2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum but I've spent a bit reading. I currently drive a 2004 Mazda6 S with about 201,000 miles. I'm looking to upgrade in the next couple months to a 2010-2013 Mazda3 Hatchback. (I love this body style and features) What kind of issues are there with these vehicles?

I found 2 that I really like. One is a 2012 with 52k miles but it has a Rebuilt title. The dealer said it was cosmetic damage from a minor accident and showed me pictures of the passenger door and hood prior to the repairs. I haven't pulled the Carfax yet (don't want to pay $40 before I even test drive it) and the other is a 2010 with about 49K miles. (I have no other information on the second vehicle, it was only listed for sale today)

Has anyone on here bough a vehicle that has been rebuilt? What kind of red flags should I look for when test driving or looking at the Carfax? (I'll include links to the dealer's website)

2012- 2012 Mazda Mazda3 5dr HB Auto i Touring - Inventory | BBS AUTO SALES | Auto dealership in FORT MILL, North Carolina

2010- 2010 Mazda Mazda3 5dr HB Auto s Sport - Inventory | BBS AUTO SALES | Auto dealership in FORT MILL, North Carolina

Thank you!!

·
skyactiv
533 Posts
I ran the first one through motosnoop and it looks like the accident wasn't reported. if it was enough damage to total it I woudn't consider it a minor accident.

The second one has the front bumper from a 2012-2013. Either they really wanted to swap bumpers to the newer style or they're trying to hide damage. Vin came up clean as well but that doesn't necessarily mean it's never been in a wreck.

Personally I wouldn't get either of them. If you can, I would definitely hold out for one with a skyactiv engine.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Yea that 2010 isn't a 2010. Highly unlikely that someone would have swapped front bumpers because they would have needed to get the fog lights as well since mazda changed those too. Id get the "2010" one though because less miles and it's fully loaded (bose, push start, Sun roof).

Though I would get the 2010 one, it seems to be priced waaaaaaay too low so I'd be wary. Ones in that condition here would run about $14-15k so seeing them for only 8 makes it seem like something else is wrong.

The other looks to be base model.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
Oh and you're better off sticking with the 2.5 engine vs skyactiv engine unless you get the 2014+ skyactiv. 2.5 has more power with pretty decent fuel economy. The sky engine is just crap unless all you care about is only mpg

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wanted to stick with the 2.5L because I'm already going from the V6 with 220hp to a 4 cyl and I don't want to lose too much power. As far as difference in the options, I don't mind not having push button start and navigation. The only other one I've found in my price range is a 2010 with 106K miles and it has a clean title. Thank you for your replies!

·
skyactiv
533 Posts
the vin on the "2010" shows as 2010 so they definitely swapped over fogs and the bumper.

personally, i disagree with hawaiian.monzta. i've been very satisfied with my little 2.0. there's only a 12 hp and 5 combined mpg difference between the 2.5 and 2.0 sky. I'd look for cleaner versions of both and drive them to see what suits you best. good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts