1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge Demon's A/C helps its supercharged Hemi make more power

By Reese Counts Published March 30, 2017FoxNews.com
demon cool
Staying cool is one important key to performance. Simply, more air means more power, and cool, dense air is better than hot air. While forced induction might help make copious amounts of horsepower, turbos and superchargers produce heat. Intercoolers help, but the new Dodge Demon and its supercharged Hemi need a bit of an extra boost. In Drag Mode, the Demon's engine commandeers the car's air conditioning system to help chill things out.

The Demon will have the first production application of a liquid-to-air charge air cooler chiller system. Literally, the car's air conditioning system is used to cool the air going into the engine, dropping temps by up to 45 degrees Fahrenheit. Dodge claims the system helps achieve "temperatures previously unattainable by pressure-charged street-legal production vehicles."

·
Registered
146 Posts
So, whatever HP you gain from bringing chilled air into the intake will be offset by the HP used by the A/C compressor, probably resulting in a net loss, not a gain.

·
Registered
659 Posts
So, whatever HP you gain from bringing chilled air into the intake will be offset by the HP used by the A/C compressor, probably resulting in a net loss, not a gain.
Do you really think the engineers are too stupid to understand this concept? If there was no net gain, they would not be releasing this on a production car. Compressors are getting more efficient, and a 45 degree drop in temperature is going to allow a heck of alot more air volume in the cylinder - apparently more than enough to over come the parasitic losses from the compressor else this would never have gotten past the drawing board.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I literally shook my head at this. How would anyone think that the engineers behind something like this would even bother doing it if it resulted in a net loss? It's a seriously good concept and will just make the Demons even faster than our slow Mazdas.

·
Registered
720 Posts
I literally shook my head at this. How would anyone think that the engineers behind something like this would even bother doing it if it resulted in a net loss? It's a seriously good concept and will just make the Demons even faster than our slow Mazdas.
My Mazda is plenty quick. In fact, while the Demon is at the gas pump, I'll pass him for the win!>:)

Reactions: GerryB and Stelth3
1 - 5 of 5 Posts