2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright so it has been a while since I posted on here and that is mostly due to my lack of love for my 3 as the dash started melting last year and I just couldn’t handle it. Im a bit OCD in that I keep my car clean at all times and the melted dash has been my nemesis as it collects hair & dust and gets worse every time I try to clean it. Pieces have even begun to fall off.. .yeah, fall the f off! It also gets a funky haze on the window, sticky stuff on the plastic where the window meets the dash and gives a gnarly reflection in the windshield when driving into the sun..

Anyhow, I finally got some good news this morning, Mazda is going to pay for the parts and I just have to $250 for the labor. FINE. Sucks to have to pay but beats the heck out of paying $1000.

Should be getting it fixed some time next week when they get the parts in. My big question now… Do I sell it once its fixed? I live in Florida, near the beach, always park in the sun, never had this issue before (and the 3 is the newest vehicle I have ever owned (camry, prelude, ranger, explorer, maxima)).

The dealer says that Mazda will not help me if the problem happens again. They also say that Mazda likely would not use the same protocols with the replacement dash, however they cannot guarantee anything. They did say the new dash would be split in the middle, not a single piece. Not exactly what I want to hear, but if its not a melted mess I’m stoked for it.

Side note: Lokey Nissan (where i bought the car in 2012) wanted nothing to do with helping me fix the issue, finally and thankfully Fermin Mazda has worked with Mazda corp to help me out. I'll be buying my next car from them.

·
Registered
79 Posts
weird man. i live in SoCal, where it's hot most of the year. summer averages 100-105, sometimes more. always parked in the sun. only had the car two years now, but have not seen any type of melting or fading. i don't have window tint either, nor do i use a sun shade.

if i were you, use a sun shade after inatalled and get window tint if you don't have already. i wouldn't sell it, but then again you do run the risk of it happening again and affecting the resale ( as someone who has bought a car from a crooked seller, i'd sure as hell hope you'd tell the buyer about it ).

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reactions: mekanick

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Proper

i'd sure as hell hope you'd tell the buyer about it ).

Alright, so to give you a proper rebuttal here I first must give you all the info I have uncovered in regards to this issue:

File complaint:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
4 Complaints: 2010 Mazda MAZDA3 Dashboard Melting
Mazda Mazda3 Problems, 2010 Mazda Mazda3 Complaints - Page #1

Forums:
2010 Mazda 3 - Dashboard Melting!! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
Mazda 6 Dashboard Melting - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Has your Dashboard Melted? - Mazdaspeed Forums

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/JennStrathman/posts/695847817138178

Lawsuits:
Mazda Lawsuit Filed After Complaints of Melting and Shiny Dashboards | CarComplaints.com
Mazda Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Over Alleged Dashboard Defect in Mazda 3 & Mazda 6 Vehicles
Week Adjourned: 10.10.14 - Mazda, Toyota, AT&T
Mazda Blindsided By Dashboard Defect Class Action Lawsuit
Mazda Melting Dashboard Class Action Lawsuit Filed
Sticky, Melting Dashboard Lawsuits | ClassAction.org

Actual PDF of the Class Action Lawsuit regarding the 2009 - 2011 Mazda 3 & 6’s filed this October (2014)
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/Stedman_et_al_v_Mazda_1608.pdf
Page 8:
HE EXAMINED THE DASHBOARD
AND TOLD ME HE HAS SEEN THIS BEFORE, MOSTLY IN
STATES LIKE FLORIDA, THAT ARE BASICALLY HOT ALL
YEAR. HE STATED IT WAS THE GLUE USED TO SECURE THE
DASHBOARD WHICH WAS LEECHING UP.

If you have gone thru all those links will know that this issue is not isolated to my car. In fact I think your car qualifies (year and model) to be affected. Hence, will you tell a potential buyer of this issue which you now know when you go to sell it?

Regardless, I will likely trade mine in.

Reactions: chavy

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
That's so weird I've never seen something like that happen. Man, I'd be pissed too

Good luck with that and I don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
do love the car tho

Really tho, I do love everything else about the car.

Im going to be trying to get in touch with people who have had this issue and had the dash replaced already to see if anyone is experiencing the same problem a second time around. If no one has I think I'll keep it. Almost have it paid off now anyhow.

·
Registered
79 Posts

Alright, so to give you a proper rebuttal here I first must give you all the info I have uncovered in regards to this issue:

File complaint:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/index.xhtml
4 Complaints: 2010 Mazda MAZDA3 Dashboard Melting
Mazda Mazda3 Problems, 2010 Mazda Mazda3 Complaints - Page #1

Forums:
2010 Mazda 3 - Dashboard Melting!! - Mazda3 Forums : The #1 Mazda 3 Forum
Mazda 6 Dashboard Melting - Page 2 - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum
Has your Dashboard Melted? - Mazdaspeed Forums

Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/JennStrathman/posts/695847817138178

Lawsuits:
Mazda Lawsuit Filed After Complaints of Melting and Shiny Dashboards | CarComplaints.com
Mazda Class Action Lawsuit Complaint Over Alleged Dashboard Defect in Mazda 3 & Mazda 6 Vehicles
Week Adjourned: 10.10.14 - Mazda, Toyota, AT&T
Mazda Blindsided By Dashboard Defect Class Action Lawsuit
Mazda Melting Dashboard Class Action Lawsuit Filed
Sticky, Melting Dashboard Lawsuits | ClassAction.org

Actual PDF of the Class Action Lawsuit regarding the 2009 - 2011 Mazda 3 & 6’s filed this October (2014)
http://pdfserver.amlaw.com/nlj/Stedman_et_al_v_Mazda_1608.pdf
Page 8:
HE EXAMINED THE DASHBOARD
AND TOLD ME HE HAS SEEN THIS BEFORE, MOSTLY IN
STATES LIKE FLORIDA, THAT ARE BASICALLY HOT ALL
YEAR. HE STATED IT WAS THE GLUE USED TO SECURE THE
DASHBOARD WHICH WAS LEECHING UP.

If you have gone thru all those links will know that this issue is not isolated to my car. In fact I think your car qualifies (year and model) to be affected. Hence, will you tell a potential buyer of this issue which you now know when you go to sell it?

Regardless, I will likely trade mine in.
i went through some of them, not all. excuse me for not reading them all.

i would tell the buyer about it, yes. and i would also show them the complaints and class actions, to follow it showing that it is not user error, but rather a manufacture error. this way they may have a hoping edge to get something done about it. i feel you shouldn't hide stuff from buyers, it's morally wrong. but that's just me.

with that said, it's interesting going through some of these links. i have always loved Mazda, but this is my first Mazda vehicle i've owned. it kind of puts fear in the future of the materials in my car. i hope you do find a solution, and not just a temporary one. and i'm sorry this happened to you, i know i would be a little depressed about it myself.

also, i was at a job in the desert for a week, in the middle of summer, with the car sitting in 110F direct heat. i'm suprised it didn't melt! haha. not to say it won't in the future.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i feel ya

I feel ya on the full disclosure. I really probably will trade it in and let a dealer deal with it. That is if I dont just decide to keep it.

Be it that only about 50 (a high personal estimate) mazda owners have experienced this I have a feeling it has something to do with a bad batch of glue used to seal the dash down. Likely not something widespread.

If it starts to happen to yours or anyone elses it will start above the steering wheel. My recommendation from personal experiance is 'dont try to clean it'. You will only end up spreading the issue (glue) around.

Again though, I did find a solution, Mazda's paying for the dash, I gotta pay for labor. Will post pictures next week when they get it done for me. Im interested to see what it will look like as a two piece instead of a one.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
for real

damn your dash looked nasty lol glad they are fixing it
Plus I took those pictures in the shade. Looks twice as bad in the sun. And I didnt take a pic of where a piece of it fell off where it wraps near the wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Friend fixed via Fiberglass

A friend of mine had a custom Fiberglass one. He made it himself after masking it off a plenty. It ended up paint matched to the car and looked sweet. Check it out on you tube by browsing fiberglass dash DIY.

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
quick update

First off, it was not a two peice, at least not that I can tell. Looks like the day I bought it. It has been a while now since the dealer put a new dash on and it seems to be holding up just fine. I've decided to keep the car and have begun ordering parts for more mods. Cant wait to get lower, a roof rack, some tint on the lights, visors and more. Also just bought a house in Feb with a two car garage so really excited to get my hands dirty this summer.

I'm back b!tc#es!!

Reactions: chavy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the SAME issue. I live in FL. my dash is melting to the point where I almost crashed my car due to the intense glare. When I brought it to my dealers attention I was advised that it was my fault for not using a sunshade 100% of the time. I am OUTRAGED as I chose to buy a second Mazda after my first lasted 16 years. This one is barely making it to 5 years.

·
Registered
1 Posts
paid off my car two years ago (2010 Mazda3) then it started melting my dashboard but i did't pay attention until it got very worst. any body can help me to replace it? i live in hawaii btw. sometimes i feel so sick seeing my car like that, so sticky, and sun glares the hell out of me while driving, which irritates me. Please HELP!

·
Registered
20 Posts
They've been recalled!

I love my 2010 Mazda 3s sport gt more than any car I ever had. I live in Las Vegas and keep it in the garage. My dash seems fine but I will get it replaced if it starts to melt or if it doesn't, in early 2020. I wonder what TOXIC gases we are breathing because of this problem. Does anyone have a cough they can't get over? I do. In any case, anyone who paid labor for the repair can now get their money back since Mazda has acknowledged the problem and will be putting in new dashes for us.

·
zoom freakin' zoom
613 Posts
Yes...i got the recall letter a couple of weeks ago. The dash on my 2010 is fine now but ive filed it in the 3 binder just in case. I wonder if the op has been reimbursed the money he paid out of pocket to fix it?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
My dash recently started cracking in the cold weather. The issues with the melting and cracking are related. Can someone please tell me if they'll cover this under the extended warranty?

I'll ask the Mazda dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just had mine replaced last week under the extended 10 year warranty. My original wasn't too bad either but had it done just because I could. Didn't cost me a dime and turn around was same day. I was told the new replacement dash was an entirely NEW part, not just old OEM replacement part and should not repeat the issue.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts