2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

New to the forum here... I just got a 2015 Mazda 3 Hatch and it's going for its first actual maintentance (oil change & tire rotation). My question is, do you guys think the recommended services (45,000 miles, 50,000 miles, etc.) are worth it?

This is the list of services they claim to do for about $80 for a 45,000 mile recommended service.

Replace engine oil and filter
Rotate tires
Inspect brake fluid level
Inspect disc brakes
Inspect engine coolant level
Inspect exhaust system and heat shields
Inspect function of all lights
Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear
Inspect washer fluid level
Lubricate all locks and hinges

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Those are all items in your maintenance schedule in your owners manual. They're not so much recommended as they are necessary to maintain your warranty. If its up, well its your choice. I have an unlimited mileage warranty of my 15.

Reality it if your warranty is up, most of this you can do yourself. Even lubricating the locks and hinges is dead easy. If they're rotating the tires, they can easily check the brakes while the wheels are off.

Fair warning: the front brakes are great, but the rears tend to wear down prematurely. I had to replace my rear pads and rotors at 80k kms and most of that was highway driving. I did not find any seizing in the calipers at all.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
If you done a fluid flush in the last 4 years:

transmission (auto)
brake fluid (darker colours are bad)
engine coolant
Steering fluid

The vital fluids.

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
As long as you find a good dealership with a good service department... use them. Mazda doesn't recommend things unless they are important.

They put the driver (their customers) as their top priority and operate their business with that in mind.
CK

Reactions: connorhiller

·
My Other Car is a Holden
79 Posts
This is the list of services they claim to do for about $80 for a 45,000 mile recommended service.

Replace engine oil and filter - actual service
Rotate tires - actual service

Inspect brake fluid level - BS
Inspect disc brakes - BS
Inspect engine coolant level - BS
Inspect exhaust system and heat shields - BS
Inspect function of all lights - BS
Inspect tire inflation pressure and tire wear - BS
Inspect washer fluid level - BS
Lubricate all locks and hinges - BS
$80 for a tire rotation and an oil change is decent, even better if it's synthetic oil.

As long as you find a good dealership with a good service department... use them. Mazda doesn't recommend things unless they are important.

They put the driver (their customers) as their top priority and operate their business with that in mind.
CK
Corporate altruism is rarely more than a marketing strategy, especially with automotive manufactures.

·
Registered
569 Posts
$80 for a tire rotation and an oil change is decent, even better if it's synthetic oil.

Corporate altruism is rarely more than a marketing strategy, especially with automotive manufactures.
Those are all items in your maintenance schedule in your owners manual. They're not so much recommended as they are necessary to maintain your warranty. If its up, well its your choice. I have an unlimited mileage warranty of my 15.

Reality it if your warranty is up, most of this you can do yourself. Even lubricating the locks and hinges is dead easy. If they're rotating the tires, they can easily check the brakes while the wheels are off.

Fair warning: the front brakes are great, but the rears tend to wear down prematurely. I had to replace my rear pads and rotors at 80k kms and most of that was highway driving. I did not find any seizing in the calipers at all.
Sounds like I can keep my prom dress on for this servicing.

·
Registered
301 Posts
You're correct the 2014+ uses the $1,800 cdn motor
My son's '07 had a power steering fluid leak this year. We replaced the power steering line assembly with an OEM version for $50, and spend another $5 on fluid.

I don't know if power steering pumps ever really need replacing, but $55 for as much maintenance as we're ever likely to do on a power steering system is pretty dang cheap.

Although $1800 cdn might only be like USD $47.23 or something. Not quite sure of the exchange rate these days.

·
Mazda "E" Division
1,265 Posts
My son's '07 had a power steering fluid leak this year. We replaced the power steering line assembly with an OEM version for $50, and spend another $5 on fluid.

I don't know if power steering pumps ever really need replacing, but $55 for as much maintenance as we're ever likely to do on a power steering system is pretty dang cheap.

Although $1800 cdn might only be like USD $47.23 or something. Not quite sure of the exchange rate these days.
The gen1 M3 are around $1,200 for the pump and Gen3 is a electric motor $1800. Rarely fails, but expensive when they fail

·
Registered
2018 Mazda 3 GT
2,444 Posts
The Ultimate Racing exhaust cost me $509 total. $450 for the axle-back and $80 for the 4" rolled steel tips for a total of $530. 15% off of that due to their "holiday" special discount code and the shipping cost $58.50 on top of that.
CK

Reactions: MrBen

·
Registered
286 Posts
Those are all items in your maintenance schedule in your owners manual. They're not so much recommended as they are necessary to maintain your warranty.
I can't speak for other countries but in the USA at least, no car company or their dealer may void your warranty for simply not using their services. It's illegal (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). I was the only person to change the oil and do most servicing on my 2012 Elantra and kept religious service records to prove I had done them just in case it was necessary. It never was and I plan on DIY'ing my 3 as much as I can.

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/magnuson-moss/magnuson-moss-warranty-act/

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I can't speak for other countries but in the USA at least, no car company or their dealer may void your warranty for simply not using their services. It's illegal (Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act). I was the only person to change the oil and do most servicing on my 2012 Elantra and kept religious service records to prove I had done them just in case it was necessary. It never was and I plan on DIY'ing my 3 as much as I can.

https://automotiveaftermarket.org/magnuson-moss/magnuson-moss-warranty-act/
Very true in the US, that particular act makes me jealous. We don't have anything that comprehensive here.

On the other side of things, we do have some stuff that is helpful such as implied warranty. It was a court case many years ago now where the judge actually put mileage numbers on major components (such as engine or transmission) for implied warranty. The reasoning is if you've maintained it and it fails before that,its defective.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not worth it. They r unlikely to do anything. I went in for my free oil change and the did not do it. Do it yourself if at all possible. You can not trust these people.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts