2004 to 2016 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

901 - 920 of 920 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dear people
Any one know about maybe a new cable set:
C922-V6-606
I am trying to buy a kit for internet and I found a seller for internet selling a kit with (hub and cables) with these cables set.
Greetings

·
Registered
9 Posts
This was one of the first upgrades I bought when I got my used 2018 GT Hatchback last month, but I hadn't found a nice block of time to do the work until today. The work proceeded patiently and flawlessly to a successful conclusion. Note:

• I bought the kit from Med Center Mazda (mazdaparts.org), kit part 0000-8F-Z34 (included USB hub TK78-66-9U0C and USB cables C922-V6-605A).
  • I downloaded and printed the instructions from Med Center Mazda, and also watched the YouTube video by Nate Pepper.
  • I used one of my nylon trim tools to carefully pry out the dash trim and console plates. If you don't have trim tools, buy some. They're inexpensive.
  • That 10mm bolt securing the head unit is difficult to remove and insert without dropping, so be careful.
  • Yes, you must remove the entire center console. I knew this going in. Don't try to find a short cut. I cleaned some dried drink spillage from the previous owner while I was in there.
  • 28 of the 30 foam strips were used to wrap the cable set, leaving two for the two unused connectors within. I did not use any to secure cables as shown in the instructions (none of the other cables are secured in such a way).
  • I used zip ties to bundle the loop of extra cable tucked within the right side of the console.
  • I used another zip tie to secure the cable which was taped to a T-fixture inside the console. That was the only one I could not pop out.
  • With the shifter boot removed, I tapped some tight fitting nylon washers into the rod to hold up the boot against the Spherology knob I installed recently.
This upgrade works very well with Google Maps, Audible, Rocket Player, and more. It was definitely worth the effort.

Yes - take it all apart:

Your effort will be rewarded:

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm almost afraid to ask... I haven't logged in in a while partly due to the redesign that made the forum much less useful but anyway, what happened to the actual update thread by ASH8, with all the info and links?

·
Registered
630 Posts
It was deleted by the forum owners, probably due to a legel request. This happened to the geniuine AA/CP update thread as well as to the MZD firmware update thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Well that's disappointing. Just by chance I went to the dealer this past week and saw a notice that they were installing AA/Carplay for $600-700 (!). This is US dollars. Glad to have gotten in when I could but sucks for newbs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
LOOKING for some Technical Advice: I am interested in upgrading the Infotainment firmware to the version supporting Apple Car Play / Android. But I don't care about using the higher power USB hardware. I'm fine to charge my phone more frequently or another way. Any way to just do the firmware upgrade and avoid the invasive disassembly of the dash & shifter console?

·
Registered
630 Posts
No. If you want to use official Apple Carplay / Android Auto, then you have to install the new firmware (FW) and the new hardware (hub+cables). Just with the FW this does not work.

·
Registered
107 Posts
True. With just the firmware upgrade, AA/CP does not even show up in menus.

·
Registered
107 Posts
  • Yes, you must remove the entire center console. I knew this going in. Don't try to find a short cut. I cleaned some dried drink spillage from the previous owner while I was in there.
Here is a shortcut that can be used to avoid disassembling the center console for 2017-2018 Mazda3's to remove the old USB hub...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here is a shortcut that can be used to avoid disassembling the center console for 2017-2018 Mazda3's to remove the old USB hub...
I did view that video before proceeding, but the shortcut involving drilling is a non-starter with me. There's no way I would endorse that method, considering how removal of the center console was really not difficult. Your preference may vary, of course.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I did view that video before proceeding, but the shortcut involving drilling is a non-starter with me. There's no way I would endorse that method, considering how removal of the center console was really not difficult. Your preference may vary, of course.
OK, I'm man enough to admit my struggles and mistakes for all to see (and ridicule)...
I tried the shortcut drilling method that I myself provided above and still had a hard time sliding the old hub out. I then tried to pull the hub out and wound up pulling out just the faceplate of the hub. Frustrated, I used my pry tool to get the hub out and wound up pushing the hub into the dash. I had to use tin snips to cut the edges of the old hub before I was FINALLY able to yank it out. It took me 2 freaking hours to remove the hub. Upon closer examination, my mistake was that I did not drill close enough to the edges of the hub (I was worried that the drill bit will slip and scratch the dash trim). This resulted in me not breaking all the tabs.
In hindsight, I should have just removed the center console as you suggested. I actually did this before to install nylon washers underneath the shift boot, and it wasn't that hard. I also have a Sphereology shift knob, BTW.
Anyways, AA is finally up and running in my car! Been meaning to do it for a while.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I'm almost afraid to ask... I haven't logged in in a while partly due to the redesign that made the forum much less useful but anyway, what happened to the actual update thread by ASH8, with all the info and links?
Don't feel bad, the redesing made this place suck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, sucks that main thread got taken down... I downloaded the PDFs with the instructions, but not the firmware since I use a Mac. Any ideas where I can find the firmware now?

901 - 920 of 920 Posts