2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My passenger side fog light stopped working. It wasn't the bulb. Took it to the dealership pre-covid and they said it was the 'short cord/wire' (I don't have the paperwork handy). They said it looked like it was chewed through. I have a $100 deductible to pay to have it replaced - is this something I can do? While I am comfortable working on my car, I've not really had electrical issues like this. Can i repair this myself?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can repair anything yourself if you want to put in the effort. I once rebuilt a differential from a RWD car with hand tools in a garden shed.

Sounds like some wiring is broken or possibly the connector. You'll have to get at it and see if you can find where the damage is. Cutting out the broken wire and soldering in new stuff isn't a bad idea if you do it right. Same wire gauge, shrink wrap the solder joints.

Go look in the DIY subforum. There's a factory service manual you can download. It'll have the info you need to get started.

·
Super Moderator
5,468 Posts
If you know where the break is and can easily access it, its quite easy to fix. Wire cutters / stripper, a connector, some shrink tube to seal it up, should take about 10 minutes if you know how.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts