2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

I am new to FORScan and am trying to determine if my BSM-R (Blind Spot Monitoring Sensor – Right) is bad and how to replace / recalibrate it. I have hit a wall on what I can research online. Any help / insight is appreciated!

Some Background:
My car was hit while parked on the street a few months ago. The bodywork was taken care of but now the “BSM OFF” light is flashing. Having done some Googling and reading up on the Mazda service procedure for troubleshooting the BSM (Blind Spot Monitor) modules I took the rear bumper off. The back-left bracket and body were still deformed from the accident (The shop neglected to repair the unseen section of the car… sigh). I straightened out the section of body the sensor mounts to and bent the bracket back into shape. Everything is pointing where it should. I was hoping the system would clear itself but it hasn’t.

Troubleshooting:
I have since purchased an OBDlink MX reader and fired up FORScan. I see the RVM (Rear Vehicle Monitoring) and BSMR (Blind Spot Monitoring – Right) modules but no BSML. Per the wiring diagram the BSMR module is connected in series with the BSML module. From what I can tell the BSML is acting as the host so perhaps the RVM is the BSML (need to verify this). Furthermore, when I try to swap BSMR module with the BSML module neither the RVM or BSMR show up anymore in FORScan.

The DTC’s in FORScan reveal the following:
RVM: U3000. Will post exact readout tomorrow.
BSMR: No error. Will post exact readout tomorrow.

Initial Conclusions:
1. The wire harness could be bad, but unlikely since the BSMR is showing up and is hooked up in series to BSML in the wiring diagram.
2. The RADAR portion of the BSML module is bad but the CAN bus and other electronics in it are OK.
3. The BSML is showing up as RVM since it is the host? The module just needs to be calibrated.

The Rub:
The quote from the dealership is $1,250 to repair / replace and recalibrate the system. I would rather do the repair myself but have not been able to:
1. Verify the root cause for the BSM OFF failure (I have 3 educated guesses above)
2. Determine if I need to reprogram the BSML module and how to do this (I think I need the extended license for FORScan)
3. Whether I can perform the calibration procedure myself (calibration target from Mazda is $270) or if I must have the dealership do it (~$300 / calibration of the system). I would prefer to recalibrate myself as I could perform the procedure again if needed.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated! This is my first experience with FORScan, OBD2 adapters, and car systems.

NOTE: I have posted on FORScan's forums as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
if the repair after the collision didn't include the sensor, i would approach your insurer and demand that the initial repair was incomplete and get the sensor repaired through them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fair point! The insurance company has cut me a check for the repair. However I would rather learn something new and pocket the cash for the repair (The dealership charges $175 an hour!). Anyways, I have determined the issue is with the Left BSMR module. The error code indicates it needs to be recalibrated. There is a recall out for the BSMR modules in my car for the particular error code that is being presented. So either it is an issue with the calibration or the module is bad.

If I can recalibrate the module with FORScan I can determine whether or not this is the case. Has anyone done recalibrated a BSM module before with FORScan?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks BrotherAli for the reply!

I ended up bringing my car to the dealer. They are replacing and recalibrating the sensor. I should be picking it up this Friday.

Did you have to re-calibrate the module and if so how did you do it?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks BrotherAli for the reply!

I ended up bringing my car to the dealer. They are replacing and recalibrating the sensor. I should be picking it up this Friday.

Did you have to re-calibrate the module and if so how did you do it?
Re-calibrating the modules requires using the mazda obd tool. I dont have access to it so I never did it, no problems to report it works perfectly; sorry should have mentioned that.

I think i paid like 120-150

1 - 6 of 6 Posts