis also have a squishy sidewall that yields an unresponsive feeling, and maybe also a softer compound that wears faster than the Michelins.

Despite the fact that we get snow here in Denver, the weather is such that it often melts the same day, or only sticks around 2-3 days at worst. So snow driving is maybe 20 days per year on average. I decided to go for longer life and better driving feel the rest of the year, rather than max snow grip for the few days it's needed. I think it was worth the tradeoff, but someone who lives in an area where snow is more frequent, or stays on the roads longer, may want to go the other way and get the Contis.

Here's my quick review of the AS3+ vs the OEM Dunlops.

Noise: A little quieter than originals. Noticeable, but not a huge improvement. I can run the radio volume about 3 units lower than before, if that gives you an idea of the noise difference.
Driving feel: No squish. Very responsive to turn input, but also rock solid in a straight line without any twitchy feel. Winding mountain roads are fun, but they could also eat up interstate miles at high speed. The best words I can think of are "confidence inspiring in all conditions."
Bumps: Absorbed much better by the AS3+.
Dry grip: Very good. I don't really push the car hard, so I've never tested the limits.
Wet grip: Very good. We haven't had rain here since I bought them, but we've had plenty of melted snow. No problems.
Snow: Like any "all-season" tire, the AS3+ struggle in very slick conditions, but they are WAAAAYYYYY better than the Dunlops. Despite the cost, I'm really happy that I don't have the Dunlops anymore. The AS3+ are much more confidence inspiring. I feel comfortable and stable driving at 40mph in conditions where I wouldn't have trusted the Dunlops at 30mph.
Mileage: I've lost about 2 MPG. But for me, that's only $2 or $3 more for gas per month, so it's barely noticeable in the wallet. Totally worth it for the improvements in noise and snow handling. I'm curious how they will do in the warmer months.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I got the Michelin AS3+ about 3 months ago for my 2015 3sGT with manual trans (18" stock wheels). I didn't want to spend the money just yet, and I was hoping to make it through one more winter on the OEM Dunlops. But I got a nail in one, so it forced my hand. We have a TireRack warehouse here in Denver, so I saved $10 per tire by picking them up in person and taking them to a shop for installation. The AS3+ were a little cheaper than the Contis, but not by much.

I have no firsthand experience with the Contis, but the consensus seems to be that they have lower noise and better snow grip than the Michelins. But the Contis also have a squishy sidewall that yields an unresponsive feeling, and maybe also a softer compound that wears faster than the Michelins.

Despite the fact that we get snow here in Denver, the weather is such that it often melts the same day, or only sticks around 2-3 days at worst. So snow driving is maybe 20 days per year on average. I decided to go for longer life and better driving feel the rest of the year, rather than max snow grip for the few days it's needed. I think it was worth the tradeoff, but someone who lives in an area where snow is more frequent, or stays on the roads longer, may want to go the other way and get the Contis.

Here's my quick review of the AS3+ vs the OEM Dunlops.

Noise: A little quieter than originals. Noticeable, but not a huge improvement. I can run the radio volume about 3 units lower than before, if that gives you an idea of the noise difference.
Driving feel: No squish. Very responsive to turn input, but also rock solid in a straight line without any twitchy feel. Winding mountain roads are fun, but they could also eat up interstate miles at high speed. The best words I can think of are "confidence inspiring in all conditions."
Bumps: Absorbed much better by the AS3+.
Dry grip: Very good. I don't really push the car hard, so I've never tested the limits.
Wet grip: Very good. We haven't had rain here since I bought them, but we've had plenty of melted snow. No problems.
Snow: Like any "all-season" tire, the AS3+ struggle in very slick conditions, but they are WAAAAYYYYY better than the Dunlops. Despite the cost, I'm really happy that I don't have the Dunlops anymore. The AS3+ are much more confidence inspiring. I feel comfortable and stable driving at 40mph in conditions where I wouldn't have trusted the Dunlops at 30mph.
Mileage: I've lost about 2 MPG. But for me, that's only $2 or $3 more for gas per month, so it's barely noticeable in the wallet. Totally worth it for the improvements in noise and snow handling. I'm curious how they will do in the warmer months.
The AS3+ are incredible in the wet.
When I mounted them to my wife's car (I went one size wider to 215 from 205) and it was POURING right as I left the garage that fitted them on. Went to the backlot of a local walmart, and tried to scub them in/break them in and get rid of the slickness from the molding process that most new tires have before handing keys to my wife.

Good lord, wasn't quite autox-tripoding it but they held on 30-50mph without excessive squealing nor rolling over on the shoulders at OEM pressures. What I recall most impressive was the side to side stability when 'saloming' in the rain. The composure and capabilities under hard braking AND turning in the rain frankly exceeded my comfort level in the backlot. If you aren't a "driving enthusiast" with the OEM tires, you most certainly will be tempted with as3+'s.

I have the DWS06 on my father's Golf (coming from the old generation DWS from Conti) and while he and my brother don't drive quite as aggressively as my wife, they hold up quite well. I suspect they're 90% of the AS3+'s and when combined with the Golf's superior sound deadening, I find them a touch quieter.

No comments on snow capabilities, we all have dedicated snow tires for the nasty stuff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
After having my DSW for a few months I can now comment on them. They are noticeably quieter than stock tires thankfully. It rained quite a bit when I first got them so much so that I didn't even get to fully try their dry performance for a week or so but the rain performance is excellent, much better than stock. Dry performance is again better than stock, they do have a little squish laterally but still have better feel and are more comfortable than stock. No loss in gas mileage.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
As a heads up, I've discovered that 225/45/18 is really the right tire size to get. It's a little bigger than stock, but the ride and noise levels drop noticeably after that. Also, when we talk bulge, we aren't as it's basically a single centimeter.
I just put 225/45/18 PS4s on my stock rims. Holy crap were you right.

The PS4s are a step up from my DWS06s, but I am in love with this setup so far.

Looks pretty good too. I was concerned about tire bulg, but it's not noticeable at all.
CK

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I just put 225/45/18 PS4s on my stock rims. Holy crap were you right.

The PS4s are a step up from my DWS06s, but I am in love with this setup so far.

Looks pretty good too. I was concerned about tire bulg, but it's not noticeable at all.
CK
Right!!! it's smoother, quieter, and you'll find that mileage is overall basically unchanged. Also, the added benefits of greater pothole protection make it a no brainer setup.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I was surprised at how much smoother riding they are tbh.

I was expecting more NVH and more grip and got less NVH, smoother ride and better grip/handling with this setup.

i.e. I took a 2 lane 180 degree banked turn on the inside right lane at double the speed limit with little effort.. normally that would get my wife's attention, but she kept her story going from the inclined approach all the way through the banked turn, and actually asked me my opinion as I hit the gas on the way out of the turn.. i chuckled when the turn was completed and she thought I was responding to her story. Priceless! :D
CK

·
Registered
109 Posts
I was surprised at how much smoother riding they are tbh.

I was expecting more NVH and more grip and got less NVH, smoother ride and better grip/handling with this setup.

i.e. I took a 2 lane 180 degree banked turn on the inside right lane at double the speed limit with little effort.. normally that would get my wife's attention, but she kept her story going from the inclined approach all the way through the banked turn, and actually asked me my opinion as I hit the gas on the way out of the turn.. i chuckled when the turn was completed and she thought I was responding to her story. Priceless! :D
CK
Amazing, any plans to track/autox with the P4S? They get reasonable mileage on a heavier rwd vehicle, looking forward to see how long they last on a 'featherweight' Mazda 3.
Please start a new thread/update here with how they hold up in the long run!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Not sure my setup will work very well for comparing to other cars.. I also run a little negative camber and toe in to compensate and even the tread wear some.

I am really happy so far and will report back on how they do. Especially once I fit the lighter and wider Enkei PF05 rims on.
CK

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 3 S Grand Touring Hatchback
4 Posts
I know I'm a bit late to the party but can't comment on the Michelin's except I rarely hear anything negative about them. However, I can speak on the DWS 06 as I ran them on my 16' Subaru WRX and they were fantastic in all weather and gave me excellent dry performance, rarely hydroplaned unless it was deep water at high speed, and even made a few trips in upstate New York deep snow and never got stuck. I plan to get the DWS 06's on my stock rims after I get them powder coated black for my Fall/Winter when I swap out my summer wheels wrapped with Federal Evoluzion ST-1 tires (super sticky for the price, highly recommended for spirited driving in warm climates).

41 - 54 of 54 Posts