Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

If you've been following the action you may have seen that a slew of Mazda3 ECU tuning efforts have been going on recently, but unfortunately the posting of results and progress have been hampered by some politics. Since I'm not privy to said politics however, and just care about getting information out to the community, I reached out to Mat (OVTuned) about making his set of free tuning maps available to the members of this forum.

The basic idea is that you need a MazdaEdit license and a Tactrix cable to talk to the ECU with, and from there you can overwrite the stock fuel, cam and ignition timing maps with these tuned ones to gain anywhere from 10-25hp from your engine. Tuning the car isn't exactly free of course, the MazdaEdit license and Tactrix cable both cost money, but the maps provided by Mat will be free and you can split the equipment cost between friends pretty easily.

I am not an expert on engine tuning yet, so Mat has kindly offered to put instructional videos on Youtube and Dropbox soon. In addition to those resources, there are several members on the forum that are experienced with MazdaEdit and can help out.

--------------------------------------------------
Terms of Use: The files in the Dropbox account are free to use and free to share for individuals, for personal, non-commercial use ONLY. They are password locked for security reasons and members must send me a private message to receive the password. The password is not to be shared between anyone: any notification I receive that the password or any file has been leaked will result in the permanent removal of this free resource. Don't be that guy.

Any members affiliated with established tuning services or tuning companies may be able to access these maps, but will first be referred back to Mat for discussion on a case-by-case basis.

For members who have gained access to these maps, they are unlocked and free to manipulate. Members are free to talk about the maps, discuss, post modified maps, etc. but no part of the map, hex, or file itself may be used for commercial purpose, or shared without permission to an individual, entity or company with interest in utilizing this free resource for commercial purpose. Abuse will result in the immediate and permanent removal of this free resource.
Legal Disclaimer: Although Mat has taken care to keep all stock safety protocols in place in each tuning map, Neither Mat or I shall be held liable for any damages resulting from the download, flashing, editing or use of these tuning maps. These files are provided for use at your own risk. Any information written in this post, I have done my best to ensure that it is accurate and safe to follow, but I shall not be held liable for any damages resulting from the use of information mentioned in this post. Neither I or Mat have affiliation with MazdaEdit or Tactrix, and we shall not be held liable for any damages resulting from the use or these products.

Make sure you have the correct map for your car's ECU before you flash. Mat and I will take no responsibility from damages resulting from an incorrect flash.

And with the stuffy stuff over, let's play!

Dropbox Access:

To access the Dropbox, please send me a private message requesting the password. Once you have it, log in to Dropbox using [email protected] as the username, and the password you've been given. Once logged in, you will see the full list of free maps available to you. Note that not every map is relevant to your car! More on this in a bit.

How to Use:

Youtube links will be up soon to make this even clearer, but for now, a quick step-by-step:

1. You need a Tactrix Openport 2.0 before you can do anything. Borrow one or buy from here. No reflash adapters needed, plug it straight into your OBDII port located below the steering wheel close to the door.

2. Next you need MazdaEdit Personal on your computer (preferably a laptop). Download the software through this link and you can either buy the Personal License through the parent company or through Mat himself (I can give you his email address at the same time as I give you the password to the map files).

2b. MazdaEdit Personal must be installed to a computer that can communicate via USB to the Tactrix. If you don't own a laptop you will need to bring the computer down to the garage so you can work efficiently. Super-long USB cables are not recommended for this job. Plug your USB cable from the Tactrix into your computer.

3. When you purchase the software, you are given registration instructions: part of the registration process is to copy your stock ECU. When you do so through the software, you will be given your ECU ID from the MazdaEdit software Developer. Keep this ECU ID handy, Mat's maps are named according to ECU ID so you can easily tell which maps are for your car and which you should avoid.

4. Dive into the Dropbox and pick a map to try out. At this point, all the hardware you need should be connected, so download the map, load it into MazdaEdit and connect up flash it to your car! If you're a first-timer, you should do some homework before going for it, e.g. asking experienced members for help or at least consulting some of the existing Youtube videos on ecuEdit usage. We'll have Youtube videos specific for our application up soon, so you can also just wait till Mat has the clear instructions laid out for you. :)

What to Expect:

Each file has dyno tuned maps and settings, so expect some gains even with completely stock everything. With a car with full bolt ons (intake, exhaust, header) and 93 octane gas, you can expect greater gains across the board. The benefits are far more than just "peak power": the throttle maps have been cleaned up and made more linear, the compensation maps, timing maps, load maps, engine load compensations, and many more have all been re-worked to transform the overall driveability and performance of your car. Here is one example of what can be done with a little tweaking to these maps: after several iterations, this user gained 28hp and 20lb-ft from just the tune alone, and you can see that it's proportional across the power curve. So with that, good luck, stay safe, and have fun!

@Frnchplayr15 I know this may be a sensitive one, so let me know if if can't be posted.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think it should be made very clear(for the sake of transparency) that the dyno sheet you posted is NOT representative of the files listed in your drop box account. In fact as I recall correctly, the top trace on that sheet is with a piggy back, the next one is with Advanced Performance working with the MazdaEdit software, while the two bottom traces are from work done by OV.

It IS interesting to note that Advanced performance had never seen the MazdaEdit software before the dyno day, and that OV had been working on this file for several weeks.

Now, I am all for open source tuning, and in fact all of us who do this as a profession started out as OS tuners and developers. But you need to be aware of what your getting into here, and not be misled into believing that a simple OTS file an a few days on playing around with a new software will net you a fully custom tune for your car.

I also notice that your post states that "Each file has dyno tuned maps and settings". Would you care to back that up with the dyno sheets for each and every platform? I only ask because you made the claim( and I suspect it was something you were told was true).

BTW, for those of you that do decide to take the foray into playing with your own car; We have been approached recently by several folks that got started down this path and decided it was not for them, and were looking for a well calibrated, dyno tested ROM file. So we have now started our C-n-C service for those folks. Don't worry, we can fix it, no matter how bad the file is!

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Dynotronics1 unless you have legal basis to complain, I'm going to ask you to stay out of this. I can better attempt to articulate the risks of open-source tuning but beyond that, it's on the user. And I specifically noted that the dyno results happen after tweaking of your own. We're providing exactly what it says on the can, files that you can use to tune your car, and nothing else.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
Open source tuning is huge in the Mitsubishi community, as long as you know what you are doing it's fine. I mean guys running crazy engine swaps on their Eclipse 3g's. So if someone wants a professional tune go to dynotronics. Otherwise I see no issue with discussing this without a pissing match.

·
Registered
504 Posts
@Dynotronics1 unless you have legal basis to complain, I'm going to ask you to stay out of this. I can better attempt to articulate the risks of open-source tuning but beyond that, it's on the user. And I specifically noted that the dyno results happen after tweaking of your own. We're providing exactly what it says on the can, files that you can use to tune your car, and nothing else.
No, that's not what you said;

What to Expect:

Each file has dyno tuned maps and settings, so expect some gains even with completely stock everything.

I simply ask you if you would like to produce the dyno sheets.

You also alluded to the dyno sheet in the post being results from these( or other files) done by OV. This is somewhat fraudulent is it not?

And since my post was aimed at "helping the community" which I believe is the battle cry of C-n-C, why should you be offended?

I simply wish to make clear some of the statements you posted. I believe I have done this in a very professional and courteous manner, have I not?

So again( and not to muddy the water here) can you produce dyno sheets for each platform( Malco 2.0/2.3/2.5 and denso 2.0 and skyactiv) that back up that statement? If so I am quite sure the "community" would like to see them, as would I.

And Wing, even as you and I have had our differences, I agree with you 100%. As stated before, we sell far more open source based tuning than we do closed, so the more educated the folks are, the better the understanding the difference between free and paid for work

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
And Wing, even as you and I have had our differences, I agree with you 100%. As stated before, we sell far more open source based tuning than we do closed, so the more educated the folks are, the better the understanding the difference between free and paid for work
Well then just to keep us on the same page, maybe steer clear unless someone asks a question that no on else can answer. That way it doesn't look like you are trying to deter ppl from this. As you and OV also have a not so good history. I would just like to avoid a heated debate.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Are there maps for the 2014+ models? I know there was an issue with trying to figure out them cause they were completely different from previous years.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
@ecm Whoops, the maps for the 2014 3's are not yet included in the Dropbox. That's my bad actually, I thought they were. Will wait and see, hopefully I don't have to kill this post.

No Joe I don't see your comments as respectful at all. You know the kind of work that Mat has put out over the months, yet you decide to interject here and advertise your paid services as an alternative to this free open-source release. This is not the place for that.

The information that Mat has given me states that the lines on the dyno plot reflect states of tune using the MazdaEdit suite. If you prove this is incorrect I will correct it. The maps themselves as released are also dyno tuned as per Mat's information. If you want to dispute that, you have burden of proof. PM me instead of posting to here as further discussion will simply take away from the purpose of this thread.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
OK, guys, I know all about these arguments because I get into a lot of them myself. However, I'd like to tap both your expertises on this subject matter.

First of all, I'll readily admit I don't understand the details of ECU tuning. I understand the theory, but I don't understand the interdependencies and real world outcomes. In the past, I've had my track cars tuned by professionals, but I never felt comfortable doing it myself.

Most of us use this car as a daily driver as the polling shows. I think any enthusiast is interested in getting more power without investing thousands of dollars in doing it. There is no question you can increase power with engine modifications, especially with stroking and more aggressive cams or adding a turbo. But most of us aren't going to do that -- especially with an econobox. Car companies, and especially Mazda, do a great job of factory tuning -- much better than in the past. And they can control many more variables than in the past. Again, my experience in the past with performance chips has been that the claims made really don't pan out when I've had the testing done from a third party. There is also a question of usable power. If you only increase power at high rpm's, does that really help a daily driver much? There are also downsides to a tune.

What I'd like to know is that with our 2014 Mazda 3's, what can pure tuning do for us. I'm not talking about 2013's because if they were exactly the same, you guys would already have a tune out for them. I'm also not talking about changing out the headers, or exhaust, or cam -- I'm talking about pure tuning. And just like you guys asked, I want to see the charts and testing parameters. I want to know the effect if I stick with regular gas or if I must move to 93. If I must use 93 to get the effect, what would happen if I put 87 in? Would the knock sensor have enough room to compensate?

You don't get something for nothing in this world. I would like to know the something, and the nothing, in this case. Furthermore, an explanation, specifically, of why Mazda would not optimally tune the car at the factory. It would seem to me if there were no negative effects, Mazda would be dumb not to do so because it would result in added sales at virtually no cost.

One other comment. My track cars in the past were either muscle cars or Porsches. I have no experience with Mazda's in that respect.

Reactions: oLie2k

·
Registered
504 Posts
@ecm Whoops, the maps for the 2014 3's are not yet included in the Dropbox. That's my bad actually, I thought they were. Will wait and see, hopefully I don't have to kill this post.

No Joe I don't see your comments as respectful at all. You know the kind of work that Mat has put out over the months, yet you decide to interject here and advertise your paid services as an alternative to this free open-source release. This is not the place for that.

The information that Mat has given me states that the lines on the dyno plot reflect states of tune using the MazdaEdit suite. If you prove this is incorrect I will correct it. The maps themselves as released are also dyno tuned as per Mat's information. If you want to dispute that, you have burden of proof. PM me instead of posting to here as further discussion will simply take away from the purpose of this thread.

Brian, I am sorry you feel that way. I was not trying to be confrontational at all, I simply wish to make sure that everyone understand whats being suggested as fact via your original posting, is, in fact, not quite the whole story.

TorontoMazda3

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/s...Group-buy-thread-2-0-2-5&p=1175297&viewfull=1

The link above should substantiate my point about the graph in your original post?

Again, I am not against open source tuning, but I think we need, as I said earlier, to make sure this is a completely transparent forum. I do not see the need to be private about this, since it will effect the whole group.

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Can't read that link unfortunately so if you could excerpt it that'd be appreciated. I again don't mind correcting info if I have misunderstood something but you understand that for the most part this is a personal dispute between you and Mat and I am here just to provide files access to those interested in tinkering. There is no reason for you to involve yourself here beyond an educational capacity.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Can't read that link unfortunately so if you could excerpt it that'd be appreciated. I again don't mind correcting info if I have misunderstood something but you understand that for the most part this is a personal dispute between you and Mat and I am here just to provide files access to those interested in tinkering. There is no reason for you to involve yourself here beyond an educational capacity.
Brian, Sorry, I did not see that the link required a login.

please see the attached pic with the notes from that original post.

I have no grudge with Mat, I just wanted to make sure the facts were the facts here. I am very open when it comes to what it is we do, and we will be more than happy to share,up to a point, the information on tuning the Malco or Denso ECU.

Are we going to give you a free file? Nope. but then again, you do get what you pay for. But if ya like I will be more than happy to give you a starter file and help you learn.

Attachments

·
Aspiring Mad Scientist
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the pic notes. Definitely we've done better than that through Mat's tuning so let me press him to get a better, more recent dyno plot showing real progress. That should clear up any confusion.

·
Registered
14 Posts
how do i post a picture of my datalog graphs? if i were to upload the file, would everyone be able to see it or just those who have the software?

as for what was posted earlier. i want to continue to talk about tuning.
the software cannot go to open loop properly whenever u want. ive tried. open loop happens at 4700, no if ands or butts. yes fuel targets can switch over, and ignition timing, cam timing will go open loop if u zero out the open loop,closed loop transition maps from whatever rpm u want, but the fuel pressure will still be at 520 or whatever it is. doubles after 4700. however, when u do zero out those maps, the car will stay in open loop until u go below the rpm u set after the initial time u go over 4700. more chance for knock/pre-ignition on the initial rev-up. good and bad. on initial revup in whatever gear, ur gonna be running the same closed loop fuel pressure, with increased cam, ignition timing, and fuel target of the open loop. but when ur racing, ull be in open loop above ur set rpm. the good is, if u want to run open loop all the time, then just zero them all out at zero and ull be running high fuel pressure all the time, and get less than half ur tank in mileage. but would be good in a pure track setup so u can run more timing safely.

other than that, doesnt make too much diff as u can play around with the closed loop settings anyway (fuel, ignition, and vvti).

as for what the diff maps do. the low det maps are what the car uses until alot of knock is detected, then it switches over to the high det maps to protect the engine which have less aggressive timing etc. the fuel maps for the most part are just targets. so it makes it extremely easy to change it to whatever ur specific car needs.

the maps are also engine load v rpm based. so when u put the pedal to the metal! u get 75-100% engine load, so that is where most of ur changes need to be. the rest can be left alone for cruising and dd aside from smoothening out the tip-in.

as for the 2.5l specific. 12.7-12.9 afr for best powa in the top ranges. if u want specific vvti and ignition timing figures, private msg me here or on the fb group.

@ dynotronics, when selling the mentioned map, would it be a stock, or a modified one? and would the user be able to see what changes u made?

stock maps are online for free fyi.
there are enough knowledgeable peps on the software now. all that needs to be done is to share dataloggs, ask questions, datalog some more. :D
i am willing to share what ive learned to further the platform. take it with ur own grain of salt and try it out for urselves. i know ive missed alot more, but lets continue the convo on tuning.

·
Registered
504 Posts
@ dynotronics, when selling the mentioned map, would it be a stock, or a modified one? and would the user be able to see what changes u made?

I know this is a dumb question, but why would we sell a stock file? All of our files are written per customer/car/situation

And no, all of our files are locked, unless its a simple starter file. And since quite a few of the tables we change in a custom set up are un defined in the personal, or even the pro software, you would not be able to see them anyway.

And on your open loop question; the ecus all have various delays in them for CL to OL transition. There are several things that have to happen, and in a particular order for the car to achieve OL status. Notice in the attached pic that this 2.5 go's into ol the instant the throttle is opened past the threshold.

One other tidbit for you to ponder; the stock WRAF( wide ratio air fuel sensor) is not very accurate. In fact we normally see differences of .5-1.5 points +/- to true Lambda.

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Love this, was looking to take the next step performance wise on my mazda and wanted to tune but had no idea on where to start and this helped a lot.

color0 if you have the links for the vids would be much appreciated if you could post them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.