2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

Mazda USA Service You Can Trust?

5K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  maxfli81 
#1 ·
I bought my first new Mazda in October 2019. Traded my 2017 f150 super crew for a 2019 Mazda3 premium package. hatchback. Truck was pretty much trouble free but I hated the bumpy ride and grew tiresome of the size. My three has been a good car except for intermittent climate control issues, slamming the brakes on me one time, and heated seats not working properly. I expected some type of issues on a new generation vehicle and actually consider these minor. I love the car rides good, love the styling and fun to drive but the dealer and Mazda seem to lack customer service abilities. The braking issue was an earlier recall they fixed immediately, cannot duplicate the climate control issue (heat or a/c on one side won't work, once in a blue moon) and the heated seat issue(same as climate control) is also unresolved. I understand that it takes time and research to fix some intermittent problems as these but they just don't seem to care. The dealer will not return phone calls unless you want to schedule an appointment or talk to sales. All voice mails to my service advisor and the service manager go unanswered. I've called Mazda four times and they can't get the dealer to answer the phone either. Heck, even Mazda won't return my calls after promising me to do so. The best Mazda USA can do it seems is to offer to schedule an appointment with another dealer. It really disappoints me that my dealer and Mazda itself have chosen to ignore me. While I believe Mazda has built a fine car, I don't feel that I can trust them in the future to service my vehicle. This kind of service is like what I used to get from Ford in the 80's.

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes had the connected services done and have not had the issue occur since. It was suppose to fix the heated seat issue but hasn't. This is when all this started. I'd just like to know what they plan to do about it. Saw a solution on here with a tech bulletin on it but can't bring it up when nobody will talk to me. It's annoying when you push the button and the light goes on then off and no heat. Not so bad for me but the wife gets really annoyed.

#5 ·
It's happened in all modes. Finicky problem, when I tell the wife it hasn't happened in a while- it happens. Better since the update though, only happened about 4 times since the October update. Still annoying they won't work till you shut the car down and restart. Sometimes have to wait a little before restarting the car.

#6 ·
I actually started this thread because of the lack of responses from my dealer and Mazdausa. I have owned many new cars before but never have my phone calls, emails and questions gone unanswered. The only answers I seem to get is excuses from receptionists at the dealer and patronizing from Mazda USA. I shouldn't have to show my butt to get a phone call returned from either.

#7 · (Edited)
It's hard to comment on service quality, they fixed a lot of issues in the past but sometimes when I point out things I do get a response tailored for someone who isn't mechanically or electronically inclined. -_-

At the end of the day, I have to tell myself that while it seems more premium then Honda (my last car was a Honda) the service aspect is still economy car level. Not mid-tier high end. Part of it is also trying to find service advisors that personally care vs others that aren't really listening and don't want extra work. I've had better results with some employees than others at the same dealership and sometimes had to go to dealerships farther away or get another one to agree to the problem and fix it or make the first dealership fix it with the information I've gotten from others.

I had a really annoying experience where one dealership worked on the car and the work they were doing had nothing to do with the rear bumper area but they took off the bumper cover and blind spot monitor sensors for some idiotic reason. They then reinstalled the sensors backwards so that the BSM sensor was firing it's radar into the vechile instead of out. This didn't throw any error messages but the sensors pretty much never picked up vechiles and went off randomly when nothing was in my blind spot area. Twice I had to go to this dealership and tell them there was an issue but because they didn't have any error codes to look at they brushed it off. They even supposedly drove the car around said it all worked fine when it clearly doesn't. They even gave me an excuse about what I was experiencing with my blind spot monitoring was due to the forward facing camera not being able to see near sunrise and sunset. That's an insane answer when the forward facing camera has absolutely zero connection to the radar based blind spot monitoring system. After the first dealership refused to acknowledge the issue twice I took it to another one that told me within an hour that the sensors were mounted backwards and that's why I was having my issues. They then told me that they could fix it but they would have to charge for it since they weren't the ones who caused the issue and advised I go back to the first dealership and make them do it for free. So I went back to the first one and told them word for word what the second dealership said and they finally acknowledged the issue and fixed it. During this entire process I was never charged anything and was given free loaners but I had to request work schedule changes and spend several hours over 4 visits to get this issue that the first dealership caused resolved.

#8 ·
Been a while but I took the car in for service March 8th. Oil change, repair to front wheel rim and tire (bought non Mazda warranty product) and of course the heated seats still not functioning. Gave me a loaded white cx9 for loaner (nick named it Jonah) for Three Weeks. Texted back and forth with my service advisor and told, tire ordered, was out sick, and when i called the third week no one was aware of my problem because the advisor had been fired! Today, six days later, same problem heated seats would not function. I called the dealership and could not get any answer from service or administration. When I mean no answer the phone either rang or put me on hold with no pick up after fifteen minutes. Called again, chose sales and they picked up on the first ring (of course) my salesman actually put me in touch with the service manager. Have another appointment for Monday (another loaner) because they want their technician to drive it and see what happens. I have taken videos of the problem but they still act as if it's not an issue. Someone stated here that Mazda is still economy car service and they are right. My work vehicle is a 2020 Ford and I'm sorry but they beat the hell out of Mazda in the customer service realm. I love the car but from the reviews I have seen about the other local Mazda stealerships in my area they are all the same. I have called Mazda USA and they just patronize me, open a case then ignore me. Unfortunately I love the car but this constant run around, ignoring and avoidance simply has made my mind up for me, this will be my last Mazda.

#9 ·
I agree with Mazda service quality going down over the years, or maybe it has consistently stayed bad. I've actually had better service and corporate response from my Kia. As you said it seems to be with certain service writers, but you shouldn't have to win the lottery to get a good advisor. Mazda corporate takes a while to reply but both times they've been satisfactory in their replies.

#10 ·
Your lucky with Mazda corporate. I've talked to 3 different reps and two promised to call me back with an update. That was over 6 months ago and have heard nothing from anyone. Called last week and hung up after being on hold for fifteen minutes. Took car in today and service manager said one of the mechanics would drive it to try and get it to duplicate. The My Mazda app has told on them already. Hasn't moved all day.

#11 ·
Well since my last post my car sat for eight days. Service manager told me tech would drive the car home everyday to try and get the problem to duplicate. Waited one week and heard nothing. Texted the service guy and asked for an update and was told the tech was out sick but he had driven the car every day and could not duplicate the problem. I send videos of the non working seats from several different dates but they said they could not do anything unless they acted up for them. Now it's not the seats to me that's the issue, it's the lies! I don't know if they think I'm stupid or if they're that inept but my Mazda app showed my car moved the first three weeks one mile and this last eight days a total of two miles. The two miles occurred during the second day and the car never moved after that. Let the service manager know about it but he just sat there and looked spaced out. I've tried to call Mazda USA but just languish on hold. Sorry for the rant but I'm done with Mazda. Might just trade it in on a Kia K5.

#21 ·
I know this was posted a while back, I came from a Kia Optima, bought the biggest bag of garbage mazda 3 AWD HB, thank god its a lease, I am going back to Kia, Mazda cars suck, and Mazda Sucks, I already had a 2020 CX-30 bought back, after 8 weeks in the shop, the Mazda 3 is one issue after, issue, no climate control, worst AC ever, touch the throttle AC turns off, trans is clunky (auto) lane assist just quits, no warnings, engine is the worst for vibrations, car is a constant vibration, be it engine or drive line.

I would be hitting up the Better Business Bureau, and if you live in California, The Bureau of Automotive Repair, once again I will be.

Then going back to Kia.

#14 ·
Thanks. I finally got hold of Mazda USA and have an appointment with another dealer here. I filed a complaint against the dealer and going to give this a final try. Funny thing, went to pull my manual and warranty book out from under the spare tire cover and found it soaking wet and the padding under the tire soaked also. Hoping the wife just spilled something.

#15 ·
Mazda has an alarmingly poor dealer network. I swore I would never buy another Mazda after my experience with my 2014 CX-5 from Countryside Mazda outside of Chicago (which is now - surprise - CLOSED) but I love Mazda's. They are great daily drivers and all around good cars without being boring and cheap feeling like a Honda or Nissan. I was pretty damn close to buying the Corolla Hatchback, though, but the Mazda 3 had better seats and was quieter.

By the way, my Mazda 3, purchased from Oak Lawn Mazda, was one of the better dealership experiences I've had, only outclassed by McCarthy Ford Chicago (a truly amazing dealer that'll take a copy of you DL and throw you the keys to an ST for the afternoon as long as you fill it back up when you return it) but who wants to buy a new Ford anymore?

#16 ·
Ha, ha I agree! I just purchased a new Transit 250 for work and I like the dealer ok but Ford cars, eh. The service at my Ford dealer is uneven and depends on who I work with. I called the service manager there and found out who had the most experience and try to deal with them first. Two things in business I can't stand is not returning my calls and lying to me. I own my own business and if I were to do these things my business would disappear. Starting with voicemail, then email followed by texting, while pushed as convenient they seemed to have evolved into a way to ignore the customer. I see a disturbing pattern today from large companies that do these things and must have so much business that this type loss is acceptable.

#17 ·
I had a bad experience with my thermostat which after 3 visits at the dealership it's still not fixed (detailed in another topic).
For me, that experience made it to be my last Mazda car; I already got a second car from another brand and Mazda will be gone this year (before my 3y warranty expires).

Sales experience was good but service, not.

#18 ·
Well took the car to the new dealer Wednesday. At first they tried to convince me that it was linking the seats to the climate control causing the problem and I told them no it did it either way. They kept the car two days, called me today told me it was ready. "Did you fix it?" I asked, "No, we contacted Mazda and they told us this is normal operation" . So I asked "It's normal operation to go 4 hours or more without heated seats?" "Yes, the technician has printed out an operations manual for you that explains how the seats function". Fortunately I had today off from work so I picked it up, politely thanked them for their effort and left with my new four page manual. (Basically just a printout and schematic from the service manual.) They re-linked my seats to the climate control so I unlinked it and drove the car. Took about ten cycles and I finally got them to quit. Called the dealer, told them I was driving straight there and do not turn off my car till you check it. They ran the diagnostic got some code now I'm back in a loaner. My original service guy was out when this all took place, he called me an hour later to let me know "good news Our technician has managed to duplicate your problem and a part is on order. It will come from PA so it will be Thursday before you get your car". I don't know if I should be upset that they thought I was too stupid to operate heated seats or the "technician" taking credit for my work. This dealership has no waiting area for service customers and both dealers hand out loaners like candy. I walked the lot and looked at new threes and sixes. I as tempted by the 6 carbon edition but I just don't know about dealing with Mazda's service. Mazda parts ain't cheap and when my warranty is up this could get quite costly.

#22 ·
I hear ya. The dealer called me today and said it was ready. Told me they replaced the power module. Wife wants to know why I was making a fuss over the heated seat and I told her if i don't do something now it will get worse. Well got in the car, hit the button and blink, no heated seats. Actually worse now because they won't work at all. Back in the loaner. Actually felt sorry for this service guy. Started thinking about the Kia but I'm going to see how this plays out.

#23 ·
Well got the car back today, seats are operating as they should (says Mazda). They are aware that this issue is a concern for some of their customers and are working on a fix. Really disappointed in Mazda but I'm done. I have owned many new cars by different manufacturers and Mazda is right down at the bottom with Infiniti in my experience. I love the design and still consider the brand reliable but cannot trust their service to keep my car working after the warranty has expired. Considering the growing complexity of these vehicles this is a big concern for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.