2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 3 Hatchback 2.0L Skyactiv
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I changed the front rotors a few weeks/couple hundred miles ago and starting yesterday there is a metal rattling coming only from the drivers side wheel.You can kind of feel it but it's mostly just sound that you can hear both inside the car and outside. It only occurs when pushing the brakes close to the floor/when you're close to coming to a complete stop. Usually have to be braking from 35mph+ for it to be audible. Braking feels totally fine with nothing unusual feeling when I push in the brakes.

-I followed the video that everyone likes to reference (
)
-Metal anti rattle shims are there
-Everything is torqued to spec
-Everything is greased
-Today I put in more grease on the caliper pins and it did nothing

I'm really at a loss here guys.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did not use the stock kit. Used some rotors from AutoZone and I didn't replace the pads because they still had over 6mm left on them

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
there's a few options here. the fact that you've put old pads on new rotors (why?) could be causing some vibration. the old pads have been formed/broken in to the old rotors. one old trick is to take the old pads and scuff them up a little using 80 grit sandpaper on a block of wood or other smooth surface.

check if there's any play between the pads and the shims in the caliper. could be that in servicing the brakes you've introduced some slop somehow.

when you say 'greased everything', be more specific. if you somehow got grease on the pads/rotor that could be a problem.

double check your bolts, this would be typical of loose bolts. has your torque wrench been checked? i'd put a socket wrench on them without loosening to see if they really are firm. objective isn't to make them tighter, but to see if they're loose.

another one could be that little rubber ring on the end of one of the slide pins. this is a recent lesson for me. over time the rings can stretch and then don't fit back in. i opted to leave it off until i was able to get parts. it definitely causes some brake chatter....

last thing is a complete coincidence. check the suspension over. it's possible that you working on the brakes was enough to push a failing part over the edge.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi all. I changed the front rotors a few weeks/couple hundred miles ago and starting yesterday there is a metal rattling coming only from the drivers side wheel.You can kind of feel it but it's mostly just sound that you can hear both inside the car and outside. It only occurs when pushing the brakes close to the floor/when you're close to coming to a complete stop. Usually have to be braking from 35mph+ for it to be audible. Braking feels totally fine with nothing unusual feeling when I push in the brakes.

-I followed the video that everyone likes to reference (
)
-Metal anti rattle shims are there
-Everything is torqued to spec
-Everything is greased
-Today I put in more grease on the caliper pins and it did nothing

I'm really at a loss here guys.
Did you torque everything down to the specs found in the dealership repair manual? I remember reading a comment similar to this and it was because the person didn't torque down anything to the specific specs.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback! Update: I took the car to a reputable local shop and they took the wheel off, checked the torque of everything, and test drove it. Found nothing wrong or loose, and couldn't replicate the noise. Naturally, as soon as I picked up the car, the noise came back. Interesting note: I don't think I can get the sound to happen when braking backwards, though it could just be that I'm not going fast enough backwards.

@zero_gravity Here's a breakdown to your statements/questions (thank you for your in-depth response):

-I left on the new rotors because they still had over 6mm left on them so it seemed pointless to toss them. I'm beginning to suspect it is the culprit and I'm going out to pickup new pads soon. Still weird to me that it's only on one side of the car and not the other. If you have any theories on why that could be, I'd love to hear it.

-Checked the shims and while one was a little easy to pry off, it sticks in place of its own accord and doesn't easily fall off when left alone.

-I greased the outside of the piston (the part that pushes on the pad), and the backs of the pads. I thought of that too but both have no grease on them.

-The shop tested the torque of everything and found it up to spec.

-Yup thought of that too. Tried to replace with aftermarkets but of course they didn't fit so I gave up. Still a possibility, but every time I have checked them, they are completely on and haven't slid out of place.

-I'm hoping that the shop would have seen it if that was the issue but yeah still within the realm of possibilities.

@redskull35 For sure I did and it was verified by the shop I took it to today.

@Dar_T thanks I'm beginning to suspect that as well. I'm going to buy new pads and see if that does anything. That and the pad brackets are really all I have left at this point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@zero_gravity that's an interesting thought. @Dar_T is correct though that the service manual does encourage greasing the backs of the pads for squeaking and whatnot. That being said though, when I popped the old pads off the first time to change the rotor, they were pretty dry and hadn't been squeaking or making noise so 🤷‍♂️

It did end up being the pads. I'm gonna make a full post in a second.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
All of you who suggested it was the pads can put on your poop eating grins because that appears so far to have been the problem. I tried to save my wife some money and this is my reward🤦‍♂️

Thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it. I'll update this again if it comes back.

As a thank you, let me share with you a "fun story" about why you shouldn't do maintenance on your car when you're tired and dehydrated.
Last night in my closet sized garage where it was roughly 85F, I was putting the drivers side wheel back on when I realized I had the brake line looped around itself. Too tired to figure it out, I just reattached it and moved on.

As happens with seemingly all epiphanies, I woke up in the middle of the night and realized I had somehow just flipped that part of the brake system over and all I had to do was flip it back over and it would be fine.

Fast forward to this morning, as I'm slowly lowering the car onto the jackstand, I suddenly see the jackstand disappear inside the car... I had pushed the jack stand too far forward (towards the wheel well) and missed the pinch weld, sending it directly into the sheet metal on the car. While shouting every profane word I could think of, I furiously pumped my squeaking jack to lift the car back up (since the garage is the size of a closet, I couldn't get full pumps so it was only moving roughly 1/3 of inch with each mini-pump). Everything was fine besides heavily denting/curling the sheet metal, which I used the claw of a hammer to...more or less put it back to its original shape and reattached the wheel well trim.

So yeah. I hope this thread discourages anyone in the future from being a cheapskate. Thanks again everyone!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts