• No, Thank You

Votes: 4 20.0%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

Just putting a feeler out there. Me and my "associate" (haha) have placed an order for two of these hoods. The hoods do not appear to be functional Ram Air, but we are setting up a 3D scanner and going to attempt to make it Ram Air. It could totally not work out, or it could work out awesome -- I have no idea until we get the hoods in our hands. The Ram Air would drop into the top of the air box.

Since there's nothing like this in the U.S. (at least that I know of), we're looking to order a small inventory from our friends in Japan. Would any of you have interest? Please fill out the poll. Cost is really undetermined because shipping is craaaaaazy expensive to get these over here and the quotes we've received doesn't really discount the shipping much at all. A hood is a hood, doesn't matter if you're shipping 1, 2, or 5.

So completely hypothetical, we'll say hood is going to be $1200 drop-shipped anywhere in the U.S. There will be an add-on cost for the functionality of the Ram Air if/when we get it designed (cost is completely undetermined because we're not sure on materials, R&D, or manufacturing cost yet). Again, I'm only putting a price out there to see if you guys would even think this is worth your money.

See link for the actual hood (Yes, the website is in Japanese) (Correction: Thai)

http://www.mps-japan.com/!/ฺฝากระโปรง_MPS_Bonnet/55ec0ac2e25079e4828c65bf

And the poll question is: Would you buy a Speed3 Hood for the 3rd Gen? I must've stroked out or something when I was setting it up -- sorry about that.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Website is actually in Thai, they make everything happen in that part of the world because labour is so cheap.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Not my personal choice. Looks like a Maz-WRX to me, like someone was attempting to emulate my ‘17 WRX.

But to each their own, and for those who like it, go for it. It certainly is not a negative visual.

·
Registered
185 Posts
While I like the look of it and having functionality, it's a definite "no" from me. I'm never going to add forced induction so the use of this is negated and it's too expensive for being a "looks" piece.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Looks nice but the problem is it's a speed 3 hood and there is no way I know of you can get to air induct into a new Skyactiv engine. Would just be a big rain scoop.
Am happy to be corrected but I thought MZ had done a similar bonnet and it was ducted to the airbox.

·
Registered
111 Posts
With 14:1 compression on an Atkinson-cycle engine, there's no hope for ADDING significant power to the 2.5L Skyactiv-G engine...squeezing hidden horses out is our best hope until someone streamlines a 2.5T swap.

·
Banned
842 Posts
Looks nice but the problem is it's a speed 3 hood and there is no way I know of you can get to air induct into a new Skyactiv engine. Would just be a big rain scoop.
Welllllllllllll maybe not? If it is done correctly with some thought and naturally a little experience with the science of air flow and automotive aerodynamics supported by little education with aircraft wing design specifically like finding low/high pressure area and air flow. Oh and having a few friends that are actual "rocket scientists/engineers" and having access to a real wind tunnel for experimenting helps.:wink2: :laugh2:

Keep an eye on my thread my freind! :grin2:

Aerojet

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As much as I'd love to pay homage to the MS3, this just isn't a fast car.
lol. I have to agree and point well-made.

Sidenote though, tuning it through OVT for 93 octane definitely changes the characteristics of the car. Much more enjoyable and peppy -- especially through the ENTIRE powerband

Reactions: Davidval18

·
Registered
988 Posts
Sidenote though, tuning it through OVT for 93 octane definitely changes the characteristics of the car. Much more enjoyable and peppy -- especially through the ENTIRE powerband
I agree, fast car it will never be, hence I like to call it a "Speedy" car >:) . You gotta love that torque build up throughout the entire powerband :grin2:

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree, fast car it will never be, hence I like to call it a "Speedy" car >:) . You gotta love that torque build up throughout the entire powerband :grin2:
Very much so. Definitely the fastest 4-cylinder car I've ever had w/o forced induction.

·
Hoon Apprentice
113 Posts
This is a dumb question, I'm sure, but... could the carbon fiber be painted to the car body's color? the CF hood doesn't go too well with Soul Red Metallic (but it looks pretty slick with the meteor gray paint.)

Yeah, $1200 is just a bit too steep for me... It'd be tempting at $500-650, but $1200 would be a bit of a :nutkick:

·
Registered
988 Posts
This is a dumb question, I'm sure, but... could the carbon fiber be painted to the car body's color? the CF hood doesn't go too well with Soul Red Metallic (but it looks pretty slick with the meteor gray paint.)
On MZ facebook page I have seen pictures of blended paint work with the carbon fiber look, looks pretty awesome to be honest, amazing effect.

Now painting a carbon fiber hood in soul red is pretty much possible but that would defeat the whole purpose of having a carbon fiber hood, wouldn't it? If you are going to paint match it then why don't you stay with the OEM hood instead since to the eye of the beholder it will look the same, the only difference that you will know that it is CF.

Now speaking to MZ, they told their carbon fiber hood is 7kg, OEM hood weighs about 20kg, approx. 13kg in weigh reductions which won't really do nothing on a relatively heavy car. Adding the coat of paint might increase by a minimum the weight of the CF hood.

So IMHO if you are spending that much money, spend it for the looks of the CF or have some blended option as the picture that I provided below.

*Interesting fact: By my amateur calculations, to have the 3 on the same weight level as the MX-5, you need to get rid of approx. 250-280kg of weight, switching to a carbon fiber hood and fenders won't help at all, by the very best you are only trimming 20kg of weight :( , I wished this 3rd Gen 3 had a turbo, making somewhere about 230HP would put this car in a league of its own. In a couple of years 2-3 years I might sell this car and buy the Mazda 6 2.5Liter with turbo, yes please :)

Attachments

·
2018 Mazda6 Signature
503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
...In a couple of years 2-3 years I might sell this car and buy the Mazda 6 2.5Liter with turbo, yes please :)
YUP! I'll be keeping my 3, but I will be picking one of these bad boys up myself. I'll see you there! haha:beerchug 1:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts