2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I'm trying to do a simple, mild burble tune with Mazdaedit as an extension of the factory tune to add a little fun factor to my car with my current exhaust setup. However, as a newbie in the world of tuning, the number of ignition and fueling maps are overwhelming.
I'm really hoping someone can point me in the right direction on which tables to edit to achieve my goal.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
403 Posts
I think @arathol maybe able to point you in the right direction.
My Mazdaedit experience is thru OV Tuning or other pay tune services like DR Tune. I am assuming you have the epifan mazdaedit personal to enable writing hex .
Im actually thinking of doing an online course at Learn How To Tune Like A Pro | Online Tuning Courses (not mazdaedit software specific) to learn basics /parameters how to map on any platform.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool, hopefully they can chime in with some help!
I was also tuned by OV, but was a bit unsatisfied tbh. That could very well have been my fault since I was making some changes to the car in that time frame and it's been hard to contact rafael lately for more updates.
I have a vague idea of what's going on in the tuning process, but with the limited mazdaedit support and tutorials (most I've found were for rx8s, which have very different map tables available than what I've seen), it's been overwhelming with the variations of each table that don't make sense even when looking over datalogs to compare to.
Again, very thankful to anyone that can help me with my small goal!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
403 Posts
Cool, hopefully they can chime in with some help!
I was also tuned by OV, but was a bit unsatisfied tbh. That could very well have been my fault since I was making some changes to the car in that time frame and it's been hard to contact rafael lately for more updates.
I have a vague idea of what's going on in the tuning process, but with the limited mazdaedit support and tutorials (most I've found were for rx8s, which have very different map tables available than what I've seen), it's been overwhelming with the variations of each table that don't make sense even when looking over datalogs to compare to.
Again, very thankful to anyone that can help me with my small goal!
OVT thru [email protected] has not been working .
I've been told that OV Tunes for Mazda 3 are still available thru Rafael who was working with Matt.
Matt has moved on to only do Toyota tuning. Rafael is in the Philippines and continues to tune with OVT with what was left from Matt.
Do keep in mind the time difference when trying to reach Rafael here : [email protected]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I've been playing with the software, I decided to mess with every ignition table and make the values the same in the areas I'm editing. As for fueling, I adjusted the closed loop target to 12:1 between 2500-6000 RPM in the lowest load tables.
So far all I've managed to do is make the car buck around when very light on throttle above 3500 rpm.
However, when I'm cruising at about 75MPH, if I let off the throttle and tap it, it'll let out a couple of crackles a second or 2 after tapping the gas.
I just can't seem to get it to crackle on command.
What does everyone think of forcing the car into open loop? Would that get me closer to the results I'm looking for?

·
Registered
109 Posts
So I've been playing with the software, I decided to mess with every ignition table and make the values the same in the areas I'm editing. As for fueling, I adjusted the closed loop target to 12:1 between 2500-6000 RPM in the lowest load tables.
So far all I've managed to do is make the car buck around when very light on throttle above 3500 rpm.
However, when I'm cruising at about 75MPH, if I let off the throttle and tap it, it'll let out a couple of crackles a second or 2 after tapping the gas.
I just can't seem to get it to crackle on command.
What does everyone think of forcing the car into open loop? Would that get me closer to the results I'm looking for?
Did you delete your cats? From what I've been told burble tunes will melt your cats.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
403 Posts
Reading some more on burble tune... and basically it has to do with running a more fuel rich fuel ratio and of course the
extra fuel pops and gurgles ... and does so in the more restricted areas of your exhaust... the oem cats and headers
(as mentioned by @Dar_T ) which leads to oem ceramic core cats to disintegrate and plug up which can lead to engine valves melting.
Solution : obvious .. not tune extra rich. Replace oem cats with high flow or ultra high flow metal core.
replace headers with long tube headers. The premise is that you have to remove the restrictive ness of the exhaust to take advantage
of the burble tune and not have your cats and engine melt from excess internal heat.
Have a look at what happened to this mustang ...
Once cats were removed ...wow what an amazing exhaust sounding V8

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the concern and info! I still have the cat that's attached to the manifold, but have a racepipe in place of the 2nd one.
I was planning on buying headers in the near future, but I still wanted to get the burbles running in the meantime.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,392 Posts
Contact Rafael.
CK

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
403 Posts
Thank you for the concern and info! I still have the cat that's attached to the manifold, but have a racepipe in place of the 2nd one.
I was planning on buying headers in the near future, but I still wanted to get the burbles running in the meantime.
My Tune with OVT does burble a bit but no where near the Mustang .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts