2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mazda recalls 88,000 vehicles for programming glitch | Reuters

Looks like they're doing a recall of approx. 88,000 vehicles with production dates of 10/2012 to 1/2014 and it includes Third Gen 3s that have the iEloop regenerative braking. The engine control computer has some sort of glitch that causes it to read the capacitor function incorrectly.

Anybody that goes in for the fix, be sure to get your update to Connect OS v29 if they have it available. It's going live in North America now.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Apparently this hits Japan the hardest with significant percentages of European spec cars having the issue as well.

Since i-Eloop is only available on the top end model in the US, only ~6500 US spec cars are affected per Autoblog. No word on Canadian numbers but it's probably likewise small.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Anyone know if they will fix this now or its something that will take a couple weeks to get out to dealers? My guess is dealers probably don't even know about it and won't for a few weeks.

Edit: Just called my dealer, they have no idea.. typical.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I've not had good luck with my dealer personally, but in theory the dealer should have the ECU flash within a day or two and start sending out recall notices. Whether the dealer is on the ball or not, Mazda corporate's going to lean on them for any safety issue.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Like I've said before, the technology on the iELOOP is both not necessary and will cause a lot of problems in the future. This is one of the main reasons I didn't get the sGT tech package even though I was really tempted. I believe they will have both repair issues and perhaps some lawsuits for promising increased mpg. I still think the city braking and radar cruise will have issues to come due to activities they create that drivers don't want. Eventually, those technologies will mature and user's will be able to program the actions they want. But now, they may well be dangerous especially if they have problems like iELOOP. I can see things like the capacitor getting too hot and possibly causing a fire or the radar cruise suddenly speeding up instead of slowing down. I love new technology and gadgets, but this stuff is still in the beta stage and could be dangerous. If they were just infotainment sorts of things I'd be on board. But these things take over control of your car and being a beta tester can be detrimental to your body. Good luck, everyone.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Like I've said before, the technology on the iELOOP is both not necessary and will cause a lot of problems in the future. This is one of the main reasons I didn't get the sGT tech package even though I was really tempted. I believe they will have both repair issues and perhaps some lawsuits for promising increased mpg. I still think the city braking and radar cruise will have issues to come due to activities they create that drivers don't want. Eventually, those technologies will mature and user's will be able to program the actions they want. But now, they may well be dangerous especially if they have problems like iELOOP. I can see things like the capacitor getting too hot and possibly causing a fire or the radar cruise suddenly speeding up instead of slowing down. I love new technology and gadgets, but this stuff is still in the beta stage and could be dangerous. If they were just infotainment sorts of things I'd be on board. But these things take over control of your car and being a beta tester can be detrimental to your body. Good luck, everyone.

Same here. I'm on the 7th gen vw golf forum, since I was interested in that car as well. I've read some folks with the forward collision prevention feature have issues once in a while. One issue was when driving on the freeway and a big rig was too close or merging into their lane or something, the car slammed on its brakes. I still don't trust those technology =/

·
Registered
352 Posts
I don't think the likely outcome is going to be nearly that dire for the Tech package stuff on the sGT, but I'd be lying it I said that buying an sTouring wasn't motivated by avoiding sGT features more so than saving $.

I actively avoided the sunroof for fit reasons (I'm 6'4"/195cm) but although the i-Eloop looks like by far the best mild hybrid system yet, my ownership experiences with mild hybrids has been... very, very bad. I distrust those systems to an extreme degree, and it's not something you can ignore. If there's a problem with the ADD out of warranty, I pull the fuse and go on with my life. If there's a problem with i-Eloop, that's a costly repair bill since its integral to the power train OR a costly process to pull the system and "downgrade" the system to sTouring spec. Still I'm impressed that the results with the hybrid are better than I had expected-- it would be a nice to have, but also a nice-to-have-somebody-else-beta-test-first kind of thing.

I'm not sure if the City Brake Assist or Lane Keeping stuff is going to be a net positive or negative in the long run. I can see benefit to the cost if it saves your bacon, though.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I don't think the likely outcome is going to be nearly that dire for the Tech package stuff on the sGT, but I'd be lying it I said that buying an sTouring wasn't motivated by avoiding sGT features more so than saving $.

I actively avoided the sunroof for fit reasons (I'm 6'4"/195cm) but although the i-Eloop looks like by far the best mild hybrid system yet, my ownership experiences with mild hybrids has been... very, very bad. I distrust those systems to an extreme degree, and it's not something you can ignore. If there's a problem with the ADD out of warranty, I pull the fuse and go on with my life. If there's a problem with i-Eloop, that's a costly repair bill since its integral to the power train OR a costly process to pull the system and "downgrade" the system to sTouring spec. Still I'm impressed that the results with the hybrid are better than I had expected-- it would be a nice to have, but also a nice-to-have-somebody-else-beta-test-first kind of thing.

I'm not sure if the City Brake Assist or Lane Keeping stuff is going to be a net positive or negative in the long run. I can see benefit to the cost if it saves your bacon, though.
I did buy the sGT because I did want the leather and the adaptive headlights. In my neck of the woods there are a lot of curvy roads with no lights and the adaptive headlights have already saved my bacon a few times. I never use the sunroof, but I'm on the shorter side so who cares. The iELOOP is NOT a hybrid in any sense since there is only one power plant. The only reason to have the lane change tech is if you tend to fall asleep at the wheel or do texting while driving, or you are putting on your makeup or toupee. I do have the blind spot monitor and rear view camera, and those are great.

·
Registered
352 Posts
It's a mild hybrid. I know that's confusing terminology, but it's any hybrid that doesn't provide propulsion.

I don't mean to be too hard on sGT Tech owners. Like I said, the actual mileage improvements for iEloop are more than what I expected, Mazda has caught the problem and fixed it with an ECU programming change. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a huge deal to fix.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Same here. I'm on the 7th gen vw golf forum, since I was interested in that car as well. I've read some folks with the forward collision prevention feature have issues once in a while. One issue was when driving on the freeway and a big rig was too close or merging into their lane or something, the car slammed on its brakes. I still don't trust those technology =/
Luckily, the SCBS on the 3 only works at or below 19mph, so my car will not get me rear-ended on the freeway. But, if I'm unlucky, it could conceivably get me rear-ended in a parking lot. Or it could avoid a collision in a parking lot, which seems more likely than making a mistake at low speed like that.

@rvoll i-ELOOP should not have problems overheating. Certain batteries overheat when being charged or discharged too quickly. Capacitors are designed to charge and discharge quickly, so that seems highly unlikely. They may have unexpected lifespan issues, but again, capacitors like this aren't really a new technology, so this also seems unlikely. EDLCs (electric double layer capacitors) have been around for a long time, work well, last far longer than even lead-acid batteries, and are pretty benign environmentally. Mazda made a good choice.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
It's a mild hybrid. I know that's confusing terminology, but it's any hybrid that doesn't provide propulsion.

I don't mean to be too hard on sGT Tech owners. Like I said, the actual mileage improvements for iEloop are more than what I expected, Mazda has caught the problem and fixed it with an ECU programming change. It doesn't sound like it's going to be a huge deal to fix.
Actually a mild hybrid does have both gas and electric propulsion. The difference is that in a mild hybrid, the car cannot run on electric motors alone. The iELOOP, again, is not either a hybrid or a mild hybrid.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Luckily, the SCBS on the 3 only works at or below 19mph, so my car will not get me rear-ended on the freeway. But, if I'm unlucky, it could conceivably get me rear-ended in a parking lot. Or it could avoid a collision in a parking lot, which seems more likely than making a mistake at low speed like that.

Also, i-ELOOP should not have problems overheating. Certain batteries overheat when being charged or discharged too quickly. Capacitors are designed to charge and discharge quickly, so that seems highly unlikely. They may have unexpected lifespan issues, but again, capacitors like this aren't really a new technology, so this also seems unlikely.
This capacitor is different than the normal capacitors you and I are used to. It does store energy like a battery for a short period of time or else it would have virtually no effect.

·
Registered
275 Posts
This capacitor is different than the normal capacitors you and I are used to. It does store energy like a battery for a short period of time or else it would have virtually no effect.
Yes, it is a supercapacitor, with technology invented in the mid-20th century. All capacitors store energy, but most of them "bleed" current fairly rapidly. Supercapacitors like this are far better than normal capacitors at storing a charge for long periods. Unlike batteries, these capacitors do not cause a chemical reaction, just polarization of existing bonds. So components don't corrode and fatigue like they do in batteries (some still occurs, but in different ways).

Double-layer capacitance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I like the LDWS. In addition to the uses you mentioned, I find it was helpful in coaching me to stay in the middle of the lane. Most people drift towards the edge of the lane in a curve, and some (okay, many) people cross the line somewhat. With the default setting, the LDWS alerts you before you get to the line. I now drive much more consistently in curves thanks to the alerts. I think this makes me a safer driver overall (if only slightly). And no one's perfect, what's wrong with a system that alerts you if you doze off? Haven't you ever driven long distances and gotten a little tired? You're not a cyborg. Having a system help you stay alert and paying attention is a good thing, if not abused.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So I"m picking up my 3s GT with Tech package tomorrow and I happened to run across this post. So I called the dealership and told the service manager and he ran a VIN check but came up empty. Does that mean it doesn't affect Canadian cars?

·
Registered
590 Posts
So I"m picking up my 3s GT with Tech package tomorrow and I happened to run across this post. So I called the dealership and told the service manager and he ran a VIN check but came up empty. Does that mean it doesn't affect Canadian cars?
NO, my brother checked the system, and Mazda has not updated the VIN recall database.

Will be done next week. ALL CARS with eloop built before the end of 01/2014 will be recalled.

And of course, I will get mine done asap cause, I don't want to be stranded, to many hungry wolves...lol...:nono:

·
Registered
371 Posts
Or your car was made after the recall period.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You know they must have known about this for a few months. Cause cars made after January are not effected

·
Registered
310 Posts
At 6'4", I don't think the sunroof would give you problems. I'm 6'8" and fit just fine in a 3 with the sunroof.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts