2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed solid shifter base bushings in my new 2010 Speed3 yesterday and found two of the four holes drilled in the shifter plate have different diameters. This caused two of the four bushings not to be seated securely in the shifter plate. The metal grommet inserts also were of different wall thickness and one seemed to have been mashed to the point that it was oblong instead of round. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this when installing their shifter bushings.

Attachments

·
1,091 Posts
Updated the thread title to properly reflect the contents.

And yes, of the two shift bushing installations I've done the stock ones looked similar. The aftermarket shift bushings are not machined to 100% mate up with the stock shift locations, but they provide a solid point to mount the shifter itself which, when tightend down properly work as intended. The ones you bought are virtually identical across several vehicles and the ones we put in my buddy's 06 Civic are no different.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think it wouldn't be too much to ask of a car manufacturer to
drill or mold 4 consistent diameter holes in the same part within 8 inches of each
other. You are correct I believe in saying that if the new bolts are properly
torqued to the new metal bushings there would probably be no problem. Time
will tell. And then there is the issue of different type metal inserts. I just expect
more consistency that's all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I would think it wouldn't be too much to ask of a car manufacturer to
drill or mold 4 consistent diameter holes in the same part within 8 inches of each
other. You are correct I believe in saying that if the new bolts are properly
torqued to the new metal bushings there would probably be no problem. Time
will tell. And then there is the issue of different type metal inserts. I just expect
more consistency that's all.
Hey man I know this is suuuuper late but this is exactly what I was looking for. Do you remember what position and which ones go where? I am in the process of putting them back but I don't recall their previous positions

1 - 4 of 4 Posts