2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a naturally aspirated 3 with the 2.5. I'm curious how you picked the Mazdaspeed 3 and if you considered the WRX. With 263 horsepower rear or all wheel drive sounds likes a gread way to reduce tourqe steer. My NA 3 is well controlled and Mazda did a great job handling tourqe steer on it.

N

·
0 Posts
well i'm the type that likes to have the top of the line trim and since theres an STi, the WRX was out of the question. But the STi and EVO were out of my price range so, it was the MS3.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Considered the WRX and STi at one point...for the features I wanted/needed, both were above the Speed3's price point and didn't seem as good a value as the Speed3. I also preferred the overall interior fit and finish of the Speed3 over the Subaru's.

The original post mentions torque steer and RWD/4WD as a means of managing it with respect to the Speed3...don't believe everything in the online and print reviews. The torque steer in the Speed3 is still present but wholly manageable, not at all as harsh as some reviewers would have you believe.

·
1,091 Posts
Rediscovered Mazda when I sat in my friend's 2010 MS3. Was in the market originally for a 2003 4dr Accord w/ stick. Damn near impossible to find so I gave up and fished the Mazda dealers for what kind of offers I could get on a 2010 MS3 for curiosity sake. The Subaru never crossed my mind cause I've never felt the need for AWD here in California. Also, if I was going to get a WRX, I'd have to go back to hunting for a used '06 cause I'm not fond of the current generation styling at all. After taking the MS3 for a spin, the decision was crystal clear! The glowing reviews and praise put any remaining qualms to rest. I was going to buy a good car, not some wishy-washy car that'd be a mechanical nightmare for the sake of being unique.

Anyway, my stance on the torque steer is that it's predictable and manageable and this is my first car with any measurable amount of torque. Definitely a good time to get back to driving with both hands on the wheel!

·
2010 MS3
244 Posts
Also, if I was going to get a WRX, I'd have to go back to hunting for a used '06 cause I'm not fond of the current generation styling at all. After taking the MS3 for a spin, the decision was crystal clear! The glowing reviews and praise put any remaining qualms to rest.
Speaks the truth! :eek:hsnap 1:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I checked out the Impreza hatch before buying my 2010 MazdaSpeed3. Granted, the one I checked out was not a WRX, but... I did not feel comfortable inside, the Mazda 3 has a bit more of a sports car "feel / vibe" when you're sitting in it... the Impreza just felt very uninspiring, felt more like a "little bus" than a hot hatch. I'm exaggerating the point, but you get what I'm saying.

And let's not forget the price difference, the WRX is a few grand more. Ok, it has AWD, that IS worth a few extra grand IF you actually need AWD... but DO you NEED it? If you don't NEED it, then it's just more money, more weight, more complex stuff in the car to wear out and break down, etc. It's only a "bad" thing if you don't NEED it... in my opinion.

Torque steer... Yes, I do experience torque steer under heavy throttle, but in no way do I find it to be a problem. It's very manageable. If you do not expect it, it can catch you off guard, but as long as you are familiar with the car's overall behavior, in my opinion yo will not find the MS3 torque steer to be a problem at all. It's not bad, and you get used to it quickly. Just hold the steering wheel a little tighter than usual while under heavy throttle and you'll be fine.

Also, while I usually do not care much about image or aesthetics, I have to admit, the MS3 is just a way "cooler" car. It has more character, more vibe, it's more recognizable, etc... it's "sexy". The WRX seems way more sedate, kind of boring really, a little "frumpy" if anything... perhaps more of a "sleeper" which one might prefer, but there's something to be said for driving a car that is clearly "exciting" on all fronts. When I come down to the driveway in the morning and see that sleek racy styling, big hood scoop, etc, I start feeling the thrill before I even start the engine. I don't think I'd feel quite the same way about a WRX.

Anyway, I'm extremely happy with my 2010 MS3... no regrets... if it got stolen tomorrow, I'd buy another identical car to replace it. I'm sure the WRX is a neat car, but I don't think you can go wrong with an MS3. We're dealing with two good cars here, it's not like one is great and the other sucks. I'd say the one main thing that should be a deciding factor is whether or not you NEED AWD... answer that question truthfully and you've made your choice.

:afro:

·
Registered
60 Posts
I agree with the aforementioned the speed3 looks so much more exotic and has amazing styling for this price.

E.Tinker: In your opinion why do you think the reviewers tend to write so much about the harsh torque steer, but then i hear from owners that it is manageable, even hear from some that it seems to be in character for this vehicle? I guess torque steer is something that is considered unacceptable these days in a car... i dont know. I STILL WANT ONE lol.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
E.Tinker: In your opinion why do you think the reviewers tend to write so much about the harsh torque steer, but then i hear from owners that it is manageable, even hear from some that it seems to be in character for this vehicle?
My blunt, unfiltered, honest opinion is that they're big f'ing pansies ;).

Damn near all FWD cars will exhibit some torque steer (even my Protege5 when flogged off the line will if I don't have my hand on the wheel)...and it will become more apparent with increased horsepower, it's a concession of the FWD design. Apparent harshness in the torque steer of the Speed3 may just be attributed to reviewer preference...some won't mind the (minimal) amount of torqe steer, some will absolutely hate it.

Obviously, the torque steer is there, without a doubt...and If you try to launch the car without being cognizant of the amount of power it has, it might just buck you...but from a the standpoint of someone who uses the vehicle as a daily driver, the torque steer is not unmanageable. Launch the car from every dead stop and you will feel the torque steer...ease off the cluth and ease onto the throttle (like most of us will do from a stop in day to day driving) and it's not even there.

To be fair, reviewers must point out both the triumphs and shortcomings of any vehicular design, otherwise their review would be nothing but pandering. However, to say that the torqe steer in this car is "out-of-control" or " unweildy" is definitely an over-exaggeration and may just be a product of unrealistic driving habits (reviewers will tend to drive a bit more "spiritedly" than your average Speed3 owner...after all, they don't have to pay for vehicle maintenance).

·
Registered
50 Posts
i considered a WRX aswell, and i agree with what Nasty said above about the trim packages.
And I was gonna by a used 07 Acura TL Type-S but after looking for months for a 6 speed manual and having no luck, I came to realize that the price for performanc of the Speed was unmatched.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My blunt, unfiltered, honest opinion is that they're big f'ing pansies ;).

Damn near all FWD cars will exhibit some torque steer (even my Protege5 when flogged off the line will if I don't have my hand on the wheel)...and it will become more apparent with increased horsepower, it's a concession of the FWD design. Apparent harshness in the torque steer of the Speed3 may just be attributed to reviewer preference...some won't mind the (minimal) amount of torqe steer, some will absolutely hate it.

Obviously, the torque steer is there, without a doubt...and If you try to launch the car without being cognizant of the amount of power it has, it might just buck you...but from a the standpoint of someone who uses the vehicle as a daily driver, the torque steer is not unmanageable. Launch the car from every dead stop and you will feel the torque steer...ease off the cluth and ease onto the throttle (like most of us will do from a stop in day to day driving) and it's not even there.

To be fair, reviewers must point out both the triumphs and shortcomings of any vehicular design, otherwise their review would be nothing but pandering. However, to say that the torqe steer in this car is "out-of-control" or " unweildy" is definitely an over-exaggeration and may just be a product of unrealistic driving habits (reviewers will tend to drive a bit more "spiritedly" than your average Speed3 owner...after all, they don't have to pay for vehicle maintenance).
I agree 100%. I've always driven FWD cars so I don't think it's an issue at all in the MS3. I wonder what some of the reviewers drive on a daily basis for them to think the torque steer is bad enough to really comment on it. Like you said, maybe it's because they are launching the car over and over. I'm using mine as a daily driver as well and I don't notice it at all. Then again, I'm not trying to race it either :/

For anyone considering the MS3 that is worried about it.... Just take it for a test drive. I think you'll be surprised at how exaggerated some of the reviews are.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I also agree. I purchased a 92 Mazda Mx3 V6 brand new and this only had around I want to say 180hp and it had torque steer. Bottom line is Fwd cars will have torque steer especially when you have some ponies under the hood:yes: Ive had mine for a few days now still breaking in and i have been driving quite pedestrian like I will on a normal basis and i do not feel it, but i am aware that it is there so i dont get snake bit. Just drive the thing its so much fun, looks great, good support, nice hop-ups, etc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Damn near all FWD cars will exhibit some torque steer (even my Protege5 when flogged off the line will if I don't have my hand on the wheel)...
Yup, my P5 as well...even at only 126 hp. Maybe that's why I roll my eyes every time I read a reviewer complain about it on the MS3.

About the WRX, I wouldn't consider it unless it was an STI...but, even then, the styling on the MS3 is way better to me.

·
The One and Only
3,581 Posts
I was looking at a WRX and decided to check out the MS3. The WRX to me felt more stuck to the road in turns and on straight line acceleration. The MS3 was nicer inside and had more of a "technology" feel in it. I was looking at leasing and the WRX was less expensive to lease. It pretty much depends on what the driver is looking for, buying, leasing, AWD, etc. I preferred the way the way the WRX drove, handled and accelerated and the lease price was better. But either way, it looks like I am getting a regular Mazda3 5 door because I couldn't refuse the lease offer I got on it and I can keep my 07 350Z. :cool 1:

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ha just a funny fact, Top Gear's website shows the 2010 Mazda3 MPS only 1 point (13/20) behind a reviewed STI(14/20). Also the same score given to a Ford Focus ST. Interesting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I drove the WRX and Imprezza 2.5 hatch; on paper (including reviews I read) they looked good, styling aside. The shifter was so rubbery it detracted from the whole driving experience. Subaru knows this and sells an upgrade through its parts department.

What I couldn't get past was the interior quality, particularly the hard door panels. In a base $17k car or a loaded STi, it's the same crap.

Also, in my area a WRX is a cop magnet. In the last couple of years there have been a couple of horrific crashes caused by high-schoolers whose parents bought them a WRX. Towns had petitions to ban the car (no kidding) and the media played it up, so anyone driving a WRX is apt to get pulled over just to see who's driving. I have an Elise, and already get that from officers who want to look at the car.

In the northeast, they sell tons of them due to the AWD. People think it's a magic hand that keeps them on the road. So there's a segment of Subaru drivers here that think it's race day anytime it snows.:bash:

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
I drove the WRX and Imprezza 2.5 hatch; on paper (including reviews I read) they looked good, styling aside. The shifter was so rubbery it detracted from the whole driving experience. Subaru knows this and sells an upgrade through its parts department.

What I couldn't get past was the interior quality, particularly the hard door panels. In a base $17k car or a loaded STi, it's the same crap.

Also, in my area a WRX is a cop magnet. In the last couple of years there have been a couple of horrific crashes caused by high-schoolers whose parents bought them a WRX. Towns had petitions to ban the car (no kidding) and the media played it up, so anyone driving a WRX is apt to get pulled over just to see who's driving. I have an Elise, and already get that from officers who want to look at the car.

In the northeast, they sell tons of them due to the AWD. People think it's a magic hand that keeps them on the road. So there's a segment of Subaru drivers here that think it's race day anytime it snows.:bash:
That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard!!! Don't the town folk have more important things to worry about?

·
BLUEDOG 69
50 Posts
hands down mazda 3 as far as style, asthetics and performance. ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM!!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Looked at a couple WRX's and a Cobalt SS (just to appease the father in law who is GM of a chevy dealership), a VW GTI, Civic SI, and a Caliber SRT-4.

I don't like the smile on the 2010 MS3, but abolutely hate the Subaru Corolla. They just destroyed a gorgeous car IMO ( I know I know... still dreaming of a blue 02 STI with gold wheels...). Inside it was mostly hard plastic, so no thanks.. Plus another 3 grand or so.

The Cobalt SS, well it had one massive thing going for it, foot to the floor shifting, great idea. A craptacular interior again, not the functionality of a 5 door hatch. Didn't like the steering either... Just felt wrong to me.

Had an integra GS-R with a B-16 head on it (poor mans R), and checked out the civic. Love the long RPM range, but still not the power or interior of a MS3. definitely a very mod friendly car though

GTI, very nice inside, hated the wheels and look, and the power is a bit less.

Caliber SRT-4, very functional, a bit tall IMO, felt like driving a really fast crossover.

Nothing against those cars, all have their niche... But I wanted something fast and quick and not just in a straight line, needed the practicality with room in the back, and wanted an upscale interior. MS3 fit the bill best for me

·
Registered
987 Posts
i can't speak for the speed3, but i had a civic that would try to rip the steering wheel out of your hands from a hard launch. that car was a fun little thing! from the sounds of it, the MS3 torque is about equal to a tuned 98 civic on shitty tires. saying you can't handle the TS on a MS3 is saying you can't handle a Honda Civic. P*ssies.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I traded in my STI for a Speed3 and I have no regrets.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts