2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
And after a month it feels super notchy and terrible. A lot of worse than it did before.

Did some research and people are saying Gl-5 fluid is bad for the transmission? Will I have done a lot of damage after a month of using it?

What should I put in instead?

2010 3 GT w/ 6speed manual

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Maybe someone can confirm this but some manual transmissions have brass synchro's and GL5 fluid is bad for it apparently. I've heard it softens the brass metal and that can contribute to your extra notchy shifting but I'm not certain if we have brass synchro's or not. You can switch it out for another brand of fluid to see if it'll improve.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe someone can confirm this but some manual transmissions have brass synchro's and GL5 fluid is bad for it apparently. I've heard it softens the brass metal and that can contribute to your extra notchy shifting but I'm not certain if we have brass synchro's or not. You can switch it out for another brand of fluid to see if it'll improve.
I saw that too. I'm a little annoyed because it costed me $60 to do it and now I'm taking it right out.

He said it would "be fine". I should have done more research before doing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts