2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Exclusive: Mazda's new engine boosts fuel efficiency by 30%- Nikkei Asian Review

Mazda plans to incorporate the new engine in 2018 in the new Mazda3, dubbed Axela in Japan, which will undergo its first overhaul in five years. The engine then will be adopted gradually by other models. The automaker positions the engine as the second generation of its Skyactiv suite of environmentally friendly technologies, which were introduced in 2011.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Japanese automaker Mazda Motor will introduce a new engine at the end of 2018 that offers 30% better fuel efficiency by using pressure, not spark plugs, to ignite fuel. This will be the first practical application of the technology, called homogeneous charge compression ignition.
wikipedia: homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI)

HCCI combines characteristics of conventional gasoline engine and diesel engines. HCCI injects fuel during the intake stroke. However, rather than using an electric discharge (spark) to ignite a portion of the mixture, HCCI raises density and temperature by compression until the entire mixture reacts spontaneously. Controlling HCCI requires microprocessor control and physical understanding of the ignition process. HCCI designs achieve gasoline engine-like emissions with diesel engine-like efficiency.

·
Registered
671 Posts
This is amazing. If I've done my arithmetic right, 30 km per liter equates to 70 mpg. WOW.

I wonder what size engine they are estimating will achieve such economy if this is supposed to be a 30% increase in efficiency.

I hope Mazda pulls it off. It sounds bigger than the development of the rotary engine on a commercially successful basis, which only Mazda was able to do.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I wonder if the all-new Mazda3 will be in the US at the end of 2018 as a 2019 model.
Not sure if it makes sense to ramp up a completely new engine design/architecture with their highest volume selling model. Might make more sense to roll out on something like the Mazda2 first and work out the kinks and bugs.

This is amazing. If I've done my arithmetic right, 30 km per liter equates to 70 mpg. WOW.
That's definitely not the 2.0L or 2.5L engines. Probably their smallest engine options which I think today is 1.5L, but to achieve 70mpg I'm guessing that will get downsized to 1.1-1.2L or something like that.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Not sure if it makes sense to ramp up a completely new engine design/architecture with their highest volume selling model. Might make more sense to roll out on something like the Mazda2 first and work out the kinks and bugs.

That's definitely not the 2.0L or 2.5L engines. Probably their smallest engine options which I think today is 1.5L, but to achieve 70mpg I'm guessing that will get downsized to 1.1-1.2L or something like that.
Please come to the iA :[

·
Registered
385 Posts

I wonder what size engine they are estimating will achieve such economy if this is supposed to be a 30% increase in efficiency.

I hope Mazda pulls it off. It sounds bigger than the development of the rotary engine on a commercially successful basis, which only Mazda was able to do.
where you live, how's ur gas so cheap

·
Registered
671 Posts
I live in the USA, and I've been buying gasoline at about $2 per gallon for quite a while now. My fuel cost for the 21,000 miles I've driven my 2015 Mazda3 is at $0.045 per mile, according to the Fuelly site data they produce for me.

The cost of fuel in the US is relatively low compared to many parts of the world because the US is a leading producer of energy and has developed new ways to produce more fuel on a relatively economical basis. Combined with that, the taxation on fuel is not nearly as high as it is in many countries, especially compared to Europe and the UK.

It's a good thing too, because the US is so spread out that many people commute long distances to and from work and play.

I suspect, however, fuel taxes will be going up in the future in order to pay for needed rebuilding of old highways and bridges and building new ones due to anticipated growth.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I hope Mazda iron out all the problems before release and not rely on their customers to act as guinea pigs for this new engine technology. I also wonder what the engine noise will be like e.g. diesel engines are prone to clatter due to the high compression ratio.

·
The Adventure Mazda
152 Posts
If Mazda comes out with this I really hope that real world driving yields great results. It would completely set it apart in the compact market. It kind of already is at the top, but sales of the Mazda 3 are still meh. I'd love to see this car compete a little better, and I think an engine like this could do that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts