2004 to 2020 Mazda 3 Forum and Mazdaspeed 3 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Mazda 3 GT hatch
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide between a 3 Hatch Turbo or the Premium Plus with extra features, including Traffic Jam Assist. My current 2017 Hatch has the Radar Cruise and while I love it, it does have some flaws and isn't the smoothest system.

Any owners who upgraded from Gen 3 to Gen 4 with either regular MRC or MRC w/ TJA care to comment on whether the system was upgraded and if TJA is worth it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMO TJ isn’t executed well. I feel it would be better if the car didn’t come to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops during traffic, which kind of defeats the point of feeling like it’s autonomous during bumper to bumper traffic. Additionally the autonomous steering isn’t the most accurate and I find it has trouble staying within the center of your lane without your constant added input to the steering.

Get the turbo.

·
Registered
44 Posts
The only time TJA works well is on the highway. It usually won’t even activate on regular roads but when it does it isn’t all that great.

·
Registered
969 Posts
IMO TJ isn’t executed well. I feel it would be better if the car didn’t come to a complete stop if the car in front of you stops during traffic, which kind of defeats the point of feeling like it’s autonomous during bumper to bumper traffic. Additionally the autonomous steering isn’t the most accurate and I find it has trouble staying within the center of your lane without your constant added input to the steering.

Get the turbo.
I haven't fully figured it out myself. But why should it not stop if the car in front of you stops? Or do you mean it's ok to stop, but should start back on its own? I'd agree with that I think...

Also I haven't noticed any autonomous steering, to the point I'm not even sure it's working properly. Anyone know if that's a separate setting?

All in all I tend to agree. A little too new to be super useful, but hopefully a firmware update will improve upon it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Also I haven't noticed any autonomous steering, to the point I'm not even sure it's working properly. Anyone know if that's a separate setting?
Make sure you have the TJA on not just the MRC. You have to be going less than 40mph, the steering wheel will turn green when it either recognizes the car in front and is following or it recognizes the lane markings. It’s nice to have if you are on the highway in bumper to bumper traffic but overall it’s not that useful because it usually won’t activate on 30mph neighborhood roads and I’m never going less than 40mph otherwise

·
Registered
2019 Mazda 3 Hatchback AWD 2.5G
269 Posts
If you can afford it then I would get it, that said while the MRC wasn't anything to write home about when I first bought mine in 2019 its incredibly smooth now after a software update earlier this year. At first it drove like a scared teenager. Took off the line really slow in start stop and got on brakes sharply every time someone merged in front of me. Now it handles people cutting you off like a champ and I would say even smoother than the 2021 Volvo XC90 I used for a week. The Volvo did have Pilot Assist which is their auto steering adaptive cruise control but the adaptive cruise control part did brake more suddenly then needed for the situation most of the time.

·
Registered
969 Posts
If you can afford it then I would get it, that said while the MRC wasn't anything to write home about when I first bought mine in 2019 its incredibly smooth now after a software update earlier this year. At first it drove like a scared teenager. Took off the line really slow in start stop and got on brakes sharply every time someone merged in front of me. Now it handles people cutting you off like a champ and I would say even smoother than the 2021 Volvo XC90 I used for a week. The Volvo did have Pilot Assist which is their auto steering adaptive cruise control but the adaptive cruise control part did brake more suddenly then needed for the situation most of the time.
Do you use it exclusively on the highway, or will it work in city traffic?

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm trying to decide between a 3 Hatch Turbo or the Premium Plus with extra features, including Traffic Jam Assist. My current 2017 Hatch has the Radar Cruise and while I love it, it does have some flaws and isn't the smoothest system.

Any owners who upgraded from Gen 3 to Gen 4 with either regular MRC or MRC w/ TJA care to comment on whether the system was upgraded and if TJA is worth it?
I just wanted to chime in and say your 2017 is a perfect candidate for OpenPilot, which is far superior to TJA. I wish I could say the 2019+ mazda3 was supported, but unfortunately it's not (yet). Check out my other thread if you want. 🙂

Reactions: perseus

·
Registered
26 Posts
I can say while I love the Radar cruise, it does have some issues as others have said. I like to keep at least a 4 car distance between me and the car in front of me. However if I set it up like that on the highway and someone moves over right in front of me to get out of the fast lane, the car brakes really hard and is pretty slow to get back up to speed. If I was not using it I may not break at all, other than a little tap to create a little more distance. So really, the only way to use it and keep this from being an issue is to make the distance the cloest one, which is really not safe IMO, not at highway speeds.

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
342 Posts
I can say while I love the Radar cruise, it does have some issues as others have said. I like to keep at least a 4 car distance between me and the car in front of me. However if I set it up like that on the highway and someone moves over right in front of me to get out of the fast lane, the car brakes really hard and is pretty slow to get back up to speed. If I was not using it I may not break at all, other than a little tap to create a little more distance. So really, the only way to use it and keep this from being an issue is to make the distance the cloest one, which is really not safe IMO, not at highway speeds.
Have you had the last software update recall? I've found that adaptive cruise control is much smoother than it used to be after having it installed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well we just purchased our car and we had to wait on it from the Port for two weeks, so I would assume it is on the latest?

·
Registered
2019 Mazda3 Sedan Premium AWD (April 2019 Japan build)
342 Posts
Well we just purchased our car and we had to wait on it from the Port for two weeks, so I would assume it is on the latest?
I would assume so. Supposedly they can't deliver a new car to a buyer with outstanding recalls on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts