2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Those plots seem to be measured at the crank, not the wheels.
A tune will sometimes move the power band up the scale a bit, so you get a bit less on the bottom end and more at the top. What is more important is the area under torque curve, and not so much the numbers. For example, a flat torque curve that provides 140 ft/lbs or so from 2500 to over 6000 rpm is far better than a curve starts at 88 ft/[email protected], peaks at [email protected] then drops right off to 92 ft/[email protected]

If you got a number from OVT, you are in line right now. This service isn't like walking into MacDonalds and ordering lunch. Rafael is one guy and is busy, and you are not the only person waiting. Sometimes it takes time to catch up on emails.
I've never heard anything about a tune being rejected by the ECU. I'm not even sure what that means. If a tune doesn't work that just means its not done right. I'd wait for Rafael to get his opinion on this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, now that definitely makes sense to me, I think I understood what you wanted to show me with those graphs and keeping in mind what you explained in the other posts I believe that for my purposes something along the lines of the lower powered map would fit better instead of looking for raw power alone.

Yes, I understand what you mean about OVTuned and maybe I just put down the sentence badly as I simply meant to say that I was worried that the mailing system would give me too many problems should I decide to go on with the remote tuning, which is a delicate and costly process, and that put me a little off..

Maybe about what DRTuned wrote me there is some mistake on my part as well, so I rephrase: they told me that it is not to be 100% assumed that the ECU does allow for them to use the data and tables from the 165hp models, and that there is no way to know beforehand (I sent them my VIN trying to be helpful) without seeing the actual file from the ECU itself. That in fact is in contrast with info I've received from three tuners here in Italy.. I'll report back what OVTuned thinks about this matter when I will get a chance to ask, if they tell me something interesting!

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
I think once you get started with OVT it won't be nearly as bad. It takes a few emails back and forth etc to get it done and can take a week or two sometimes. However, that is the price you pay to have it done right.
OVT has said in the past that the lower powered Euro engines are not really any different, its the state of tune that restricts the power. Remove those restrictions and its no different than the others. It sounds as if DRTuned doesn't have the experience with the restricted motors thats needed to do this. If they don't know if its possible or not, I would not want to be their first "experiment" with this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello! Unfortunately from today a whole month has passed since I first contacted OVTune but they never gave me a reply, if only to confirm that it is possible to carry out the job on my car. I've just received a ticket number from an automated mail service and nothing more. I've checked my spam every week as I'm aware of the problems of Zendesk vs GMail but nothing there as well. I wanted to ask you guys if you know of some other way to get in touch with OVTune, or if there is another alternative company to them: to me this situation sounds more and more like there is a communication problem somewhere... Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,269 Posts
Not many options out there, which is why Rafael is so busy. He's also really good at his job.

BBR Tuning from Britain or DR Tuning (i think that's their name) from Canada. Haven't heard much about results from either company though.
CK

Reactions: IvanPro

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello @CerealKiller. I already know about both BBR-GTi and DRTuned but still I thank you for your suggestions. What was your experience with OVTune/Rafael, did they take so long to give you their first reply? If that's the case and my situation is normal I guess I will wait "in line" a little longer and see if something happens, before trying to email them for the last time and eventually give up..

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,269 Posts
It took 2-3 weeks and that was when they offered tunes for Mazda on a non-case-by-case basis.

It's okay to follow up politely with them.

It's too bad they don't offer generic tune packages for set models/years and octanes. Let people get a taste while Rafael works on customizing earlier tune rquests. People could also log data and get things ready for when it's their turn. [/brainstorming]
CK

Reactions: IvanPro

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
Hello @CerealKiller. I already know about both BBR-GTi and DRTuned but still I thank you for your suggestions. What was your experience with OVTune/Rafael, did they take so long to give you their first reply? If that's the case and my situation is normal I guess I will wait "in line" a little longer and see if something happens, before trying to email them for the last time and eventually give up..
Its not unusual at all. OVT is busy, and I would imagine there is a fairly long line for service. Don't be afraid to ask again as there have been issues with the zendesk system. Just don't overwhelm them with emails though if you know what I mean....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Again thank you guys, I've just sent another email asking if they can at least confirm if they can tune my car (no, I'm not going to spam them, don't worry ahah!), I can wait patiently as much as needed if I know that they can do the job. In the meantime maybe I would purchase one or two stickers from their merchandise store.. :p

Yes @CerealKiller that could be a great idea, if they could implement it that would be nice.. It could be kind of like what VersaTuner already does with their system for starters, and then you make some logs in order to get a custom tailored tune just as you said!

·
Super Moderator
5,478 Posts
OVT did at one time have canned tunes that came on a tablet. This didn't last too long as a lot of folks thought they would be able to get the full tune service for the price of the canned tune, ie a bunch of complaining..... It went away when Matt stopped doing Mazda and Rafael took over.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts