2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2011 MS3 with 2K miles.

I am noticing a solid metal on metal clank! noise coming from the front left (cannot figure out whether is linkage, motor mounts, etc) when chaging surface angles, e.g. road to garage ramp, specially when backing up.

Taking to the dealer today, if anyone has experienced something similar would appreciate comments

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
I'm interested in what the dealer has to say also. Since day one I've had a hard rattle on the front left side when I make a sharp right turn into my driveway. I should have had it checked out before I started modding the suspension on my car. In the eighteen months I've owned the car it hasn't gotten any worse.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I personally have dealt with alot of random noises like the one you've described. They're fixed now though! It turned out to be the striker plate on the door and also a meal piece under the dash that was over torqued and off center. Try having the dealership check these places and I'll be thats whats causing the trouble.

·
Always Out Front!
7 Posts
What you are experiencing is bad subframe bushings. I had to take my car in 3 times before the service manager figured out that Mazda had TSB out for this issue. It usually happens when the car sits for a little bit. I would get that noise while backing out of my driveway making a hard right. I actually had my subframe bushings replaced Friday and no longer have that issue.

Reactions: warlord

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm having the same problem but let us know what the dealer says

·
Registered
701 Posts
I have the same issue but on the front right. I too usually only hear it when the car has been sitting for a while. This morning pulling out of the driveway I heard it. It usually goes away in about half a mile or so of driving. I haven't bothered taking it to the dealer because I know once I get there, the sound will be gone.

·
Always Out Front!
7 Posts
I had to leave the Mazda over night. The next morning I drove the car myself with a service tech and duplicated the problem. If they tell you that it's the sway bar bushings, they are wrong. They replaced this the first time and I still had the same problem. It took for me to call Mazda Corp to get this problem fixed by letting the dealer know that the subframe bushings were the problem.

Reactions: ivan

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dear all,

great useful info. The dealer did not not find anything wrong at first sight but asked me to bring it again tomorrow and leave it overnight. Same here, it happens usually after the car has been parked for a while (e.g first thing inthe morning) and I was wrogn on my initial post, is on the right side. Thank you !

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, follow up to date, car is inthe dealer. they called me and said noise was coming from where the motor meets the hood due to a faulty seal (?????????) Told them it did not sound logic as sound is coming from the lower right side and is very distinct. One more day and let's see what they have to say...

·
Always Out Front!
7 Posts
Just tell them to call mazda tech line and ask for the tsb on "sub frame bushings" I had the exact same noise as you were experiencing until mine were replaced. Don't let them bull shit you!

·
Registered
701 Posts
I dropped off my 3 yesterday. It was really bad yesterday morning. I don't know if it is the cold or what, but it was so bad I was almost scared to drive it. Like it sounded like it was going to fall apart. Of course by the time I got it over to the dealership the sound went away. They called me later that day and said they could not recreate the sounds. So I told them to don't drive it anymore and just check it again tomorrow morning (today).

·
Registered
701 Posts
Just tell them to call mazda tech line and ask for the tsb on "sub frame bushings" I had the exact same noise as you were experiencing until mine were replaced. Don't let them bull shit you!
I just told the dealership to look up a TSB for the sub frame. Lets see what they say...

·
Registered
701 Posts
update: Service guy just called me. He took my car out for a spin this morning. And as predicted, the sound was recreated. They are working on it now. I hope they fix/replace the right part.

·
Registered
701 Posts
BLAH! I got my car back yesterday after they said they fixed it. When I picked it up I asked what was replaced. They said nothing was replaced and the "suspension was just tightened". So this morning, guess what...clunk clunk from the front right. They looked up the tsb for the subframe and said it did not apply to my car. So it looks like another trip to the dealership!!

·
Registered
701 Posts
Update #2: I dropped off my 3 at the dealership last night. I told them that I would leave the car overnight but I will be be back tomorrow morning (today) to drive a tech around. I got there this morning at 8am. Started up the car and drove about 2 feet. CLUNK! The tech right away said "oh, that is the subframe problem". I drove him around for another mile or so. The sound occurred over and over again. The tech said "yes we need to replace the subframe bushings"

Service manager just called me and said they are ordering the bushings. Should have it next week. They are going to install and keep my car for another night after that. So hopefully by Wednesday of next week I have my car back all fixed.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I got a metal on metal (or similar to metal on metal) sound (first time) this morning while backing slowly down inclined driveway, (thought it might be brakes parking brake not releasing completely but who knows at this point). It was not apparent after backing on to level street and driving forward. Ive only driven car about 1600 kilometers since new. Car was outside all night. Air temp outside was about +1 degree Celsius. I'll try to duplicate tomorrow since temps will be similar.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Sorry, metal sounding noise hasn't repeated itself since that one time. In my case, probably was the emergency brake not releasing fully in cold temp, Mazda makes mention of this in owners manual.

It won't stop me from using an E-Brake however, ever since my old '78 Ford 4x4 rolled down the inclined driveway, smashed through my neighbours basement window, and sprayed cold water from the water line the truck ruptured, all over the neighbours daughter who was in bed in the basement at the time (yeah, she was screaming bigtime). I tried running after the truck at the time, but ended up feeling VERY helpless as it went on it's rampage.
I use an emergency brake pretty much always with a standard trans now. Oh, to finish off this true story, my truck insurance had just expired two days previously. Yeah, I know...verrrrrry stupid, one of those cosmic cluster f--kups but good for a laugh now. Vivid memory.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for the additional info, I took the car from the dealer saying they could not replicate it, and since Thursday I had the noise almost every day when backing up/going into a ramp.

Samer as Homer3D, sometimes is really loud like somethink snapped. Do you know if there is an specific number/reference for the TSB?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts