2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Matthew,

Thank you for contacting Mazda.

In regards to your inquiry, Mazda recommends 87 octane rated fuel for your vehicle with an ethanol blend of no more than 10%. You may also reference page 4-2 in your owner's manual for additional information.

Your feedback regarding your experience is important and is valued. The details that you described have been documented for our corporate record. We continuously evaluate these records as part of our ongoing commitment to provide only the highest quality products and services and the file number which references your email is 142156460.

Should you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to contact me at the number below.

Jason
Representative, Customer Assistance
Mazda North American Operations
(800) 222-5500 – Ext. 1163

Controversial E15 Fuel Blend Is on the Way - Edmunds.com

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
Ethanol is probably the stupidest part of "the green initiative." It damages old cars, and it lowers fuel efficiency in most cars. Oh, by the way, it also makes us use more fossil fuel because it takes fuel to manufacture and ship that thing around the continent. Also, according to my previous research adviser who owns 50+ patents in fuel chemistry, ethanol emits more CO2 upon combustion than any kind of fossil fuel.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Ethanol is probably the stupidest part of "the green initiative." It damages old cars, and it lowers fuel efficiency in most cars. Oh, by the way, it also makes us use more fossil fuel because it takes fuel to manufacture and ship that thing around the continent. Also, according to my previous research adviser who owns 50+ patents in fuel chemistry, ethanol emits more CO2 upon combustion than any kind of fossil fuel.
pretty sure ethanol has way lower emissions, yea fuel economy sucks, but it's been shown that you can get same as gas economy in cars with 18:1 comp ratio and some other factors

·
Broke Postbac.
536 Posts
pretty sure ethanol has way lower emissions, yea fuel economy sucks, but it's been shown that you can get same as gas economy in cars with 18:1 comp ratio and some other factors
Ethanol can, theoretically, emit less CO2. However, the distillers currently used in manufacturing cannot produce that perfect ethanol yet.

·
Dont drive fast! Fly Low!
249 Posts
It depends a lot, in Brasil you can pick gasoline or ethanol, you get a few more power on ethanol.
If ethanol is much cheaper than gasoline, it's better to use ethanol, because you spend more money. There is a math to do and see what would be the best option.
Another problem is that in US ethanol is mostly made of corn while in Brasil it's made of sugar cane that you can make sugar, ethanol, Brazilian rum (Cachaça) :D and need much less area and produce all year round.

·
EtOH
30 Posts
Just an FYI, the 2012.5+ Focus is now flexfuel while the Mazda3 is not. I've actually heard of problems with Ethanol on some Mazdas in the past. Specifically MS3 having problems with the HPFP and RX-8s corroding fuel system components. So it looks like Mazda took shortcuts on Ethanol compatibility.

Very few people run anything but Gasoline or Gasohol in their Mazda3s, 6s, and MX-5s. If anyone hears otherwise please let me know. I have a Mazda5 now but I'm always looking for info on people running E85 in their cars, FFV or converted.

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Ive been using 4 gallons of e85 everyday since beginning of 2012.. Never had a problem. The problem with fuel pump malfunction is due to gunk that is collected from the tank. The ethanol gradually liffted all the gunk in the tank, so eventually the hpfp will get clogged. Also ive seen that with people that just starded using 50% mix or more ethanol and had the car for many miles.

I bet that my tank right now is sparkling clean lol... And i can finally go full 100% e85

·
Registered
518 Posts
Ive been using 4 gallons of e85 everyday since beginning of 2012.. Never had a problem. The problem with fuel pump malfunction is due to gunk that is collected from the tank. The ethanol gradually liffted all the gunk in the tank, so eventually the hpfp will get clogged. Also ive seen that with people that just starded using 50% mix or more ethanol and had the car for many miles.

I bet that my tank right now is sparkling clean lol... And i can finally go full 100% e85
Can any mazdas just imitate your methods and work as well? Thanks

·
stupid teacha bitch!
2,193 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Does it require a tune? Thanks

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Yes it does... Coz the ecu is only based on gasoline only. The ethanol has different effect to the afr's and causing it to go lean

Reactions: narthur28

·
Registered
5,636 Posts
What Oliver said. To elaborate E85 and gasoline have a different specific gravity. The ecu is set for gasolines density so it has to be told the specific gravity of E85 to calculate the afr's correctly. Then the injectors need to be told to stay open longer to supply more E85 to the cylinders because its less dense and more needs to be injected per injector pulse.
@narthur28 You have another pm.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Thanks warlord. also just realied we're running on the same tires! =)

Reactions: warlord

·
EtOH
30 Posts
I emailed Mazda USA about E85 and they ignored my questions by talking about Skyactiv. I found an initiative on their international website from 2009 of them planning to introduce FFVs to North American in march 2010 and they emailed me back about how great Skyactiv is...

Here's the PDF I found on their website if anyone is interested. It's only 4 pages and besides mentioning hybrids on page 3 they mentioned FFVs and E85 on the top of page 4. I thought it was interesting to say the least.

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts