2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 613 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone help me on this?
I bought MZ3 BM in Thailand and there is no backup camera attached.
Therefore, one of my friend went to Japan and grab one of it, but the problem is after open the rare lid the connector was not there.
Although, I got some information from my friend in Mazda Thailand, the wire are in there but I need to know which wire is the right one.

Thus, could anyone take off the lid and take a photo of the wire color and the connector for me please.

Thank you. :001_smile:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Therefore, one of my friend went to Japan and grab one of it, but the problem is after open the rare lid the connector was not there.
Although, I got some information from my friend in Mazda Thailand, the wire are in there but I need to know which wire is the right one.

Thus, could anyone take off the lid and take a photo of the wire color and the connector for me please.

Hello Myfishiiz,

I am in a similar situation and unfortunately cannot help you. A while ago I posted exactly the same request here, however, it was not responded by anyone and the post remained unanswered.

If you could help me posting pictures of the camera, especially the model number and the type of connector with some detailed pictures, it can help me find the connector in the back of the car using Mazda´s diagrams.

What model do you have? Sedan or Hatchback?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,791 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts

Hi. Is your car a hatchback or sedan? Also, are you sure the camera you got is the OEM one? This is very important because on the Mazda 3 the camera needs a 6 Vdc power supply feed. If it is indeed an OEM camera, the installation is somewhat simple even if you don't have the harness.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello Myfishiiz,

I am in a similar situation and unfortunately cannot help you. A while ago I posted exactly the same request here, however, it was not responded by anyone and the post remained unanswered.

If you could help me posting pictures of the camera, especially the model number and the type of connector with some detailed pictures, it can help me find the connector in the back of the car using Mazda´s diagrams.

What model do you have? Sedan or Hatchback?

Thanks
Kraehe. The mexican Hatchback has another drawback: the panel where the camera goes is not the right one to be able to install an OEM camera. You would have to make a cut on the plastic to be able to install it and I'm almost sure that the square where the OEM camera snaps into (the metal part, not the plastic trim) does not exist also.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Kraehe. The mexican Hatchback has another drawback: the panel where the camera goes is not the right one to be able to install an OEM camera. You would have to make a cut on the plastic to be able to install it and I'm almost sure that the square where the OEM camera snaps into (the metal part, not the plastic trim) does not exist also.
Here the backup camera model.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's from Mazda 3 Thailand forum for sedan M3, not yet install it. Figuring out how to enable backup camera on Infotainment screen also it not plug and play for me since my car does not pre-install with backup camera wiring.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hello.

Adding a camera is not that hard. If your car did not come with a camera this is what you have to know:

The bad news: the connector and harness is not installed.

The good news: a connection point is relatively close, so all you have to do is build your own harness.

Now. The OEM camera works with 6 VDC. And almost all aftermarket cameras need a 12 VDC input to work. What I did is find a camera that can work @ 6V. I found this one. It is intended for a Mitsu Outlander. It is not OEM, it is also a chinese aftermarket but works from 5-15 VDC.

The connector that you have to plug this thing into is C-16. Here's an image of its location on both the HB and sedan.

And this is a detailed view of the connector for both sedan and HB.

Connector C-16

The pins you are interested in are (right side portion on the image from left to right on the HB): W R B # (White Red Black and Gray). On the sedan: # B R W. (image is from a HB)

The pinout is:

White: 6VDC
Red: Camera ground
Black: Camera signal (the yellow wire from the camera)
Dark gray: 6 VDC Ground

That's it. With that information, all you need to do is: disconnect the negative battery terminal, install your camera, reconnect the battery and voila. The following image is a quick test I did on my car, the camera was not mounted properly.

I'm pretty sure a camera from a CX-5 or Mazda 6 would work also. You just have to retrofit it propery using the above info.

Good luck!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Thanks Quelonio! :thumbup 1:

Now, my Mazda is factory equipped with parking sensors front en back. These sensors also uses the infotainment screen. Is there no conflict possible between both systems?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anybody have recommendation to what camera to use? Is a 6v camera nessesary or can it be used with a 12v with step-down converter. The electronics seems easy enough, bit what about fitting the camera in the trunk - pics?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Does anybody have recommendation to what camera to use? Is a 6v camera nessesary or can it be used with a 12v with step-down converter. The electronics seems easy enough, bit what about fitting the camera in the trunk - pics?
The problem is that the Infotainment needs to have signal from the camera at the time of startup, so you can't use the 12V from the reverse lights since you only get that power when reversing. There's a solution involving a relay and I saw a guy in russia who used a 6V-12V upconverter. That's why using a lower voltage camera is the best way to do this mod.

Edit: I used one like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Car-Rear-View-Camera-for-Mitsubishi-Outlander-Backup-Parking-Reversing-Cam-/251429890671?pt=Car_Audio_Video&hash=item3a8a63aa6f&vxp=mtr

The specs state 12VDC, but someone told me it is in fact a 5-15VDC camera. I can't give you a 100% chance that it will work @6VDC but the odds are high and it is not expensive.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Thanks Quelonio! :thumbup 1:

Now, my Mazda is factory equipped with parking sensors front en back. These sensors also uses the infotainment screen. Is there no conflict possible between both systems?
If your sensors work as seen at the 00:15s mark on the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2Of6low6Y

My guess is that they would work together with the camera as seen in that same video at the 00:30s mark.

I'm just speculating, of course. Can't be sure. But given the fact that all the OEM camera feeds to the infotainment is a plain analog video signal.... I'd say you would have the functionality of that video... :w00t 1:

·
Registered
4 Posts
The problem is that the Infotainment needs to have signal from the camera at the time of startup, so you can't use the 12V from the reverse lights since you only get that power when reversing. There's a solution involving a relay and I saw a guy in russia who used a 6V-12V upconverter. That's why using a lower voltage camera is the best way to do this mod.

Edit: I used one like this Car Rear View Camera for Mitsubishi Outlander Backup Parking Reversing Cam | eBay

The specs state 12VDC, but someone told me it is in fact a 5-15VDC camera. I can't give you a 100% chance that it will work @6VDC but the odds are high and it is not expensive.
Thanks.
Do you have any pictures of the finished installation?

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your sensors work as seen at the 00:15s mark on the following video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ep2Of6low6Y

My guess is that they would work together with the camera as seen in that same video at the 00:30s mark.

I'm just speculating, of course. Can't be sure. But given the fact that all the OEM camera feeds to the infotainment is a plain analog video signal.... I'd say you would have the functionality of that video... :w00t 1:
Great! The system on my car is a bit different, on the ITC like the one seen here:

But just maybe it's setup so that it can work together when fitted with a camera. Thanks for the video link!

·
Registered
107 Posts
I was just in my Mazda dealer today and apparently there is now an official accessory for the UK/Ireland Mazda 3.

PN: BHN1-67-RC0A + a wiring loom. The parts were approx €200 + €230 fitting.

This not the same camera as the one photoed by Zaki
Pav99, do you have it or seen it? Regarding the loom, is any part of it already installed on a UK/IE spec Mazda 3 (e.g. plugs into tailgate area)? Or is the provided loom entirely from front to rear? TIA

Reactions: xiin
1 - 20 of 613 Posts