2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my mazda is now 2 months old , 2018 model , 2.0L giving out 120BHP. Dealership gives me 5 years warranty for this new car
Its clear to me that the engine is undertuned from 165bhp - i can feel that this engine can give so much more- i can tell from the 210NM torque- same as the bmw i used to have which game 177bhp.

i then found my local Quantum Tuning Dealer who can remap the ECU and take me to 180bhp which is great.

assume i proceed with the ecu remap with a professional tuner who knows his job reallly well:
q1: will it damage my engine in any way?
q2: will the mazda dealership find out ? and if they do , will that void my warranty?

do i really have to wait 5 years to get the extra BHP that my engine has to offer?

thanks for you help

Andreas

ps: apologies if this topic has been discussed previously - couldnt find it

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
assume i proceed with the ecu remap with a professional tuner who knows his job reallly well:
q1: will it damage my engine in any way?
q2: will the mazda dealership find out ? and if they do , will that void my warranty?
1- No, it won't damage the engine as long as the tune is done properly

2- Yes, if the dealer looks at the ECU they will absolutely be able to tell its been tampered with. As to voiding the warranty, that depends on where you are, the warranty regulations where you live and your warranty terms .

·
Banned
842 Posts
1) I recommend to read all the disclaimers from the suppliers or Calibrators. You may find a little different information regarding how they would answer this?
From one CALIBRATOR......
QUOTE:
"We have done everything possible to mitigate and minize any chance of failure. We have yet to receive a reported engine failure from our tuning because of this. However we cannot make any gaurantee because we do not know the condition of the vehicle we are tuning. IF we see anything "odd" in the data-logs that may imply something isn't right, we let our customers know right away."

2) pretty much ditto from the previous member and his answer. However as one Calabrator answer this question and I will use their exact answer....
QUOTE:
"In most cases no. The dealership normally does not have the tools capable of detecting these types of tunes. Unless you go to the dealer and tell them directly, there is very little chance. The dealership cannot directly void your warranty for a flash tune either."

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
As far as I know there is a flash counter that tells the dealers how many times the ECU has been reflashed and when. There is a database that the dealer system connects to that will tell the dealer if the reflash was authorized or not.

·
Banned
842 Posts
A ECU OEM re- flash does not necessarily need to be manufacture authorized. That's all I am going to say. We do them all the time and NEVER had any auto manufacture void a ECU controlled system or ECU warranty.

We again bring up for US based consumers a protection that could carry deep within its legal protection of a consumer regarding such things as what we are talking about. My friends in the legal end of US laws and marketing,manufacturing laws and yup even vehicle manufacturing coverage and warranty have giving me more then enough information for confidence to post such information as this response knowing it is at least accurate with US based consumers.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act

Not all dealership have all and complete technical tools and diagnostic equipment to be able to check all aspect of a OEM ECU. As far as I am aware of it is not a dealership service department contracted requirement with a auto manufacture? Dealership still must purchase their own equipment and also hire the best qualified people to use and do technical diagnostic that full fill the warranty requirement of the auto manufacture or they must either get a manufacture waver or send a customer to another dealership for some warranty coverage.

·
Super Moderator
5,357 Posts
Don't think for a minute that Mazda isn't aware of whats going on with tunes and such. That is the first thing they will look at if you bring in a car with a damaged motor for warranty work.
Generally, major warranty work is not really approved at the dealer level. If you cook a motor and make a warranty claim, the first thing the dealer is going to do is go through the ECU. If you reflashed the ECU, they may or may not see the reflash. When the claim is processed by Mazda, usually a tech or engineer will be sent to do an inspection, and they will see any signs of unauthorized tampering of the ECU. Once that happens, game over, no soup for you. If the car shows one or more flash events and there is no record of a reflash by an authorized Mazda service center, chances are the claim will be denied, the car will be flagged by the system and the warranty on the motor will be voided.
However, since the OP is in Cyprus, the way Mazda does things may be different, and the warranty rules are probably different also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't think for a minute that Mazda isn't aware of whats going on with tunes and such. That is the first thing they will look at if you bring in a car with a damaged motor for warranty work.
Generally, major warranty work is not really approved at the dealer level. If you cook a motor and make a warranty claim, the first thing the dealer is going to do is go through the ECU. If you reflashed the ECU, they may or may not see the reflash. When the claim is processed by Mazda, usually a tech or engineer will be sent to do an inspection, and they will see any signs of unauthorized tampering of the ECU. Once that happens, game over, no soup for you. If the car shows one or more flash events and there is no record of a reflash by an authorized Mazda service center, chances are the claim will be denied, the car will be flagged by the system and the warranty on the motor will be voided.
However, since the OP is in Cyprus, the way Mazda does things may be different, and the warranty rules are probably different also.

i believe what you said is the best answer to my question - as long as everything is running smoothly everybody is happy - and once shit hits the fan they will search deeper and should they find tampering then im going to have to pay a lot of $$$$ .

i guess the right thing to do is wait a couple of years, enjoy my car as is , and maybe then i will remap the ecu.
my old GolF IV TDi had a plug and play tuning box which i used to take out before the visit to the dealers - was so convenient...

A.

·
Registered
985 Posts
5 years warranty is very precious for a "risky" gamble, in the end it's up to you, but IMHO I would wait at least 2-3 year before tuning the car.

Let the engine have some proper break-in first, enjoy your car and then check if you are actually happy the way it is or if you want more.

Cheers and enjoy your new 3! :)

·
Registered
214 Posts
how much they are charging for it?

Im looking for a reflash but I cannot find a place... heard here a OTV but they are out of business momentarily...

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
What most if not all OEM’s are doing, is transferring warranty approval from the dealership to a regional warranty approval supervisor almost always above a certain dollar amount and for suspected cases of tampering with your powertrain. In GM’s world if you blow up a motor, the first place GM is going to look is into your ECU. They will determine, as @arathol noted, how many times your ECU has been reflashed and second, on at least on Corvette, Camaros and Cadillac CTS-V’s, etc, what was the maximum power your engine developed. If say 5% above factory level, no issue, but if 20% above what the powertrain was tested to and factory developed, do not expect GM to pay for your blown motor or tranny.

Why? Because they got tired of dealer A so sells 5 pickups annually to his friend B who uses them for his construction business, wrecking powertrains on friend B’s souped up sports cars — with dealer A approval all warranty repairs.

Again as noted above, to control the cost of warranty repairs, brands now have transferred approval for certain types of warranty work to the regional warranty approval supervisor.

There is an old expression about modding a OEM vehicle, ”if you play, be prepared to pay.

Many take the chance, the old “the aftermarket manufacturer told me the dealer could never tell I did my mod,” or another one, “I will not have any problems on my car.”

Bottom line, what is your level of risk? For me, and I do over 35 mods on every one of my cars, I always consider and make informed choices before I do a mod. I still take changes, for example on my C7 Z06 I changing the factory shifter to an aftermarket one, but I have not, nor will I, have the best tuner in America “enhance” my motor — for if it were to later grenade, a new Z06 motor installed is $30,000.

What is your level of risk? What is your budget for unexpected negative consequences for each of your mods?

·
Registered
562 Posts
What most if not all OEM’s are doing, is transferring warranty approval from the dealership to a regional warranty approval supervisor almost always above a certain dollar amount and for suspected cases of tampering with your powertrain. In GM’s world if you blow up a motor, the first place GM is going to look is into your ECU. They will determine, as @arathol noted, how many times your ECU has been reflashed and second, on at least on Corvette, Camaros and Cadillac CTS-V’s, etc, what was the maximum power your engine developed. If say 5% above factory level, no issue, but if 20% above what the powertrain was tested to and factory developed, do not expect GM to pay for your blown motor or tranny.

Why? Because they got tired of dealer A so sells 5 pickups annually to his friend B who uses them for his construction business, wrecking powertrains on friend B’s souped up sports cars — with dealer A approval all warranty repairs.

Again as noted above, to control the cost of warranty repairs, brands now have transferred approval for certain types of warranty work to the regional warranty approval supervisor.

There is an old expression about modding a OEM vehicle, ”if you play, be prepared to pay.

Many take the chance, the old “the aftermarket manufacturer told me the dealer could never tell I did my mod,” or another one, “I will not have any problems on my car.”

Bottom line, what is your level of risk? For me, and I do over 35 mods on every one of my cars, I always consider and make informed choices before I do a mod. I still take changes, for example on my C7 Z06 I changing the factory shifter to an aftermarket one, but I have not, nor will I, have the best tuner in America “enhance” my motor — for if it were to later grenade, a new Z06 motor installed is $30,000.

What is your level of risk? What is your budget for unexpected negative consequences for each of your mods?
I read that the engine of the Z06 vette has known issues for blowing when pushed hard and more common than one would think, but still considered an all around better car than the Ferrari...I recall the author of the article went on to say that you could replace the engine a couple of times and still be ahead vs. buying a Ferrari....of course that route is for someone with a few disposable dollars and maybe a Mazda daily driver.:laugh2:

·
Gearhead
1,841 Posts
Percentagewise the number of Z06 engine failures has been close to minuscule. However a fair criticism of the car is that with the automatic transmission, it has had too many engine systems overheating on warm/hot days on the track, and then it goes in limp/powerdown mode until its temp cool down.

I have driven mine through Death Valley on 105 degree days, in similar temps in stop and go traffic, and never had an overheating issue (though I have the manual trans).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would say, 5 years warranty is really hard to let go and its great to have specially for a daily driver car.

I don't really see any major issues with my friends tuning their ECU, perhaps any damage to the engine would rise if you push it way too hard like having it rev nearly 8k rpms after tuning but I have no experience with tuning yet so I couldn't say much.

I've spoke with my service adviser before regarding things that would affect my warranty. When I got my car it came with a 3 year/60k km bumper to bumper warranty plus free maintenance plan. They told me that the things I could switch out is my tires and battery which both have a 1 year limited warranty from the dealership. Wheels are okay and exhaust are okay too but only the muffler, any modifications to the manifold and mid pipe would void my warranty. I also asked about tuning and they say they don't always check during scheduled maintenance but if ever any problem arises with the engine they will search for possible causes and they will also check the ECU. If found that the ECU has been altered by anyway outside Mazda then they wouldn't approve the warranty claim.

Personally I would wait for a while before tuning anything with my engine. My Mazda is about 9 months old and I'm very happy with it. I suggest spending more time with your car and maybe start tuning after a couple of years or when you're confident about risking your warranty.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok guys - i went through with it yesterday with a reseller from http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/
The mechanic has years of experience and provided me with a 30 day moneyback guarantee and revert to standard map . After 30 days there will be a small fee if i wanted to go back to standard map for a few days (mazda inspection for example) and then revert to the new map afterwards.

i can feel the car become alive after 4400rpm, where as previously it would cutoff - also torque much more stable after that rpm.
i believe i got about +35bhp and this will improve after a few days because of adaptation.
i stopped thinking about warranties because this engine is capable for more (same as G165) and it was a shame that they downtuned it like that.

current milage 2500km

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok guys - i went through with it yesterday with a reseller from Quantum Tuning - Chip Tuning | Engine Remapping | ECU Programming | DPF Solution
The mechanic has years of experience and provided me with a 30 day moneyback guarantee and revert to standard map . After 30 days there will be a small fee if i wanted to go back to standard map for a few days (mazda inspection for example) and then revert to the new map afterwards.

i can feel the car become alive after 4400rpm, where as previously it would cutoff - also torque much more stable after that rpm.
i believe i got about +35bhp and this will improve after a few days because of adaptation.
i stopped thinking about warranties because this engine is capable for more (same as G165) and it was a shame that they downtuned it like that.

current milage 2500km

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ive done it gents - yesterday with a certified Quantum Tuning - Chip Tuning | Engine Remapping | ECU Programming | DPF Solution dealer

the car is now alive and aggressive after 4500rpm , the torque is also a tad higher and consistent after the 4400rpm point

mechanic said that after 3 days i may get more power due to adaptation

ive also got 30 day moneyback guarantee and return to standard map without extra cost - after that there is a small fee

very happy with my new engine ... and only 2500km with proper horsepower now :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok guys - i went through with it yesterday with a reseller from http://www.quantumtuning.co.uk/

·
Registered
7 Posts
The Engine is the one thing, but what's about the Gearbox?
As i know it is a different one in the G165. Is the G120 Gearbox ready for the higher torque?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well the torque hasnt changed much ... 210 --> 220 so i dont believe the gearbox will go thrtough much more stress.
i believe that mechanically both G120 and g165 are identical to the last screw - it would be more expensive to make 2 different cars rather than simply different software .

1 - 20 of 43 Posts