2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sponsored Editorial Content
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Mazda will resume production of vehicles on March 22nd, an encouraging sign for the Japanese auto industry as it battles a catastrophic series of events that has seen most automakers in the country suspend production.

With Mazda based in Hiroshima, hundreds of miles away from the earthquake, tsunami and on-going nuclear incidents, the company has fared better than other car companies, Mazda said it will resume production on March 22nd, with a focus on spare parts and vehicles using "in process" inventories. Mazda said that it will announced medium and long-term production in the near future, but is unable to decide at this point in time.

More: Mazda To Resume Production March 22nd on AutoGuide.com

·
Pearl White Zoom!
732 Posts
Nice to hear some good news for their economy.

And just saw my first green Mazda2 in the parking lot here at work today.

·
Car Nerd
814 Posts
I heard all the major car factories around Fukushima are allowed only one work shift per day, due to power constraints. I hope this all works out without any major issues...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Problem will be parts. Quite a few of these companies are located in Tohoku and Kanto Prefectures. Winds are expected to change direction this weekend, blowing the radioactive cloud south of Chiba and Tokyo.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Ironic that being based in Hiroshima is now the safer place. I'm interested to know if there will be a delay to the 2012 Mazda Sky G engine. I'm very happy I have my Mazda and Citizen watch. Two pieces of superior Japanese engineering I purchased before supplies diminish and prices rise.

My thoughts go out to those in Japan who are struggling from the effects of two natural and one man made disaster. I respect their calm in the face of adversity and know they will recover.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I'd bet money that this may accelerate the use of the Sky-G engine. Because of the "just-in-time" model followed by the Japanese, parts for the older engine design will be limited. Why not take the opportunity to change over now? Supposedly, the newer engine will be cheaper overall to produce.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts