2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
well the torque hasnt changed much ... 210 --> 220 so i dont believe the gearbox will go thrtough much more stress.
i believe that mechanically both G120 and g165 are identical to the last screw - it would be more expensive to make 2 different cars rather than simply different software .
Ive done it gents - yesterday with a certified Quantum Tuning - Chip Tuning | Engine Remapping | ECU Programming | DPF Solution dealer

the car is now alive and aggressive after 4500rpm , the torque is also a tad higher and consistent after the 4400rpm point

mechanic said that after 3 days i may get more power due to adaptation

ive also got 30 day moneyback guarantee and return to standard map without extra cost - after that there is a small fee

very happy with my new engine ... and only 2500km with proper horsepower now :)
What sort of mpg you getting now

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
261 Posts
@arathol ....my tunes were remapped with OVT , and I have saved file my original ecu settings. If i re install OEM ecu setting can someone tell that the ecu was remapped?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Yes Ofc they can.

They can see everything : when and what have been changed by which device... It's saved on a. Csv file.
But to do that they really need to want to (it's on a sub, sub menu).

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
@arathol ....my tunes were remapped with OVT , and I have saved file my original ecu settings. If i re install OEM ecu setting can someone tell that the ecu was remapped?
Yup, theres are indicators that the dealer can see, counters, file version numbers, maybe a log that records hours since last reflash....I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Mazda is very much aware of the tuning thats being done, and more than likely reads this and other Mazda forums to keep up with whats new in the aftermarket performance world. Chances are unless your motor explodes they won't even.

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
261 Posts
Yup, theres are indicators that the dealer can see, counters, file version numbers, maybe a log that records hours since last reflash....I wouldn't worry about it too much though. Mazda is very much aware of the tuning thats being done, and more than likely reads this and other Mazda forums to keep up with whats new in the aftermarket performance world. Chances are unless your motor explodes they won't even.
Thanks !... its not a worry for me.. Ive been off warranty long time. I figured it would be good to know mazda limitations if someone was considering remapping and where mazda would dig deep ....

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
261 Posts
Hello @pekker! Would you update us about how well are you doing with your remapped engine after 2 years of use? Any issues?
Hey Ivan , I have been re mapped with a n OV tune for 3 years ... no issues (I have a non skyactiv engine)

Reactions: IvanPro

·
Registered
10 Posts
@JoeMini, @arathol, thank you very much for your feedback! being based in Italy I was curious about @pekker because he did the remap with Quantum Tuning UK and there is a tuner near my location which uses that software.. I know about OVT having read of them here and I know that they don't do Mazdas anymore (but DRTuned kind of "replaced" them). I was looking at VersaTuner as well, I've suggested them via their Facebook page to take a look at the Skyactiv 2.0 120hp petrol but they still work with diesel engines only..

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
What do you mean by OVT doesn't do tuning anymore? I was just messaging with Rafael the other day about tunes....

·
Registered
10 Posts
from what I read here and there I understood that they now focus on Toyotas, giving Mazda customers technical support only.. am I mistaken?

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
261 Posts
Reactions: IvanPro

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello! Thanks for the heads up to both! In the meantime I've read about OVT and related topics and I will keep in mind that contacting them is a nice and guaranteed possibility.

As you can imagine I'm in the market for a remap of my 2.0 120bhp BM Mazda3, and warranty issues aside (just to stay a little on-topic LOL) being this a 7 year old car and having made extensive research about it (I've found lots of valuable info both here and in German forums, I was really worried about the safety of this operation but now I'm convinced) I'm finally ready to jump. As of now I'm eyeing a local renowned tuner who has offered me a tuning with dyno test before and after the tune included.

I've seen your posts in other topics and I believe you are very experienced about this topic so I ask you for a suggestion: I'm planning to leave the car mechanically stock (no CAT, pipes, air filter) and bringing it to the tuner right after annual service, I will try to ask him to bring the car to 180bhp (we have 95 octane as standard here, and I occasionally fill with 100+ octane in Slovenia), remove the ridiculous throttle limit that's killing the horsepower and acceleration, and maybe move some torque to low rpms if possible as I don't really like to push high revs in the engine AND I feel some more "meat" in the lower band would help the car moving more smoothly at low revs in 1°/2° gears. Am I, in your experience, asking for the impossible? It's my first time tuning a car and I want to be prepared when I meet the tuner to discuss the tune, so If you feel I need some correction or if you recommend asking something else it would be much appreciated! Before I make any decision I will contact OVT and let you know!

·
Registered
2012 Mazda 3 GX MT5
261 Posts
Hello Ivan @IvanPro
Does your local renowned tuner also do remapping ecu remotely?

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
180 bhp might be a bit of a stretch without intake and exhaust. Its been done here with 93 octane fuel, but the fuel ratings in the US are different. Your 95 octane is about the same as our 91 octane. Other than that you should be able to bring your 120hp 2.0L engine to the same power levels as any other 2.0L found elsewhere in the world and have it tuned in similar fashion.
You won't be able to take any sort of advantage of any tune if you don't learn to use the full rpm band. The engine doesn't really get into the best part of the power band until you get above 4k rpm. You can probably have it tuned for better low end power but you'll never reach 180 at the crank. The throttle can be recalibrated easily and full operation restored.
I would also question this tuner as to his experience with the Skyactiv motors. They are not the same as most other engines and its far more complicated to tune them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you for your insight! Do you think that maybe a panel filter could help me get near the target or it's out of question as I'd have at least to rebuild the whole intake?

Of course I was talking about normal daily drive, I know that I have to push the engine to get the performance out of it (I think I read that the 2.0 reaches its optimum at about 5800/6000rpm) and I'm certainly not afraid of pushing it to get the thing going when needed ahah! In fact this is the exact reason I'm going to remap: I'm tired of hitting the "4000rpm wall"...

You did plant the seed of doubt with regard to the tuner experience with Skyactiv engines .. in which way you mean they are different/complicated? Maybe you are thinking about the compression ratio? All this makes me consider in a stronger way the OVT route as they for sure are more experienced than my tuner (in Italy Mazdas are a market niche and fairly uncommon). I've sent them a mail at the address provided by @JoeMini... let's see if they send a reply!

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Thank you for your insight! Do you think that maybe a panel filter could help me get near the target or it's out of question as I'd have at least to rebuild the whole intake?
The OEM filter is pretty much the same as the aftermarket stuff, not much to be gained there.
By intake I mean a run of the mill cold air intake, the sort that everybody sells. Its a pipe and a pod filter. It does add a few hp, not a lot, when tuning.

Of course I was talking about normal daily drive, I know that I have to push the engine to get the performance out of it (I think I read that the 2.0 reaches its optimum at about 5800/6000rpm) and I'm certainly not afraid of pushing it to get the thing going when needed ahah! In fact this is the exact reason I'm going to remap: I'm tired of hitting the "4000rpm wall"...
Here are a couple post tune dyno graphs created by using the data logging from two different tuning solutons-

You did plant the seed of doubt with regard to the tuner experience with Skyactiv engines .. in which way you mean they are different/complicated? Maybe you are thinking about the compression ratio? All this makes me consider in a stronger way the OVT route as they for sure are more experienced than my tuner (in Italy Mazdas are a market niche and fairly uncommon). I've sent them a mail at the address provided by @JoeMini... let's see if they send a reply!
The ECU is locked and you need a license for the software to access it. If the tuner doesn't have the right software, he won't be able to do anything at all.
Tuning the SA-G is quite difficult, and few tuners have really figured out how it works. Even if a tuner is willing to shell out the $800 for the Epifan software license, if he has no experience with the Mazda ECU chances are he won't be able to figure it out any time soon...I'd ask a lot of questions before I let somebody without a proven track record tuning the Skyactiv motor start messing around with the engine management systems.

Send your questions to Rafael at OVT Philippines
[email protected]
Don't worry if Rafael doesn't answer right away. He is quite busy and sometimes it takes a few days. He will get back to you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hello @arathol, I'm back to thank you for the info in your last post, which prompted me to investigate further the topic. Unfortunately Rafael never replied back to me (a whole week has passed and I know they received my email as I have got a Support Request Number via Zendesk; I've double checked spam because of the possible GMail issues too... to me this is not a good start to be honest) but out of curiosity in the meantime I've asked for info at DRTuned and they've been very responsive and their explanations thorough. Sadly, they claim that there is a possibility my ECU "rejects" the 165hp version map and that, from what I understand, would leave them to work on the stock 120hp map. I fear results below my expectations (maybe that's the reason they don't make guarantees of the improvements in their website) and that the effort in the end would prove to be unworthy.

All this aside I have another doubt from reading the dynos you posted: from what I can see they differ in a strange way (to me) from the only graphs I've seen before, which are official from Mazda. For example taking a look at the power output in your graphs at 2500rpm it is 50 or 60-something hp, while the official Mazda graphs claim something around 50kw which would round about 68hp. I would expect the tuned graphs to show higher power instead of less power.. am I missing something? Maybe the difference sits between measurement at crank/wheel? Is there something I don't know or understand on this topic? Thanks for your help!
120ps5geuq92dj0.jpg
165psp9ir6ylfvx.jpg

21 - 40 of 43 Posts