2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll need to replace the tires on my 2016 sTouring 5-door sometime this year.

I think I've narrowed it down to the Michelin AS3+ and the Continental DWS06. From what I've read I'm pretty sure I would prefer the driving dynamics of the Michelin but comments about a dip in mpg (I've read from -2 to -3 mpg after installing these tires) and comments about a persistent road noise hum in the range of 55 - 70 mph concern me. (by the way, with 27k miles on the car, automatic, I'm averaging 29.4 mpg in mixed urban and highway driving)

I've seen enough of these comments in different discussion forums across different types of cars that I tend to believe them.

My question - if anyone here has tried both tires do you have anything to add to these comments? And how is the road noise hum from either of these tires in comparison to the stock Dunlop Sport 5000?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Michelin PS4 would be a better choice over the AS3+.
CK

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm curious about this as well. I will be replacing the stock Dunlops in another 10k miles or so. I've also been looking at the same tires.

As for fuel mileage, I wonder if it's not the tires fault. Maybe people are just driving more aggressively (at least at the beginning) because they have new tires that are much more capable than OEM.

For what it's worth, Tire Rack says the fuel mileage for the Contis and the Michelins is almost identical, but they've never compared directly to the OEM Dunlops.

I've heard from someone who works at a repair/tire shop that the Michelins have better real world treadwear, so they may last longer. I wasn't buying tires at the time, so I think it was legit advice, not just sales pitch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We just put the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 Plus in size 215/45-18 on our 3. I am a long time Michelin customer and have not had a set of Contis since I had a BMW with them. They developed blisters and I never bought another Conti tire. I have never had a quality issue with a Michelin tire.

That said, it is my impression that around town the Michelins are a little louder than the OEM Dunlaps. We have not taken a road trip with them yet.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Thanks, but the Michelin PS4 is a summer tire. I need an all season tire.
Sorry, my bad..I can get away with them down here in Los Angeles all year. I'm about to pull the trigger on some new tires and I'm leaning towards the Michelin PS4 over the Conti's. They are both great from what I've read.
CK

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Between the PS4 vs DWS tires... the block treads will be more noisey
So, the Conti's will be quieter than the PS4s?

The PS4 is a summer tire vs an all season in the DWS..performance/handling about the same though? Anyone tested them?
CK

·
Super Moderator
587 Posts
Don't get a summer tire if you live in an area where it gets cold or snowy. There are plenty of AS tires that are still quiet and comfortable.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,246 Posts
Quieter tire characteristics

Continuous, circumferential ribs with straight grooves in between.
Varied tread block shapes that create a multiple pitch pattern.
Smaller blocks.
A reinforced shoulder, which stabilizes tread blocks.
Small hash marks inside the grooves that break up air flow.
Narrower tire sizes.
Softer rubber composition.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the AS3+. Been on them for about 5 thousand km. I wouldn't say they are a quiet tire... My main problem with them is the softer rubber picking up every single rock and flinging them into the wheel wells. But it's not like I always drive on gravel roads... The grip is crazy good, even in rainy conditions. Never tried the Continentals.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I haven't tried the Continentals but went from the stock dunlops to the Michelin AS3+ and, when time comes for new tires, it will be another set of the Michelin. Although they aren't the quietest tires out there, they are great for grip, rain and even snow to a certain point as long as you keep in mine they are still all seasons and not winter tires. I live in Ontario Canada so have some experience with winter driving ;) hehe

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
That is good to know. I would like to get some better handling out of them too though.

I'm thinking the PS4 will have the advantage over the Continentals in that area.

I'm going to ask the guys at American Tire (Discount Tire for those on the East Coast), and see what they say too.
CK

·
Registered
1 Posts
I vote for the DWS06s

The stock tires on my 2016 6 touring sedan were so noisy I did lot of searching on Mazda boards. When it was time to replace them I wanted the quietest all season tires I could get. The bias there was towards DWS06 being a great all season tire and the quietest tires ones being reported by Mazda owners. I was not disappointed. I can listen to my music decibels lower than I could before and hear more of the recordings. Been through two winters with them and have had no issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have the AS3+. Been on them for about 5 thousand km. I wouldn't say they are a quiet tire... My main problem with them is the softer rubber picking up every single rock and flinging them into the wheel wells. But it's not like I always drive on gravel roads... The grip is crazy good, even in rainy conditions. Never tried the Continentals.
Did your car come with OEM Dunlopsr? If yes, can you tell if the AS3+ are more noisy or quieter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I had the AS3+ from discount tire for two weeks and they are noisy like the oem Dunlop. I retired them and got pirrell p zero tires summer winter. They are a lot quieter than the oem ones and they are a sticky tire so you stick to the road better but it will lose about 1 mpg. I like them my front tires do not slip on hard acceleration.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Dunlops on my 2015 Mazda 3 with the DWS06's.

First thing I noticed is that the Contis "feel" softer in the corners, as if they have more play in them. The OEMs felt tighter.

This means the Contis also felt like they absorbed bumps a little better than the OEM Dunlops. Not a whole lot better, but an improvement for sure.

I didn't notice the car getting any quieter if I'm honest which disappointed me. However I hear the Michelin's, although they are supposed to wear better, are more expensive, louder, and don't perform in the snow as well.

That being said, the grip on the DWS06's is wayyyyyyy better than OEM, both in regular cornering and traction in our Chicago winters (and it has been a very icy one this year).

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just replaced the OEM Dunlops on my 2015 Mazda 3 with the DWS06's.

First thing I noticed is that the Contis "feel" softer in the corners, as if they have more play in them. The OEMs felt tighter.

This means the Contis also felt like they absorbed bumps a little better than the OEM Dunlops. Not a whole lot better, but an improvement for sure.

I didn't notice the car getting any quieter if I'm honest which disappointed me. However I hear the Michelin's, although they are supposed to wear better, are more expensive, louder, and don't perform in the snow as well.

That being said, the grip on the DWS06's is wayyyyyyy better than OEM, both in regular cornering and traction in our Chicago winters (and it has been a very icy one this year).
I'd also like to add that 50-50 city-hwy I was getting about 28-30 mpg before switching tires.

Now I am getting 25-27mpg. I noticed this immediately after switching tires so they are definitely stickier.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Wife has around 30k miles on the AS3+'s, never drove on the OEM dunlops, sold them right away. I find I hear more wind noise than tire noise on the highways. Great grip.. which leads her to following cars way closer than I'm comfortable with. At least she can identify cars that can stop quicker than her car... something about good awareness..

I haven't tried the Continentals but went from the stock dunlops to the Michelin AS3+ and, when time comes for new tires, it will be another set of the Michelin. Although they aren't the quietest tires out there, they are great for grip, rain and even snow to a certain point as long as you keep in mine they are still all seasons and not winter tires. I live in Ontario Canada so have some experience with winter driving ;) hehe
My dad's VW Golf has rocked the original non-06 DWS for over 60k miles. Split with winter tires, but they've worn well and stayed relatively quiet towards its end of service. Check the tirerack test, but if snow grip is needed, iirc, the DWS/06's will be a stronger candidate than the AS3+. AS3+ is better for all dry/wet conditions.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

That is good to know. I would like to get some better handling out of them too though.

I'm thinking the PS4 will have the advantage over the Continentals in that area.

I'm going to ask the guys at American Tire (Discount Tire for those on the East Coast), and see what they say too.
CK
PS4 is in an entirely different category than the DWS06's. Continental's equivalent is the Extreme Contact Sport or DW.

Tirerack's test:
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=230

One thing to add. We have two seasons where I live, winter, and construction.
With the AS3+, they actually have a tire size 215/55/16 which is what I put on her car. Wider for more grip/stopping power, but also taller sidewall to soak up the bumps more. Would buy the same size/tire when needing replacement. EDIT thought the sidewalls would be taller, but they are in fact actually narrower by a smidge.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts