2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did my first oil change on my 2010 MS3 and put in a magnetic drain plug from MFactory. The magnet on this thing is ridiculously strong!!!
Here is a pic of it holding up my 32mm Craftsman wrench!
For only $15 it is nice to have this extra piece of mind...

I know my shelves are messy... I just moved and need more storage!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thought I would add that the head of this plug is smaller (takes 14mm vs the stock 17mm), but it has a bigger flange and the crush washer that is supplied with it is the exact same size as our stock. It is slightly longer (maybe 1/4''), but I don't think that would cause any problems! I drove about 100 miles today and no wierd noises or anything so I am assuming it's fine. If anyone knows why a longer drain plug would be bad please let me know...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Only time will tell...
In my 97 Prelude I always had some tiny tiny particles on the end at every oil change.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I magnetize the dipstick when I first get a car, and from then on, every time I check the oil, the wipe rag has very fine silver/grey particles on it. I did the same for the transmission dipstick on my 2004 Mazda 3S 5-Door, and even did it on my lawn mower dip stick! You can get a Magnetizer/Demagnetizer at JC Whitney. They used to be about $5. Easy to do, and it catches the really small stuff even the oil filter doesn't catch. I also use a magnetic drain plug. It always catches something floating around in your oil. I figure the price is cheap, and it can't hurt to keep that stuff from floating around.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts